Lukewarm Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I remember that's basically saying that Christians believe in one thing but yet are practicing another right? In other words,.. hypocrites.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I remember that's basically saying that Christians believe in one thing but yet are practicing another right? In other words,.. hypocrites.
"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit [spit] you out of My mouth." Rev. 3:15-16
They are perhaps trying to ride the fence so as to get what they consider the best of both worlds, the world of men and the world of God!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit [spit] you out of My mouth." Rev. 3:15-16
They are perhaps trying to ride the fence so as to get what they consider the best of both worlds, the world of men and the world of God!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just needed a reminder because although I am a sinner I prefer to choose not to sin and I don't want to be a lukewarm Christian.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, that's what I thought. I just needed a reminder because although I am a sinner I prefer to choose not to sin and I don't want to be a lukewarm Christian.

What you do is put your all into it...

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is not work, nor device, not knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither thou goest" Ecc. 9:10

But be certain that you are working for the right master when you put your might into it:

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Matt 6:24

Lukewarm people are pressing to serve both, dividing their might between them: God and mammon!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly is Mammon?
Really anything we choose first instead of God! Recall what Jesus told us to put first. Look at the group of verses ending with the one I quoted [6:24] above:

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:24-33

All of these other things Jesus mentions: physical life, what we eat, what we drink, what we wear, and yes, also money... all of these things can be included in "mammon".

This does not mean we should not partake of and enjoy all that God made for us to enjoy, but again, first things first. Enjoying good food, fellowship and games at a party are not in themselves evil... unless we have made them, or have
allowed them, to become more important than those things God told us are to be first: seeking the kingdom and righteousness of God.

Mammon can be almost anything we have elevated too high. How high is too high? If even for a moment it is higher than God's first things, it is too high!

Reactions: April_Rose