Lord is a wonderful bank! Return the money to the Lord with love

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dattaswami8

Jun 10, 2017
Mumabi
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Lord is a wonderful bank! Return the money to the Lord with love

The Veda says that God is true and infinite knowledge (Satyam jnanam anantam…) and Guru Datta is the God. So Datta always speaks the truth whether you like it or not. This is the reason why Datta did not become famous. But now Datta is becoming famous since people are realizing the importance of truth. The effect of truth is permanent and real.

Generally, the approach of people to God is a sort of business. If you get a problem or you want something from the Lord, you approach God and bribe Him with money. Now, people are very alert with God! They pray to God Balaji in Tirupati, “Let this work be done. Then I will do such and such worship or I will offer so much money to you”. This shows that people even doubt God to offer anything prior to the work. This attitude cracks the very foundation, which is the faith in the existence of God. Another approach to God is like a beggar praising the house owner for food. The beggar explains his poverty and pitiable condition. This approach of a beggar is similar to the approach of a devotee of God with prayer and meditation without offering any money. The inner consciousness of this sort of rich devotee will be like this, “God may exist or may not exist.

If God exists, let me please Him with prayers. If He does not exist, my work might have succeeded on my own effort. Then I might foolishly attribute the success to God and offer Him money”. A poor man approaches God like a beggar. That is understood. But, a rich man also approaches God like a beggar only through prayers, because he doubts the very existence of God in his sub-conscious state. A thought in the sub-conscious state is very subtle and is not perceived by the mind. So, he does not agree to this point. But, Lord Datta knows even the subtlest thought, so He analyses it.

Offering money to Lord Datta as ‘Guru Dakshina’ is really appreciable because it is the practical sacrifice, which is the real test for love. You really love your wife and children and so you are giving your money to them. If you really love the Lord, you will give the money to Him. Money is called ‘Karma phala’ in the Gita i.e., the fruit of your work. Sacrifice of that money is called ‘Karma Phala Tyaga’, which is stressed throughout the Gita.

But offering money to the Lord as a bribe for getting some work is the worst aspect. ‘Ishavasyam Upanishad’ says in the very first hymn, “All this money belongs to the Lord. Take the minimum required. If you have taken extra, return it to the Lord”. The Veda further says, “Return it to the Lord with shyness and fear because you have stolen it, which was extra and not permitted by the Lord”. So, you have to offer ‘Guru Dakshina’ (money offered to the Lord) without aspiring any result from it. The stolen extra money will bring you all problems.

The Veda also says, “Return it to the Lord with love (Sraddhaya deyam)”. This is the best aspect and a real permanent bond is created with God. In such a case, there is no account. You give your money to your son or daughter and he or she serves you in your old age. Are you maintaining an account for it? You never analyze, whether the money given by you, is equal to the service given to you or not. Nor does your son or daughter analyze it. You have given the money whatever you can give. He or she served you to that extent whatever he or she can serve. Similarly, offer Guru Dakshina to the Lord with love. You will have the real and permanent bond with the Lord. Whenever you need some help from God, He will do it with love to the extent required by you.

When the finger of Lord Krishna was wounded, Draupadi tore the edge of her new sari and bandaged His finger. That was her Guru Dakshina and that was only required by the Lord. She forgot about the incident because she never aspired anything in return. Even when Dussasana dragged her sari, she cried loudly for Lord Krishna but did not mention about her service. Had she mentioned, that small piece of sari might have become a sari at the maximum, even if the interest was compounded. Since her sacrifice was without aspiring anything in return and there was no account in it, Lord Krishna multiplied it infinitely, which was required in that situation. Requirement is the criterion of love.

So, Lord is a wonderful bank! You should offer your extra money as Guru Dakshina with love and forget about it without aspiring anything in return. When the need comes, Lord will multiply it infinitely to the extent of your requirement. One rupee offered by a poor man is equal to one lakh offered by a rich man because the requirement of your status decides the extra you have taken.