Los Angeles Stray Cat Population is Concerning

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
California’s next crisis? Experts race to solve explosion in Los Angeles stray cat population

When I lived in San Diego my Father in Law used to tell me about stray dogs and how they roam in packs and dangerously attack people at random.

Not sure what dangers all these stray cats bring. But watch out for the little ones:

giphy.gif

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
California’s next crisis? Experts race to solve explosion in Los Angeles stray cat population

When I lived in San Diego my Father in Law used to tell me about stray dogs and how they roam in packs and dangerously attack people at random.

Not sure what dangers all these stray cats bring. But watch out for the little ones:

giphy.gif
Dev, for some reason I can't get the video about the cats. The bird flu video plays instead.

But about stray cats in Los Angeles, we have many volunteer rescue groups that do TNR (trap, neuter, release). I knew one gal that singlehandedly got over 500 strays neutered.

The cats are released back into their areas where a caretaker feeds them. Years ago I fed about 12 strays for years until they died, got adopted or a couple moved on.

The TNR really works. There are some groups in Los Angeles that neuter for free. I think the city might offer free neutering, too.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dev, for some reason I can't get the video about the cats. The bird flu video plays instead.

But about stray cats in Los Angeles, we have many volunteer rescue groups that do TNR (trap, neuter, release). I knew one gal that singlehandedly got over 500 strays neutered.

The cats are released back into their areas where a caretaker feeds them. Years ago I fed about 12 strays for years until they died, got adopted or a couple moved on.

The TNR really works. There are some groups in Los Angeles that neuter for free. I think the city might offer free neutering, too.

Reactions: Debp

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have had many cats over many years and like them as pets. Had many kittens. When we got older, we had our cats fixed.
I was thinking too many cats might mean too many rats and rodents and annoying bird flocks for the cats to feed on in those places.

Other thing is are there not enough cat eaters to keep down the population in balance with nature?
Are there too many cats because too many people feed wild cats?

Reactions: dev553344

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have had many cats over many years and like them as pets. Had many kittens. When we got older, we had our cats fixed.
I was thinking too many cats might mean too many rats and rodents and annoying bird flocks for the cats to feed on in those places.

Other thing is are there not enough cat eaters to keep down the population in balance with nature?
Are there too many cats because too many people feed wild cats?
Here in Southern California I think our mild climate contributes to the amount of stray cats.

There are also many underground garages under apartment buildings. So the cats can easily find shelter by going through the iron wrought garage gate.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here in Southern California I think our mild climate contributes to the amount of stray cats.

There are also many underground garages under apartment buildings. So the cats can easily find shelter by going through the iron wrought garage gate.
There will be no solution if people are not willing to make one.

I notice the food trays for wild cats prominent in the first seconds of the video

Neighbor lady across our street, if she sees a stray, goes out and gives it food. She is worried about it starving. They will run about the neighborhood seeking to feed it.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neighbor lady across our street, if she sees a stray, goes out and gives it food. She is worried about it starving. They will run about the neighborhood seeking to feed it.
If she can't get the strays neutered herself, I hope she will contact a rescue group that will help catch the strays and get them neutered.

Years ago I would see a black and white cat looking out of one of the windows of our apartment building. Then apparently those people left....and dumped their poor cat outside!

It ended up having a litter. I started to feed them. However, I contacted a rescue volunteer and she helped me catch them in a humane trap.

She then transported them to the vet for neutering. And returned them. I continued to feed them....12, but all were neutered. So the cat population didn't increase. Rather it started to decrease as through the years some cats were adopted or died.

Finally there were no more cats left to feed by my building.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If she can't get the strays neutered herself, I hope she will contact a rescue group that will help catch the strays and get them neutered.

Years ago I would see a black and white cat looking out of one of the windows of our apartment building. Then apparently those people left....and dumped their poor cat outside!

It ended up having a litter. I started to feed them. However, I contacted a rescue volunteer and she helped me catch them in a humane trap.

She then transported them to the vet for neutering. And returned them. I continued to feed them....12, but all were neutered. So the cat population didn't increase. Rather it started to decrease as through the years some cats were adopted or died.

Finally there were no more cats left to feed by my building.
Mostly women and girls feed strays. They are willing to put out food as it is cheap and they feel like the cats are suffering, but they are not willing to do anything hard and expensive, like catching, taking to vet, and paying the vet money.

I know another worry they have is the cats will be killed, put down if taken into shelters. AND they are.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just ONE mother cat and her first litter of kittens, can theoretically in ONE year produce 370,000 cats....o_O
Actually it's 7 years.

That's why it's essential for people to get cats spayed and neutered. And many places offer it for free nowadays. So no excuse.

Irresponsible people are what the problem is. Like the people who moved out of my building and dumped their poor cat... unspayed, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Downey

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are willing to put out food as it is cheap and they feel like the cats are suffering, but they are not willing to do anything hard and expensive, like catching, taking to vet, and paying the vet money.
Rescue groups will help with free spaying and neutering.

Many will help trap and transport the cats to the vets, too.

There are even mobile vet vans now that will spay and neuter for free. Here in Los Angeles there are quite a a few places offering the free neutering.

It's called TNR...trap, neuter, return.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This cat used to come into our yard for maybe a year. It has stopped doing this. I think it's a goner.
At first it was wild and skittish, but it calmed down and even let me carry it.
It had a collar, no tags so I thought was someone's outdoor cat.
It always refused to eat anything I would offer it for months.
The last days I saw it, it was weak looking, so it may have been getting sick.
Wife called it jingle bell

1706011441950.png

Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This cat used to come into our yard for maybe a year. It has stopped doing this. I think it's a goner.
At first it was wild and skittish, but it calmed down and even let me carry it.
It had a collar, no tags so I thought was someone's outdoor cat.
It always refused to eat anything I would offer it for months.
The last days I saw it, it was weak looking, so it may have been getting sick.
Wife called it jingle bell

View attachment 40501
Poor thing.

Are you in Canada? Must have been hard for the cat....harsh Winters.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Parent in laws bought a house where the Mother died and the son had to move out. He was a cat hoarder. My Father in law found feral cats living in the house and we took one in as a kitten. It grew up and was wild, too wild to handle as it would attack us. Long story short, feral cats are a problem because they are wild.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Parent in laws bought a house where the Mother died and the son had to move out. He was a cat hoarder. My Father in law found feral cats living in the house and we took one in as a kitten. It grew up and was wild, too wild to handle as it would attack us. Long story short, feral cats are a problem because they are wild.
Actually even adult feral cats or some of them can be tamed. When they are given food and treated gently, kindly by someone, they respond .

Throughout many years I brought some cats in from my street. They were all really nice pets.

I currently have just one, Miss Kitty, who doesn't want a buddy. And since I am 73, I think she will be my last pet.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually even adult feral cats or some of them can be tamed. When they are given food and treated gently, kindly by someone, they respond .

Throughout many years I brought some cats in from my street. They were all really nice pets.

I currently have just one, Miss Kitty, who doesn't want a buddy. And since I am 73, I think she will be my last pet.
Not all wild animals can be tamed. Not even with kindness. That is a lesson hard learned. Satan has to be destroyed. And some of God's creation are damned. It's just the way it works. Some are evil by nature of creation.

And some things are bred into creatures: Why You Shouldn't Attempt to Domesticate Wild Animals - Chimney and Wildlife

One of my exes had a cats had plenty of love and shredded my mothers forearm when she tried to pick it up lovingly.

"You may have a chance of taming or domesticating a feral kitten. However, it's not generally recommended to tame a feral cat — and it's usually not possible to tame an adult one. Feral cats aren't used to human contact, and they probably won't ever be as docile and friendly as a domesticated cat." Can You Tame a Feral Cat?

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feral cats keep the rodent population in check. Especially in "trash filled" neighborhoods where rodents multiply.

However....cats, like pangolins carry many diseases and colds....also genetic disorders. Not exactly better with the bugs running around these days.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayerfully, the city won't kill the cats. The explosion of homeless and junkies in LA is an issue. Filthy city.

Now wild cats explosion ensues in southern California. TNR is brilliant. And a vermin population will be reduced.

The city needs to step in. California government is whacky. Why not help this issue when they fund other things?

In history during the black plague of Europe the plague spread through rats and mice population spreading. This is because the cats that curbed the population were killed as the familiars of the accused "witches" that were being executed.

So,while this LA cat issue is dire,at least they curb the vermin population the human vermin population of drug addicts bring to the city.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayerfully, the city won't kill the cats. The explosion of homeless and junkies in LA is an issue. Filthy city.

Now wild cats explosion ensues in southern California. TNR is brilliant. And a vermin population will be reduced.

The city needs to step in. California government is whacky. Why not help this issue when they fund other things?

In history during the black plague of Europe the plague spread through rats and mice population spreading. This is because the cats that curbed the population were killed as the familiars of the accused "witches" that were being executed.

So,while this LA cat issue is dire,at least they curb the vermin population the human vermin population of drug addicts bring to the city.

Los Angeles will not kill cats. They will do TNR, providing free spaying and neutering to animal groups and private citizens...if they haven't done this already.

The cat overpopulation occurred because bird and wildlife groups sued the city of Los Angeles for providing free spaying and neutering without a wildlife study!

A judge sided with the bird, wildlife group. So the city had to stop funding for 12 years.... which created the problem!
See video in post #3.

I live in Los Angeles. Most areas here are clean, not filthy. There are homeless because of our mild weather. But the city does try to get them into housing.

My neighborhood is not affluent... it's a business district with apartment buildings.
As you can see, it's not filthy. I walk in this area when I go out to do errands.

Another part of my neighborhood...

Reactions: BlessedPeace