Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Several weeks ago I started a prayer request called:

"Depression and Feelings of Hopelessness for a year."

Link: Depression and Feelings of Hopelessness for a year.

I have issues that I wasn't able to cover in that post. I decided that I wanted to start another prayer request, that highlights one of several problems that I need help from the Lord on.

I realize that getting a new job isn't necessarily going to make me happier. But part of the reason is that I'm unhappy is because of the human desire or need to be around other people. I'm a custodian for an Elementary School. I clean up the messes at night, in a big dark building. (They make us turn the lights off in the hallways to save energy, and that also includes the air conditioner in the warm months, and the heat in the cold months). I only have one co-worker, and He doesn't talk much. The building is so big that we only see each other 3 times a night, in an 8 hour period. Me and my old co-worker were basically friends, and we talked to each other. This guy is not talkative. A few of the teachers work into our work time, but the majority goes home as soon as they can. The ones who are left over are also not very talkative either. They tend to gravitate to other teachers.

This would not be a huge problem for me, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have any friends outside of work. In fact I have almost no human contact, except for my parents, outside of work. So while they are going home to their own family and friends, I go home to a dark house, and spend the weekend exhausted and by myself.

I've been doing this job for 20 years now, and it's been hard on my mental and physical health. Physically it's been causing my feet to break down. I've had to see a special foot doctor to have special insoles made for me. And I got to wear special shoes. This year I even bought myself a scooter just to help me get off my feet some. The kind of scooter I use is not cheep. You spend around a thousand dollars for it, and the school doesn't help you.

I suppose there is sin in the way I think and feel. I think I'm a weird person. I have some computer tech abilities, and even took two years of vocational school in electronics, during the late 90's. And yet I was never able to land a job in that field... There was an entry level build and solder circuit board job, that I worked for 4 weeks, and was fired because I didn't perform fast enough for them. Then I was a packer for an recreational vehicle plant, where I packaged replacement parts. They were going to let me go for not being fast enough there either. After an entire year of job searching, and I guess not performing the "song and dance" just right, I finally got the custodial job at the school. I think I got the job for several reasons. My dad was a bus driver/custodian for them. And they saw an opportunity to save some money with me. The guy I replaced worked year around, but I only work 9 months of the year. Soon after that they began to cut things down more, and more and more and more. We are a skeleton crew now. I think any normal person wouldn't have stayed as a 9 month person, for 20 years. They would of moved onto something different. The reason I haven't is because of how hard it is for me to move on.

I don't want to argue about learning disabilities. Do they exist, or maybe they don't kind of thing... All I can testify too is that when I was a student, I always had trouble keeping up with the class. I did not have friends, nor did I have time to play sports, or do music etc. The only way I made it through school, was to spend hours and hours on homework. I was diagnosed with a learning disability. I got a little help during my elementary school years, but after that things got weird. I could write another paragraph on that...

Just to address people who have pointed this out on other sites...
I guess some people like to witch hunt for liars... If you don't think I'm telling the truth, then that is ok with me. Just ask that you don't bother me with it. I heard it before. "You don't have a learning disability because you write good." Look! if your thinking that, It isn't my fault that most people on the internet write sloppy posts. I just try to do the best I can. I just think most people have gotten comfortable with writing those really quick text messages, and they spend too much time on twitter. Where as I write my stuff, like I was taught to write in high school during the mid 90's.

I don't think I have it in me to take collage courses in person or online. If I struggled that hard to make it through regular school, I have no idea why I could make it through collage. Also now days I'm tired all the time. But it seems like a person needs collage to land a descent job.

Due to the recent pandemic, and the fact that many people don't want to work anymore. A lot of places are looking to hire. And yet nobody seems to be applying for those jobs. It makes me wonder if it's just the fact that people make good money on unemployment. Or if maybe these places are making it hard to apply.

I want to show you the articles I read about Job Hunting.

11 Types of Job-Hunting Strategies (With Tips)
https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/job-hunting

Everything You Need to Know About Job Searching in the Digital Age
Everything You Need to Know About Job Searching in the Digital Age - businessnewsdaily.com

How to Job Hunt (When You’re Already Exhausted)

Overcoming Fear of Looking for a Job

What I haven't covered in this thread is my transportation problem. It seems that the slowness caused by my learning disability, makes it hard for me to drive places. My brain has problems learning and processing things on the road. Because of this I don't like driving in the city. Another problem is I get lost easy. This year I started a process to try and help myself. I bought two Garmin GPSes. The reason why I bought two models, is because I didn't know which one would work the best for me. I'm also trying to figure out how to use them and what is the best mounting system for my car. These things take time and effort.

Please Pray For Me!
I pray that you'll find a job that you'll be able to enjoy, and involves less moving around, so you can get off your feet.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have issues that I wasn't able to cover in that post. I decided that I wanted to start another prayer request, that highlights one of several problems that I need help from the Lord on.

I realize that getting a new job isn't necessarily going to make me happier. But part of the reason is that I'm unhappy is because of the human desire or need to be around other people. I'm a custodian for an Elementary School. I clean up the messes at night, in a big dark building. (They make us turn the lights off in the hallways to save energy, and that also includes the air conditioner in the warm months, and the heat in the cold months). I only have one co-worker, and He doesn't talk much. The building is so big that we only see each other 3 times a night, in an 8 hour period. Me and my old co-worker were basically friends, and we talked to each other. This guy is not talkative. A few of the teachers work into our work time, but the majority goes home as soon as they can. The ones who are left over are also not very talkative either. They tend to gravitate to other teachers.

This would not be a huge problem for me, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have any friends outside of work. In fact I have almost no human contact, except for my parents, outside of work. So while they are going home to their own family and friends, I go home to a dark house, and spend the weekend exhausted and by myself.

I've been doing this job for 20 years now, and it's been hard on my mental and physical health. Physically it's been causing my feet to break down. I've had to see a special foot doctor to have special insoles made for me. And I got to wear special shoes. This year I even bought myself a scooter just to help me get off my feet some. The kind of scooter I use is not cheep. You spend around a thousand dollars for it, and the school doesn't help you.

I suppose there is sin in the way I think and feel. I think I'm a weird person. I have some computer tech abilities, and even took two years of vocational school in electronics, during the late 90's. And yet I was never able to land a job in that field... There was an entry level build and solder circuit board job, that I worked for 4 weeks, and was fired because I didn't perform fast enough for them. Then I was a packer for an recreational vehicle plant, where I packaged replacement parts. They were going to let me go for not being fast enough there either. After an entire year of job searching, and I guess not performing the "song and dance" just right, I finally got the custodial job at the school. I think I got the job for several reasons. My dad was a bus driver/custodian for them. And they saw an opportunity to save some money with me. The guy I replaced worked year around, but I only work 9 months of the year. Soon after that they began to cut things down more, and more and more and more. We are a skeleton crew now. I think any normal person wouldn't have stayed as a 9 month person, for 20 years. They would of moved onto something different. The reason I haven't is because of how hard it is for me to move on.

I don't want to argue about learning disabilities. Do they exist, or maybe they don't kind of thing... All I can testify too is that when I was a student, I always had trouble keeping up with the class. I did not have friends, nor did I have time to play sports, or do music etc. The only way I made it through school, was to spend hours and hours on homework. I was diagnosed with a learning disability. I got a little help during my elementary school years, but after that things got weird. I could write another paragraph on that...

I guess some people like to witch hunt for liars... If you don't think I'm telling the truth, then that is ok with me. Just ask that you don't bother me with it. I heard it before. "You don't have a learning disability because you write good." Look! if your thinking that, It isn't my fault that most people on the internet write sloppy posts. I just try to do the best I can. I just think most people have gotten comfortable with writing those really quick text messages, and they spend too much time on twitter. Where as I write my stuff, like I was taught to write in high school during the mid 90's.

I don't think I have it in me to take collage courses in person or online. If I struggled that hard to make it through regular school, I have no idea why I could make it through collage. Also now days I'm tired all the time. But it seems like a person needs collage to land a descent job.

Due to the recent pandemic, and the fact that many people don't want to work anymore. A lot of places are looking to hire. And yet nobody seems to be applying for those jobs. It makes me wonder if it's just the fact that people make good money on unemployment. Or if maybe these places are making it hard to apply.

Everything You Need to Know About Job Searching in the Digital Age - businessnewsdaily.com

What I haven't covered in this thread is my transportation problem. It seems that the slowness caused by my learning disability, makes it hard for me to drive places. My brain has problems learning and processing things on the road. Because of this I don't like driving in the city. Another problem is I get lost easy. This year I started a process to try and help myself. I bought two Garmin GPSes. The reason why I bought two models, is because I didn't know which one would work the best for me. I'm also trying to figure out how to use them and what is the best mounting system for my car. These things take time and effort.

Please Pray For Me!
I pray you find a job you like and pays better where you won't have to be on your feet so much and you make many friends.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Please Pray For Me!
Praying for you brother! Like Lambano, I too can relate to the human contact thing for sure! God said it is not good for man to be alone and I do not believe that ONLY means in a marriage. Prayers for your provisions in all aspects.

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the prayers. :)

I have a love/hate feelings with forums too. (I'm not just talking about this site. I'm thinking about all the different forum sites I've ever been apart of).

LOVE: I love how forums can put me in contact with bunches of people from all over the world.

HATE: I have trouble processing everyone's opinions, as they get thrown at me all at once. So far I haven't had trouble with this here, but it's probably because I haven't been posting very often.

Both in real life and online, I think that I do a better job talking to people one on one. It is a lot easier for me to process an opinion of an individual then it is for me to process the opinions of bunches of people. On the Christian forum, that I chose to leave, I wrote a post about how I felt that people ignore me. Someone wrote a comment telling me that I do the same thing to others. I had to go and look at that person's past comments and I realized I wasn't responding to him. I wasn't responding because I didn't find his comments to be helpful. Not only did I find them not helpful, they kinda stung me too. So I just didn't engage with him. He equated that with me "ignoring" him.

I'm completely open to discussing points of views. But since it's easier for me to engage one on one. I would like to encourage that you share your opinions with me one on one. That way we would get to know one another. But I don't want any clash of opinions or even facts, to turn into a fight, or a reason to stop communication. I've experienced this way too often! Usually whenever Christians disagree with an idea that is based on scripture, it's because that idea comes from verses and passages that people are trying to figure out, which way to take them. Sometimes your trying to figure out how to follow the word, in your individual life circumstance. Depending on how you turn things, or add things up, you can come up with different views on things. Many months ago, I was emailing with one person, that I had met on the other Christian forum. We were to the point of comparing life notes. As long as I was agreeing with this person, everything was going fine. It was when we got into something a little controversial that everything fell apart. They informed me that they will be too busy to be talking with me anymore. And we haven't Emailed since!

I never understand why people allow such little things to rip them apart. Once you rip apart from someone there is no way either of you will ever convince the other.

After 20 years of failed attempts at online friendships. I mean the online friendships were like evolving doors. I started to feel like I wanted to get offline and try to do things the old fashion way. Whenever someone seemed like they wanted to be friends in real life, I would try to feed into that. But it's not really working out for me. The only people I'm around is at work. And it's briefly. I have discovered that I haft to do almost all the work. These teachers do not, look me up. People tell me "Don't take it personal". I guess that is just the way people behave in the workplace. The funny thing is, when I used to attend Church, I noticed that people were getting more and more like this there too! I thought to myself, I go to Church to be around fellow believers. To worship with fellow believers. To have fellowship with fellow believers. But instead it's turned into a spectator sport, where a minister stands up and says things like: "What you get out of Church is what you put into Church." I tried to be friendly to people, only to be silently rejected. One place I even tried to get into a small group, and they all announced "We are full". So much for trying to reach the lost people. So much for discipleship. If your perceived to be a little different then they are, then your really not welcomed into the group.

It's exactly the same way I feel at work. Anyways, one day at Church, I had my finger all bandaged up. It was in a thing to hold it stiff. The reason why is because, due to all the sinks, I clean at work, the joint in my finger became sore. The pastor noticed my finger and asked me what happened to it. I explained how the repetitious work I do made my finger sore. I responded by saying "I don't do manual labor" and walked away. At least He came over to talk to me? Most places I've been won't even do that!
Too many fall through the cracks in these church's brother, I have given up trying to "fit in". It is online watching only for me now. If you want to be shunned or made to feel "less than" (if different from them in any way) just walk into most church's today.
I pray you will be blessed with one or two god Christian friends brother.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Praying for you brother! Like Lambano, I too can relate to the human contact thing for sure! God said it is not good for man to be alone and I do not believe that ONLY means in a marriage. Prayers for your provisions in all aspects.
@Nancy Fellowship can be the answer to some of our prayers. Acts 2.42 includes fellowship as an essential activity to pursue.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to go watch something on TV. But I don't feel like I can concentrate on that until I get a chance to say something.

I often feel like my job is like hell. Here is why. Teachers and Students kinda feel like they can make as big of a mess as they want, and your expected to clean it up. But not only are you supposed to clean it up, but your also supposed to do it with a happy face, and a positive attitude. If someone makes a comment, your supposed to laugh it off, and make them feel good about themselves. Your also supposed to be the friendly one. When they pass you in the hallway, your supposed to be the one to act friendly, and yet not distract them. If they close a door on you, your supposed to skip that room and then come back later to do your work. In other words, you are kinda expected to worship the ground they walk on.

I really miss my old coworkers, because I could talk to them. I could vent with them. Now I don't have anyone to vent with.

One day I felt upset inside because someone asked me if I felt like Cinderella. They were trying to be funny. But the reality is, I do feel like Cinderella!
Hi Brother,
Well, as we are to do all things unto The Lord, that would include work but...no reason to "pretend" you enjoy it. Just do it and ignore the rest until God opens another door for you. Hopefully you have some kind of 401K that you can take with you so there will have something for retirement.
Would you be looking for the same sort of work, or something different?
I'm sure you know about Temp agencies. I've known many who have gotten permeant jobs through them. They might start out part time but, if they like your work, they will snap you up!
God bless and keep you in His hands as you search for a new place to work.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to go watch something on TV. But I don't feel like I can concentrate on that until I get a chance to say something.

I often feel like my job is like hell. Here is why. Teachers and Students kinda feel like they can make as big of a mess as they want, and your expected to clean it up. But not only are you supposed to clean it up, but your also supposed to do it with a happy face, and a positive attitude. If someone makes a comment, your supposed to laugh it off, and make them feel good about themselves. Your also supposed to be the friendly one. When they pass you in the hallway, your supposed to be the one to act friendly, and yet not distract them. If they close a door on you, your supposed to skip that room and then come back later to do your work. In other words, you are kinda expected to worship the ground they walk on.

I really miss my old coworkers, because I could talk to them. I could vent with them. Now I don't have anyone to vent with.

One day I felt upset inside because someone asked me if I felt like Cinderella. They were trying to be funny. But the reality is, I do feel like Cinderella!
I think that if I had a job where I was all alone, working graveyard or something, I would bring a Walkman and listen to books. It would help me catch up on my reading and learning new things might make the night go easier.

The job I have now requires that I work quickly and I found that fast music helps me work faster and it passes the time also.

Don't worry about college, we don't need any more college educated people. Our country has a much greater need for skilled labor, such as carpentry, construction worker, welder, pipefitter, plumber, hair stylist, teeth cleaner, etc. We need skilled people and right away. Some folks are taking advantage of skills training and sometimes companies will apprentice graduates.

Finally, the following scriptures have always helped me along the way. Here Paul is speaking to slaves but as I thought about it, employees are kinda slave like.

Ephesians 6:5-7
Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free.

The point is, all work is an opportunity for dignity. A man who picks up the garbage is dignified in his work. A man who drives a bus is dignified in his work. A person who helps children learn and grow in a clean environment has dignity in his or her work. And it is all made extra special when we work "as to Christ." He is our actual boss and if we do well, we are pleasing in his sight.

All I can say is that God must like custodians because he emphasizes cleanliness a lot. Good luck in your job hunt and making friends. It won't be long.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been listening to the 10 minute bible hour, and the bible experience. I got plenty of music. But still need some human company. Even if it was just for the weekend.
Just to be clear, I am not telling you what to do. You already know what to do, you just need someone to remind of what you already know. :) Right? You don't need company per se. What you need is meaning and fulfillment. A Christian finds this in his or her Lord, Jesus Christ. And the way we begin is to look for someone who needs help and we help them.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my job there really isn't very many opportunities to help others. I would say 98% of the time, you couldn't help anyone even if you wanted too. You are by yourself and they got you doing so much work that you almost can't even get the essentials done. BUT I have tried numerous times to try to establish a relationship and help someone get close to God. But people there are just so into themselves, and the job they are doing, that really they don't care.
As I say. It is YOU that needs to change, not them. That is, you need to change your perspective. You get paid by the company but you ultimately work for Jesus now. If you clean a toilet, sanitize it for Jesus. If you buff a floor, make it shine for Jesus. If you empty the trash, put things in order for Jesus. Whatever you do for him, he will be pleased.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello AlwaysOnAJouney,
First off, don't quit a job until you find one. That's a mistake people make. Find a church that has a Celebrate Recovery meeting. Its for all kinds of people, not just addicts. Its the kind of place you can meet people like yourself, and there are Counselors to help you and you could help others.

Nov 13, 2022
Honolulu
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I say. It is YOU that needs to change, not them. That is, you need to change your perspective. You get paid by the company but you ultimately work for Jesus now. If you clean a toilet, sanitize it for Jesus. If you buff a floor, make it shine for Jesus. If you empty the trash, put things in order for Jesus. Whatever you do for him, he will be pleased.
Amen AND AMEN! :pray:

@AlwaysOnAJourney ....A perfect example and opportunity in serving together with God and His Holy Spirit in Christ Jesus! :Thumbsup:

Back in the day, hubby and I were volunteers on the Levites Team at Church, they were the Tent Builders, Custodians, Groundskeepers, etc. for the Church, and every weekend service there were about 14k Christians that attended, so that's a LOT of scrubbing and cleaning going on throughout the weekends, but short on Levites.

One day during lunch break, some of our co-volunteers were complaining about all the mess that the last service left behind for us to clean, especially the bathrooms. I shared with them that whenever you're scrubbing a toilet and cleaning each bathroom stall, wiping the toilets seats, and everything that your hands touch, windows, doors/knobs, hallways, floors, you are laying on of hands and you intercede for each person that sits on that cleaned toilet, or washes their hands in the sinks afterwards, or using the paper towel dispenser, or drinking from the water fountains, walking through the hallways, etc., etc....We're praying and interceding for all those who uses these facilities, and thanking God for using us to scrub out these toilets and facilities as He's also scrubbing out all the "mess" in our hearts too! Praying God's Word for others as you're laying your hands on anything and everything is one of the most easiest ways we can serve God and His Kingdom...Never take this blessing of opportunity for the Lord lightly, you'll never know how God will move in your work life and in every area of your life, if we all prayed for each other this way...Schools are dumping grounds for fuel added to Satan's chaos that he's causing in the lives of everyone that walks those hallways...Spiritual Warfare is real and our schools are fertile ground along with our minds, IF we're not armored up in Christ and prepared for it! That's another sermon in itself...Chkl:
:tiphat:

You're doing good, never lose focus on Jesus! Keep Up The GOoD Work! :Thumbsup::Agreed:

Last edited: