LUKE 22:13 THE PASSOVER FULFILLED

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 22:13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.

The passover feast as described in Exodus 12 is for a memorial when God smote the firstborn of Egypt, but passed over the Israelites.

22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.

22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

The passover lamb was a shadow of the sacrificial death of the Lord Jesus (Hebrews 10:1-10). Jesus would not eat or drink the passover until it will be completely fulfilled when Jesus comes to establish his kingdom on earth.

22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Jesus was the true bread that came down from heaven and the bread represented his physical body offered in sacrifice (John 6:51).

22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Jesus shed his blood for the new covenant which was made with the house of Israel and Judah (Jeremiah 31:31). The blood was shed for the transgressions made under the first testament as there is no remission without the shedding of blood (Exodus 24:8 Hebrews 8:10 Hebrews 9:15 Hebrews 9:22).

22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

22:30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The twelve apostles have been appointed a place in the kingdom, which is unrealized at present, but will be certainly fulfilled. Once again they will eat and drink at the kingdom table.