Made of Show of Them Openly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:14-15 KJV
14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

@Behold ,

What does this part mean?

Thank you!

Much love!

I'm taking you up on your invitation to request a thread. If you prefer, start a new one, and post a link for me here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Johann

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

@Behold ,

Thank you!

Much love!
Rev. 12
7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. 12
7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”
When did this happen? And did no one see it?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is definitely not an easy verse to interpret. The "principalities and powers" are the hierarchies of evil angels under Satan. But we do not see any allusion to their being "spoiled" or defeated at the cross, or Christ's open triumph over them at that particular time. So this is something which was only seen by God. Unless the defeat of Satan at the cross encompasses all his evil angels also. And what Michael does in Revelation 12 has no bearing on this.

Reactions: dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is definitely not an easy verse to interpret. The "principalities and powers" are the hierarchies of evil angels under Satan. But we do not see any allusion to their being "spoiled" or defeated at the cross, or Christ's open triumph over them at that particular time. So this is something which was only seen by God. Unless the defeat of Satan at the cross encompasses all his evil angels also. And what Michael does in Revelation 12 has no bearing on this.
If it was only seen by God, why would Paul write "openly"?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and face2face

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did this happen? And did no one see it?

Much love!
It would have been around the start of the New Covenant, and everyone in heaven saw it including all the angels and OT saints.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since everything is open to God, and the issue matters more to God than anyone else. If you have a better explanation show it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The cross was a cosmic event which is not as obvious to us here on Earth.
The great charge against God by the beautiful shining angel was that God is fundamentally self interested ie, selfish. His persuasiveness was considerable seeing a very large number of Heaven's inhabitants sided with his point of view.

I am persuaded that the whole intelligent created order were also aware of his accusations and there was no way God could prove otherwise. Everything he ever wanted was created with a word; Worlds, inhabitants of the Cosmos and inhabitants of Heaven.

The incarnation was not just for our benefit, it was also for all those watching both angels and inhabitants of other Worlds / realities.

They watch as God condescended to the lowliest positioned, a babe having his backside wiped; they watched as he was marginalised and persecuted by both men and demons; they watched as he made it clear he had the control over death and all the afflictions humanity is saddled with; they watched as he willingly submitted to man's abuse and murder in the cruelest fashion men and demons invented; they watched awe struck that he did not retaliate and punish his murders; they watched and saw the heart of God ripped open and his character revealed to all; they watched and realised the shining angel was a liar and his scheming was the pinnacle of dishonest trade, (Ezekiel 28...highlighting vs 16); Yes, they watched as he spoiled principalities and powers, and made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. (to quote Colossians 2:15)

And so the ranks of the unfallen Universe sing and sing and sing....LOUDLY, 'Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" Revelation 5:12.

* An aside.....do you notice there are seven appellations given?......seven being the number of completeness.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Much love!
These are good questions and aim the enquiring mind to reconsider the context which Paul is speaking too

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spectacle and triumph Paul is speaking of is the resurrection from death.

Though he died and was assigned to the tomb, it couldn’t contain him. Death had no power over him.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

@Behold ,

Thank you!

Much love!

I'm taking you up on your invitation to request a thread. If you prefer, start a new one, and post a link for me here. Thanks!
Through His humility and willingness to pay the ultimate price for our redemption, Jesus revealed to the entire universe the true character of His Father. God was not disinterested in the well being of His creation as the political lies from Lucifer had insinuated.
Jesus was the express image of God. What Jesus is, God is. What Jesus demonstrated was the heart of His Father. The same love. The same selflessness. The same passion for the lost. The same desire, yearning, to save man from sin. Like Father like Son. Satan, given enough rope to hang himself, did just that. Proved his rebellion was groundless and his charges against the government of God empty futile lies. Even from the beginning. Thus what Jesus did was He exposed His enemy simply by being Himself. A God of love.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
This is because the host of heavenly angels saw Satan cast out of heaven at the time cross was risen. The apostles saw it also. Christ and the Holy Spirit now govern the nations hence the light of Christ coming to the nations in the form of technologies and medicines and other sciences.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
v15 (NIV):
"And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

Christ has destroyed Satan’s work; but He has also defeated Satan himself, and along with him all the spiritual powers that have held sway over the human race since the dawn of history. Like David, who overcame Goliath in a duel of champions (see I Samuel 17:45-51), the Son of David took on Satan as our Champion - and overcame him, not with superior force but in weakness, by submitting to the will of His Father. And thus the devil was outwitted. For the cross, far from being a shameful and humiliating end to Jesus’ Messianic claims, turned out to be the decisive moment of victory for Him! (John 12:31,32) Like a victorious general (who would disarm his enemies, parade them as prisoners of war, and utterly humiliate them by dragging them behind the wheels of His chariot), Christ has demonstrated His total superiority over the forces of evil.

Reactions: APAK

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since everything is open to God, and the issue matters more to God than anyone else. If you have a better explanation show it.
No, I don't have another explanation, that's why I've asked the question. I'm reading everyone's input, and considering the passage.

I'm still feeling uncertain, "having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly", when/what was this open display of principalities and powers?

Your thought here is that this was open to God, but then aren't the principalities and powers alway open before God?

I haven't read Behold's thread yet, I'm looking forward to his thoughts also.

I wonder whether this had to do with the rulers of the people, maybe the spiritual darkness they were in, when He rose from the dead?

In my usual way, I'm looking at the plain saying of the passage, for something in harmony with the whole saying.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would have been around the start of the New Covenant, and everyone in heaven saw it including all the angels and OT saints.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
This probibly the most common interpretation I hear of this, it was "openly", but in the other realm.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on this?

Much love!
Luke 10:18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Behold ,

Thank you!

Much love!

The Cross of itself is not the Victory, but HE who was nailed to the cross and what HE did on that cross in HIS Body.

This Victory was Prophesied by God directly to satan and all the angels AND in front of the Representatives of all of Mankind =Adam & Eve

The Mystery (we all love a good mystery story/movie) was = 'can God perform as promised?, with satan and his angels now having dominion over all of Mankind thru the power of Death, which is SIN.

Romans 5:12
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned"

So now i leave it up to others on here to Post the Victory that Christ openly displayed AND before whom?

Genesis holds Two Mysteries and BOTH come to a Grand Finish in Revelation.

PEACE to ALL in CHRIST

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 10:18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
Satan is distinct from the hierarchies of evil angels (Rev 12). The verse in Colossians alludes to those principalities and powers (see Ephesians 6). But we do not find any Scripture that connects THE CROSS to the defeat of those evil angels OPENLY.

"The works of the devil" would not be identical to the principalities and powers. The Bible ranks the hierarchies of evil angels as follows depending on the level of authority they have over nations and empires:
1. principalities
2. powers
3. rulers of the darkness of this world
4. spiritual wickedness in high places.

So it is only God Himself who witnessed this triumph of Christ. It was open to God and the holy angels, but neither the apostles nor the other disciples saw this event.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Cross of itself is not the Victory, but HE who was nailed to the cross and what HE did on that cross in HIS Body.

This Victory was Prophesied by God directly to satan and all the angels AND in front of the Representatives of all of Mankind =Adam & Eve

The Mystery (we all love a good mystery story/movie) was = 'can God perform as promised?, with satan and his angels now having dominion over all of Mankind thru the power of Death, which is SIN.

Romans 5:12
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned"

So now i leave it up to others on here to Post the Victory that Christ openly displayed AND before whom?

Genesis holds Two Mysteries and BOTH come to a Grand Finish in Revelation.

PEACE to ALL in CHRIST
JESUS IS KING , Let all that has breath praise the glorious LORD . he who honors the SON , honors the FATHER .
Lift those hands and let all praise and thank the LORD .

Status
Not open for further replies.