Love And Lean On God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 8-28-22 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 29 5782 69th. Summer Day

Love and Lean on God
odb20220828.jpg

Read: Ruth 1:11–19 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 123–125; 1 Corinthians 10:1–18
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Ruth clung to her. Ruth 1:14

Zach was funny, smart, and well-liked. But he secretly struggled with depression. After he committed suicide at age fifteen, his mom, Lori, said of him, “It’s just hard to comprehend how someone that had so much going for him would come to that point. Zach . . . was not exempt from suicide.” There are moments in the quiet when Lori pours out her sorrow to God. She says that the deep sadness after suicide is “a whole different level of grief.” Yet she and her family have learned to lean on God and others for strength, and now they’re using their time to love others who are grappling with depression.

Lori’s motto has become “Love and lean.” This idea is also seen in the Old Testament story of Ruth. Naomi lost her husband and two sons—one who was married to Ruth (Ruth 1:3–5). Naomi, bitter and depressed, urged Ruth to return to her mother’s family where she could be cared for. Ruth, though also grieving, “clung” to her mother-in-law and committed to staying with her and caring for her (vv. 14–17). They returned to Bethlehem, Naomi’s homeland, where Ruth would be a foreigner. But they had each other to love and lean on, and God provided for them (2:11–12).

During our times of grief, God’s love remains steady. We always have Him to lean on as we also lean on and love others in His strength.

What does it mean for you to lean on God during your times of grief? Who may need your support right now?

Father, I’m grateful for Your faithful love and care for me. Use me to encourage others to trust You.

INSIGHT
Moab, to which Naomi and her family fled to escape the famine in Bethlehem (Ruth 1:1), was perpetually seen as Israel’s enemy. Yet, Moab was also a nation of distant relatives to the people of Israel. Whereas Israel traced their lineage to Abraham, the patriarch of Moab was Lot, Abraham’s nephew. Following the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, where Lot had taken up residence, Moab and Ben-Ammi (Ammon) were born to Lot following his sinful relations with his daughters (see Genesis 19:37–38). Both Moab and Ammon would become enemies of Israel and a source of no small struggle for God’s chosen people.

By Anne Cetas|August 28th, 2022

God's Love and Care Ruth One:11-19

11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?

12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;

13 Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord is gone out against me.

14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

18 When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.

19 So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and they said, Is this Naomi?

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 8-28-22 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 29 5782 69th. Summer Day

Love and Lean on God
odb20220828.jpg

Read: Ruth 1:11–19 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 123–125; 1 Corinthians 10:1–18
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Ruth clung to her. Ruth 1:14

Zach was funny, smart, and well-liked. But he secretly struggled with depression. After he committed suicide at age fifteen, his mom, Lori, said of him, “It’s just hard to comprehend how someone that had so much going for him would come to that point. Zach . . . was not exempt from suicide.” There are moments in the quiet when Lori pours out her sorrow to God. She says that the deep sadness after suicide is “a whole different level of grief.” Yet she and her family have learned to lean on God and others for strength, and now they’re using their time to love others who are grappling with depression.

Lori’s motto has become “Love and lean.” This idea is also seen in the Old Testament story of Ruth. Naomi lost her husband and two sons—one who was married to Ruth (Ruth 1:3–5). Naomi, bitter and depressed, urged Ruth to return to her mother’s family where she could be cared for. Ruth, though also grieving, “clung” to her mother-in-law and committed to staying with her and caring for her (vv. 14–17). They returned to Bethlehem, Naomi’s homeland, where Ruth would be a foreigner. But they had each other to love and lean on, and God provided for them (2:11–12).

During our times of grief, God’s love remains steady. We always have Him to lean on as we also lean on and love others in His strength.

What does it mean for you to lean on God during your times of grief? Who may need your support right now?

Father, I’m grateful for Your faithful love and care for me. Use me to encourage others to trust You.

INSIGHT
Moab, to which Naomi and her family fled to escape the famine in Bethlehem (Ruth 1:1), was perpetually seen as Israel’s enemy. Yet, Moab was also a nation of distant relatives to the people of Israel. Whereas Israel traced their lineage to Abraham, the patriarch of Moab was Lot, Abraham’s nephew. Following the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, where Lot had taken up residence, Moab and Ben-Ammi (Ammon) were born to Lot following his sinful relations with his daughters (see Genesis 19:37–38). Both Moab and Ammon would become enemies of Israel and a source of no small struggle for God’s chosen people.

By Anne Cetas|August 28th, 2022

God's Love and Care Ruth One:11-19

11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?

12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;

13 Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord is gone out against me.

14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

18 When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.

19 So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and they said, Is this Naomi?

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Thank you.
God truly uses you as an encourager through his word and wonderful insights.

Blessings.