LUKE 1:6 RIGHTEOUS BEFORE GOD

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:5 THERE was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.

1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Zacharias and Elisabeth walked in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord and were said to be blameless and righteous as a result.

Israel was given the law and the commandments for righteousness. Righteousness should have been by the law (Galatians 3:21).

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

It was required of Israel to be righteous to enter the prophetic Davidic kingdom on earth (Daniel 2:44).

Israel which followed after the law of righteousness has not attained to the law of righteousness (Romans 9:31). Israel was unable to be righteous on their own.

Revelation 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

It can be seen from Revelation 19:8 however, that there would be those who are righteous.

Ezekiel 36:24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

The Spirit of God caused Israel to do all that was commanded to be righteous and enter the kingdom to rule and reign with Christ (Revelation 20:6).

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only. not saying that what posted is right or wrong, but consider this. many in the OT keep the spirit of the Law. example when Joseph, Mary's husban found out that she was with child, (and not his), he could had her stoned to death. but what did the scriptures said, Matthew 1:19 "Then Joseph her husband, being a just [man], and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily". or what about circumcision of the flesh? Deuteronomy 10:16 "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked".

but here's the kicker to all of it, the OT and NT... Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?".

there is is in a nutshell.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Episkopos

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
Firstly, they had faith in God, and secondly this shows that observing the Law of Moses was not impossible.

Christians are firstly declared righteous through faith in Christ, and then are made righteous by the power of the Spirit.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firstly, they had faith in God, and secondly this shows that observing the Law of Moses was not impossible.

Christians are firstly declared righteous through faith in Christ, and then are made righteous by the power of the Spirit.
Hello
Right, we are declared righteous through the imputed righteousness of Christ.
But there is none righteous according to Romans 3:10
There are none that can be justified unto eternal life; so I think they must have been declared righteous in the sight of God by grace because they demonstrated their faith by their obedience. This was not the same righteousness of being unto eternal life.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

People will bring faith in Christ or grace to bear on this statement...completely disengaging what the text says from any meaning that would help them understand God's ways.

The simple truth is that we will not be judged against what we have not been given...but against what we have been given.

Is this too difficult to understand?

Reactions: faithfulness

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
please post the scripture to this effect. thanks in advance

King James Bible (Romans 5:1)
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Christian Standard Bible (Romans 5:1)
Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

There is nothing in human religions (or even false Christianity) which presents this very strange and unique idea -- that God declares a sinner as righteous simply for believing God and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. But Romans 4 shows us that this is exactly how God shows His grace to sinners.

But the grace of God goes well beyond this. All our sins are forgiven, all our guilt is removed, we receive the gift of eternal life and the gift of the Holy Spirit, and then we are born again or born of the Spirit. And the perfect righteousness of Christ is imputed to us -- put to our spiritual account. God sees the believer (the child of God) as righteous as Christ.

Reactions: Doug

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing in human religions (or even false Christianity) which presents this very strange and unique idea -- that God declares a sinner as righteous simply for believing God and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider theses verses of scriptures.
Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God". (this is God's rightious act. now this),

Romans 3:22 "Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Romans 3:26 "To declare, [I say], at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

the term "JUST" short for Justification means to be declare "RIGHTIOUS". so it's by belief.

see, belief and Faith is not the same. to make it simple without going into any detail, belief set the Goal, and faith goes and get's it.

for the apostle states, Romans 8:24 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? hence our Faith, which we live by, because we believe. as said by hope for something you already have?

we live by Faith in this HOPE.

PICJAG.