love your enemy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV

Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

The Lord our God never to my recollection in scripture teach or tell the Children of Israel to “love your enemy” in the OT. There is “thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” but no love your enemy.

So why now that Jesus has come into the world is He teaching us who know Him, to love your enemy?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV

Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

The Lord our God never to my recollection in scripture teach or tell the Children of Israel to “love your enemy” in the OT. There is “thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” but no love your enemy.

So why now that Jesus has come into the world is He teaching us who know Him, to love your enemy?

the ministration of the Spirit of God.2 Corinthians 3:8-9 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? [9] For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
^Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 9:54-56 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
KJV

In Leviticus 19:18 the Jews were told to love their neighbors as yourself.

In Matthew 5:43 Jesus said "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy."

---The "hate thine enemy" is not in Lev 19:18 nor anywhere else in the OT that I know of.
---Jesus said "ye have heard" meaning those Jews had heard, it was passed down by tradition from scribes and Pharisees they were to hate their enemies.

Since there was no OT law given that specifically told them to hate their enemy then why did the Jews think they were to hate their enemy?

It may have come about due to God would drive out the Jews enemies from before them and God told them not to have anything to do with those enemies. Hence the Jews came to believe God wanted them to hate their enemies. One commentator puts it this way:

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. The law commanding love will be found at Leviticus 19:18, while the sentiment "hate thy enemy" is not found in the law as a precept. But the Jews were forbidden by law to make peace with the Canaanites (Exodus 34:11-16: Deuteronomy 7:2: Deuteronomy 23:6), and the bloody wars which were waged by God's own command inevitably taught them to hate them. This was the feeling of their most pious men (1 Chronicles 20:3; 2 Kings 13:19), and it found utterance even in their devotional hymns; e.g., Psalms 137:8-9; Psalms 139:21-22. It is a true representation of the law, therefore, in its practical working, that it taught hatred of one's enemies. This is one of the defects of the Jewish dispensation, which, like the privilege of divorce at will, was to endure but for a time." McGarvey

Another commentator:
"You have heard. The Law said to love your fellow man (Leviticus 19:18). The teachers of the Law said to hate your enemies, basing this on a misunderstanding of (Deuteronomy 23:6)." R.D. Ice

Jesus makes it clear in the NT to love your enemies.
Maybe this answers your question.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV

Who is my neighbor, eh?

Reactions: justbyfaith

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

The Word even going as far as saying persecution will rise to try many ...for the Sake of the Word persecution will come, for the sake of “bless, and curse not”.

Romans 8:18-19 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. [19] For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the ministration of the Spirit of God.2 Corinthians 3:8-9 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? [9] For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
^Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 9:54-56 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

these are not answers or any kind of discussion.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Leviticus 19:18 the Jews were told to love their neighbors as yourself.

In Matthew 5:43 Jesus said "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy."

---The "hate thine enemy" is not in Lev 19:18 nor anywhere else in the OT that I know of.
---Jesus said "ye have heard" meaning those Jews had heard, it was passed down by tradition from scribes and Pharisees they were to hate their enemies.

Since there was no OT law given that specifically told them to hate their enemy then why did the Jews think they were to hate their enemy?

It may have come about due to God would drive out the Jews enemies from before them and God told them not to have anything to do with those enemies. Hence the Jews came to believe God wanted them to hate their enemies. One commentator puts it this way:

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. The law commanding love will be found at Leviticus 19:18, while the sentiment "hate thy enemy" is not found in the law as a precept. But the Jews were forbidden by law to make peace with the Canaanites (Exodus 34:11-16: Deuteronomy 7:2: Deuteronomy 23:6), and the bloody wars which were waged by God's own command inevitably taught them to hate them. This was the feeling of their most pious men (1 Chronicles 20:3; 2 Kings 13:19), and it found utterance even in their devotional hymns; e.g., Psalms 137:8-9; Psalms 139:21-22. It is a true representation of the law, therefore, in its practical working, that it taught hatred of one's enemies. This is one of the defects of the Jewish dispensation, which, like the privilege of divorce at will, was to endure but for a time." McGarvey

Another commentator:
"You have heard. The Law said to love your fellow man (Leviticus 19:18). The teachers of the Law said to hate your enemies, basing this on a misunderstanding of (Deuteronomy 23:6)." R.D. Ice

thanks but not really

the Jews better said Children of Israel slaughtered many of their enemy I do believe God told them that their enemies were His enemies back then. Moses' day Joshua's day they wiped out many by their own hand according to the instructions of God when King Saul didn't kill everything that was written, God sent Samuel to confront Saul on the matter and then God told Samuel He had a replacement in mind for Saul we know as King David who killed his 10 thousands. from Samuels documents on the Lord God was referred to as the Lord of Hosts, hosts meaning armies.

Israel was for the most part if its history was surrounded by hostiles and conquered by a few even to day they are surrounded by hostiles, and even to day the Lord delivers them victory that would be against the odds such as the six day war.

so no that doesn't seem to be the reason for Jesus' preaching of love your enemies.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is my neighbor, eh?

if what you imply is true then why bother to specifically say enemy?

your neighbor is a part of your community who live in some type of agreement with you of mutually respected space and law. in a apartment complex you may not know your neighbor but its understood he's not your enemy unless he proves otherwise.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
these are not answers or any kind of discussion.

You have a right to your opinion. Doesn’t mean it is so easily dismissed for me by your basically saying: nothing worth discussing there. Concerning the change from: if you love only those who love you...what do you do more than others? Contrasted with God’s perfection of causing it to rain not only on the just but the unjust also. The difference between enduring for a time...
Mark 4:16-17 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; [17] And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

Or God’s endurance which continues and is “blessed is he who is not offended in me”. struggling in my own life with endurance and believing loving your enemies does anything more than make for one miserable life. I’m sick of cold...so go talk about loving your enemies when I’m not even sure we can love our brethren.

Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV

Because in the Sermon on the Mount, the entire teaching was meant to prepare His followers to endure persecution, given that they would walk in a greater righteousness than Jewish leadership, and thus be hated and despised by them and violently opposed. If His disciples should be overcome by this hatred in the church era (after He left), it would quench the Holy Spirit among them that was prophesied to be poured out after Pentecost, so the commandment was to love their enemies instead and not allow this to happen.

Very interesting question actually, and thank you for the insightful post : )

Reactions: DNB

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a right to your opinion. Doesn’t mean it is so easily dismissed for me by your basically saying: nothing worth discussing there. Concerning the change from: if you love only those who love you...what do you do more than others? Contrasted with God’s perfection of causing it to rain not only on the just but the unjust also. The difference between enduring for a time...
Mark 4:16-17 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; [17] And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

Or God’s endurance which continues and is “blessed is he who is not offended in me”. struggling in my own life with endurance and believing loving your enemies does anything more than make for one miserable life. I’m sick of cold...so go talk about loving your enemies when I’m not even sure we can love our brethren.

@VictoryinJesus
I'm sorry to hear of your trial with endurance. Prayers for you, to have strength of mind and spirit and peace. I pray He lifts you up!
Your last paragraph is so honest, we should all be able to take these things to one another in TRUE brotherly love, I have more of a tough time maintaining my love for the brethren as compared to the un-saved. I say this is the kind of thing we need each other for.
It's hard to not ever become weary in well doing...
In Him

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Is this maybe how God wins the world by love?
..a wise man makes his enemies his friends, then all of a mans enemies are gone!! :)

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this maybe how God wins the world by love?
..a wise man makes his enemies his friends, then all of a mans enemies are gone!! :)

1Pe 3:13, And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?
1Pe 3:14, But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who is my neighbor, eh?
People who are as the good Samaritan was.

Luke 10:27-30
10:27. He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 28. "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." 29. But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30. In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who are as the good Samaritan was.

Luke 10:27-30
10:27. He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 28. "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." 29. But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30. In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead....
I think Jesus' teaching is that our worst enemy is also our neighbor.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
KJV

Well, i'm not sure that I understand your question as the answer is quite clear, Jesus was contrasting former OT principles, with their true and greater meaning.
i.e. Don't commit adultery, ...but rather, don't even lust at a married women.
Observe the Sabbath, ...but not at the cost of one's well being.
Don't murder, ...but more so, do not even hate.
Do not break a vow, ...instead, don't make a vow.

Again, he even says further down the sermon, that loving one's enemy surpasses that of those who are evil, and only love those who love them (there is no sacrifice in this relationship, their love is reciprocated) . God's children do as God does, that is, we hate God, yet he loved us. Christians sacrifice themselves for others, i.e. we don't expect payment when we lend, we don't invite those who can only invite us back, when we see someone down, we lift up without expecting a reward, and thus, we love those who do not love us back.

But, don't be naive, know what you're doing when you do this, that is, know why Jesus said it. Because if you love those who spit on you, and abuse you, and you don't handle it with confidence and wisdom, it will have an adverse affect. Just like turning the other cheek. These are not principles for bleeding hearts or the naive. They are profound, and meant to be executed with the utmost wisdom and understanding. Again, the wrong disposition when attempting these maxims, will be consequential to both parties, and not beneficial as intended.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or, simply, that He applies Leviticus 19:18 to our worst enemy.
Well, yes, of course, as 'love your enemy', means just that. But, the question is why would Jesus impose such an unintuitive principle, that one would expect, that if they applied what he said, they would get a punch in the nose, or be taken advantage of.
...it is because, a bloody nose or confiscation of goods does not pose a threat to a Christian. Plus, it acts in the same way that turning the other cheek does, it juxtaposes the two acts against each other, good vs evil, exposing, in a glaring manner, the wicked act for what it is, and illustrating the strength of the one who does not retaliate. And thus, leads the enemy to shame, admiration and repentance.