Loving Those With Different Doctrines

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like there are a few threads now on this point. Our passion for doctrine has become an idol. It is as if the new command Jesus gave is to proselytize endlessly to what your doctrine is.

Fortunately, there is no doctrinal purity test to enter heaven, be saved, receive eternal life, etc. My pastor said earlier this year that if upon his death people remark at his command of doctrine, he knows that means he has missed the boat. He said he wants it remarked at his funeral of the way he loved.

My grandchildren don't know my politics or religion. All they know is that I love them. I show them that I love them in every way. Their mother, my DIL, has turned from God. No doubt this is a major contributing factor to her becoming distant from me and her mother. We also never discussed or debated doctrine.

If she cannot see the light coming from me and her mom, that is on her. She does not have eyes to see. We try our best to love them anyway. Amen. You?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Seems like there are a few threads now on this point. Our passion for doctrine has become an idol. It is as if the new command Jesus gave is to proselytize endlessly to what your doctrine is.

Fortunately, there is no doctrinal purity test to enter heaven, be saved, receive eternal life, etc. My pastor said earlier this year that if upon his death people remark at his command of doctrine, he knows that means he has missed the boat. He said he wants it remarked at his funeral of the way he loved.

My grandchildren don't know my politics or religion. All they know is that I love them. I show them that I love them in every way. Their mother, my DIL, has turned from God. No doubt this is a major contributing factor to her becoming distant from me and her mother. We also never discussed or debated doctrine.

If she cannot see the light coming from me and her mom, that is on her. She does not have eyes to see. We try our best to love them anyway. Amen. You?
Doctrine is important, however, God's love in us and through us is of ultimate importance.
For God so loved the world...be imitators of Christ.
Love and doctrine go hand-in-hand.
"1As a prisoner in the Lord, then, I urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling you have received: 2with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3and with diligence to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.…" Ephesians 4:1-3

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it okay to ask if you can share something from the Bible with another person? Or even question why it is that they do not believe? Some people never come to God even until their late 55s. Time of our lives are numbered for sure. Jesus changed my life; the only one that ever could. Is that not worth sharing from time to time with a loved one?

I agree with loving them anyway but wouldn’t you desire to share that change of heart that came from Jesus?

Reactions: JohnPaul

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doctrine is important, however, God's love in us and through us is of ultimate importance.
For God so loved the world...be imitators of Christ.
Love and doctrine go hand-in-hand.
"1As a prisoner in the Lord, then, I urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling you have received: 2with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3and with diligence to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.…" Ephesians 4:1-3
How can we love people like he loves us?The love I felt from Christ was unlike anything I have ever felt from a person on my time on Earth. I think this love commandment is very important but how? I find it hard to pray for Biden let alone people I know that hate God. I hope that we as a people can love each other like he wants us to but it is difficult. I am sure with spiritual maturity it will come easier but it is hard to look past the hatred of our God and love them.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it okay to ask if you can share something from the Bible with another person? Or even question why it is that they do not believe? Some people never come to God even until their late 55s. Time of our lives are numbered for sure. Jesus changed my life; the only one that ever could. Is that not worth sharing from time to time with a loved one?

I agree with loving them anyway but wouldn’t you desire to share that change of heart that came from Jesus?
If you feel you should share, then share. It's always worth sharing. Scatter the seed...you never know what will grow!
Share the doctrine of God's love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How can we love people like he loves us?The love I felt from Christ was unlike anything I have ever felt from a person on my time on Earth. I think this love commandment is very important but how? I find it hard to pray for Biden let alone people I know that hate God. I hope that we as a people can love each other like he wants us to but it is difficult. I am sure with spiritual maturity it will come easier but it is hard to look past the hatred of our God and love them.
Love the best you can. We're not God. He knows that. I think it's the effort that pleases Him. He knows our hearts.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By the spirit (Galatians 5:15-23) (Galatians 2:20) there are more references found in Johns Gospel, my friend. That is how one can live and love abiding in Christ never forget. (John 15). That is the only way. It’s not a worldly love it’s a way that by the spirit we are taught to love like it is biblically explained (1 Corinthians 13), we can learn more by looking and seeing what Jesus (John 17:3) said, and we become born again by believing in the (1 Corinthians 15:3-4) death, burial, and resurrection. Becoming children of God (John 1:12-15) and if we walk (Galatians 5:16-23) by the spirit and (2 Peter 3:18) grow in spiritual knowledge and wisdom we grow up to be a (Romans 8:14) Son or Daughter of God. Praying for all people, ( 1 Timothy 2:1-7).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mantis

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hello Mantis,

But we must! For He loves them as surely as He loves us!

This is why we call the Eucharist celebration 'Mass', for we, having been filled with the Life of Christ are 'sent out' to share His love with the world around us... To be light in the darkness.. To be salt of the Earth...

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax et Bonum!

Reactions: Mantis

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it okay to ask if you can share something from the Bible with another person?

This thread is way after that. You've shared, discussed and debated doctrine you fiercely disagree on?

A pastor at a family function began threatening guests who did not accept his doctrine. (The threat was eternal damnation).

Reactions: Aunty Jane

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest with you @Wrangler, I’ve tried to take myself far away from debating doctrine and stuff like that because half of the time it is not truly edifying and it serves division rather than working toward unity.

Debating and dividing does nothing for me anymore, have decided to go a different route, in to teaching to best of my ability, prayerfully understanding scripture and worshiping God in spirit and truth. Sharing the scripture and if people do not desire to listen that is fine, if people decide to believe differently that is okay to me as well.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Wrangler: The point is also that Scriptures such as Romans 8 are full of truth and doctrine; there is no point in implying that somehow truth and doctrine don't matter in spiritual things.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest, i feel like this question pertains to us on this here forum. Me personally, i understand that there are different denominations and doctrines, but i’ve never understood why. We all read the same Bible. I do believe that there are catholics, presbyterians, baptists, etc up in Heaven. As a presbyterian, i do believe in the doctrine of election, and whomever God wants to save, He will regardless of denomination or doctrine. I ask myself, what if by some miracle, i do make it to Heaven and meet the rest of you folks there? I’d like to think we’ll be friends and laugh about this nonsense.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrangler: The point is also that Scriptures such as Romans 8 are full of truth and doctrine; there is no point in implying that somehow truth and doctrine don't matter in spiritual things.

No one said truth and doctrine don’t matter. Re-read the OP and try to discern the point.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest, i feel like this question pertains to us on this here forum. Me personally, i understand that there are different denominations and doctrines, but i’ve never understood why. We all read the same Bible. I do believe that there are catholics, presbyterians, baptists, etc up in Heaven. As a presbyterian, i do believe in the doctrine of election, and whomever God wants to save, He will regardless of denomination or doctrine. I ask myself, what if by some miracle, i do make it to Heaven and meet the rest of you folks there? I’d like to think we’ll be friends and laugh about this nonsense.
What we have from God is certainly important, but what we do with what we have, I believe, is more important.

People argue on both points on this forum as well as in other places. Here during this time allotted to us before physical death God is watching to see our direction and our purpose according to our hearts. The choices are ours to do what we can with what we have... including beliefs and doctrines.

A flawless doctrine in the mind, if a person can really have one, will not alone save anyone in the end of the matter.

What is Love and how is it to be applied toward others?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that has been made known to me is that in a Christians life we are to put the old man off and the new man of Christ on. As Christians we are to love God and love our neighbor share the word with others, even if they might not believe the way you do. You should be able to teach it by and through the Holy Spirit with in your as your guide. One as to realize however our flesh is our flesh and it seems differently compared to new spiritual creation inside of you that is the new man or new woman that is created in Christ likeness.

All of us have a limited amount of time on this earth before dying and to fight, and bicker and moan and groan over doctrine found in the Bible all limits the ability for ones person relationship with God to grow, and that ability to grow is with using the Bible and learning from it. Realizing that some people won’t believe like you but that doesn’t mean you shun them. Keep sharing Christ with them, and have love. For any and all people

Realize by faith in the life, burial, resurrection which is our hope in Christ you are a child of God, or Son or Daughter of God who has been given the Holy Spirit from God to live by.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All that has been made known to me is that in a Christians life we are to put the old man off and the new man of Christ on. As Christians we are to love God and love our neighbor share the word with others, even if they might not believe the way you do. You should be able to teach it by and through the Holy Spirit with in your as your guide. One as to realize however our flesh is our flesh and it seems differently compared to new spiritual creation inside of you that is the new man or new woman that is created in Christ likeness.

All of us have a limited amount of time on this earth before dying and to fight, and bicker and moan and groan over doctrine found in the Bible all limits the ability for ones person relationship with God to grow, and that ability to grow is with using the Bible and learning from it. Realizing that some people won’t believe like you but that doesn’t mean you shun them. Keep sharing Christ with them, and have love. For any and all people.
@MatthewG I think if one looks at a passage such as Romans 8 which is so heartening and encouraging to the believer, there is indeed such a lot of vital truth and doctrine in it; and it's these rather than feelings which, by the Spirit of God, transform the believer in the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.