Loving Like Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friday 2-16-24 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Adar 5 5784, 58th. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: John 15:9–17 | Bible in a Year: Leviticus 19–20; Matthew 27:51–66

Download MP3

Subscribe to iTunes

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13

He was loved by all—those were the words used to describe Giuseppe Berardelli of Casnigo, Italy. Giuseppe was a beloved man who rode around town on an old motorbike and always led with the greeting: “peace and good.” He worked tirelessly on behalf of the good of others. But in the last years of his life, he had health problems that worsened when he was infected by the coronavirus, and he eventually died in the hospital.

A friend who knew him for more than twenty years said he would’ve given up his potential spot in the intensive care unit for another younger patient if he could have. This reveals the character of a man who was loved and admired for loving others.

Loved for loving, this is the message the apostle John keeps sounding throughout his gospel. Being loved and loving others are like a chapel bell that tolls night and day, regardless of weather. And in John 15, they reach somewhat of a zenith, for John lays bare that it’s not being loved by all but loving all that’s the greatest love: “to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (v. 13).

Stories of those willing to offer sacrificial love always inspire us. Yet they pale in comparison to God’s great love. But don’t miss the challenge that brings, for Jesus commands: “Love each other as I have loved you” (v. 12). Yes, love all.

Loved by all and love all. Do you get those mixed up sometimes? Why or why not? What might sacrificing for a friend look like today?

Loving God, please help me to love as You love me.

INSIGHT

Hours before He went to the cross, Jesus gave us a new commandment: “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:34). The command to love others isn’t new. In the Mosaic law, God’s people were to “love [their] neighbor as [themselves]” (Leviticus 19:18), which Christ reiterated was the second greatest commandment (Matthew 22:39).

However, Jesus introduced a new standard of love, which He emphasized in John 15:12: “Love each other as I have loved you.” The standard is no longer how much we love ourselves but how much Jesus loved us. Christ laid down His life for us (v. 13). He raised the bar from our self-love to His sacrificial love. John would later write, “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters” (1 John 3:16).

By John Blase |February 16th, 2024

Loving Others John 15:9-17

9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Read full chapter

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love as Jesus loved! Amen!

But without God's help how can we do that? For man it is indeed, impossible but for God all things are possible! Ask and ye shall receive!