Luke Chapter 10

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
I was reading in Luke(Chap.10) today concerning the seventy Jesus sent out. Luke 10:1-21 After these things the LORD appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. 2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. ~~~~~I did read the whole chapter but the first two verses spoke to me . Are the seventy His disciples who are being sent to preach the Word (gospel)? Was this before Jesus chose his 12 apostles?I hope you all understand what I am asking about.:grouphug:

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Luke 10:1 "After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before His face into every city and place, whither He Himself would come."Jesus divided these seventy witnesses of the Gospel into groups of two, and sent them into every place where Jesus had intended to come. This is the start of harvest time, and it is time to start planting the seeds of the Word...... Seven in biblical numerics is spiritual completenessWe see that God has 35 sets of two witnesses going into many communities preaching the Gospel of Christ.....35 in biblical numerics is the number for hope. Two witnesses are required even in a court case, for we know that our faith and hope is in Christ. We will never be let down when we place our faith and hope in Him. Jesus is sending these seventy out to teach His Word and show them the kingdom of God.Luke 10:2 "Therefore said He unto them, "The harvest truly is great, but the labours are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He would send forth labourers into His harvest."I like the Greek used here the word used for "unto them" is "pros". "Pros" is when you speak to someone very close to you and use words of kindness. It is taking somebody very close and you give them reassurance that what they are doing is important. I also like Clarks comentary on these two versesVerse 1. The Lord appointed other seventy] Rather, seventy others, not other seventy, as our translation has it, which seems to intimate that he had appointed seventy before this time, though, probably, the word other has a reference to the twelve chosen first: he not only chose twelve disciples to be constantly with him; but he chose seventy others to go before him. Our blessed Lord formed every thing in his Church on the model of the Jewish Church; and why? Because it was the pattern shown by God himself, the Divine form, which pointed out the heavenly substance which now began to be established in its place. As he before had chosen twelve apostles, in reference to the twelve patriarchs, who were the chiefs of the twelve tribes, and the heads of the Jewish Church, he now publicly appointed (for so the word anedeizen means) seventy others, as Moses did the seventy elders whom he associated with himself to assist him in the government of the people. Exod. xviii. 19; xxiv. 1-9. These Christ sent by two and two: 1. To teach them the necessity of concord among the ministers of righteousness. 2. That in the mouths of two witnesses every thing might be established. And, 3. That they might comfort and support each other in their difficult labour. See on Mark vi. 7. Several MSS. and versions have seventy-two. Sometimes the Jews chose six out of each tribe: this was the number of the great Sanhedrin. The names of these seventy disciples are found in the margin of some ancient MSS., but this authority is questionable. Verse 2. That he would send forth [ekbalh]. There seems to be an allusion here to the case of reapers, who, though the harvest was perfectly ripe, yet were in no hurry to cut it down. News of this is brought to the Lord of the harvest the farmer, and he is entreated to exert his authority, and hurry them out; and this he does because the harvest is spoiling for want of being reaped and gathered in.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Verse 2 here should also put you in mind of the havest to come in the End times in The parablesIn the end harvest he will send his reapers to gather out the bad first The Tares then he will harvest his flock church So these verses have a double meaning they are about the first harvest to bring the gentiles to Christ to start his ministery and the second harvest at his return

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
(((Christina))))Thanks , lots of helpful Information ( I read it several times ) to let it get in my head. I will study this more for sure. One more tiny question, if you don't mind? so if we are teaching God's Word to others today are we considered witness?Sorry to keep asking you questions..just trying to get a clear understanding.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I dont mind your questions at all Lookin4ward Yes is the answer to you question but remember to be a wittness by defention is to give accurate testiminy of a thing so we must be familiar enough with the Scriptures to be able to accurately and coherently present the gospel to others. “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15). Always being prepared means Bible study, sharing and understanding Scripture, and praying

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;67760)
(((Christina))))Thanks , lots of helpful Information ( I read it several times ) to let it get in my head. I will study this more for sure. One more tiny question, if you don't mind? so if we are teaching God's Word to others today are we considered witness?Sorry to keep asking you questions..just trying to get a clear understanding.
I don't see why not. After all Christ did say to the Apostles / Disciples to preach the gospel to the world. (Mark 16:15) and what Christina said above my post.
smile.gif

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;67621)
I was reading in Luke(Chap.10) today concerning the seventy Jesus sent out. Luke 10:1-21 After these things the LORD appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. 2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. ~~~~~I did read the whole chapter but the first two verses spoke to me . Are the seventy His disciples who are being sent to preach the Word (gospel)? Was this before Jesus chose his 12 apostles?I hope you all understand what I am asking about.:grouphug:
This was after He chose his 12 apostles. He is sending these 70 (vs. 9) to heal the sick and tell them the kingdom of God is at hand. He gives them power to tread on serpents and scorpions, over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt them. Notice that is says the same thing as Mark 16:18. These disciples names were already written in heaven.