Make The Time To Be Still

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
“Make The Time To Be Still”
By Zach Wood
Psalm 46:10 NIV
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

This past weekend, my wife and I had a weekend date while the girls were away. My wife worked for a couple hours Saturday night and I was home alone for 2 hours. When she left, I sat on the couch and read, with no TV or music on. It was completely quiet. And, I have to be honest, it was really weird. I sat there reading in complete silence and it just bothered me. Why? Because I am not used to having much quiet time to myself.

I am so used to being on the go and doing things all day long, whether at work or at home with my family. I am not good with being still. I just don’t sit down long. And, if I do, I’m usually wiggling my feet or bouncing my knee (which drives my wife nuts!) I don’t know why, but I just have the hardest time sitting still and being quiet. I guess I don’t feel productive when I’m not moving or doing anything.

This passage is probably one of the hardest passages in all of Scripture. It is hard for many people. We have become accustomed to always being on the go and not slowing down. It is hard for so many of us to make time to just be still. Well, God has a problem with that. We need time to slow down and just be still before Him. We need that quiet, that stillness. As uncomfortable as it might be, we desperately need it. We truly need that stillness in our lives, often. And, we actually need it daily. I know, many of you are probably thinking, “Yeah, right! I don’t have time to slow down!”

Plain and simple, we need to quiet our day somehow and take time to just be still and be in the presence of God. During that two hours I was home by myself reading a book, I kept thinking about how quiet it was and how uncomfortable that felt. I just am not used to it and I know that I need more of that. I just needed the time and quiet to clear my mind and focus on what God wanted to communicate to me while reading.

I realize that we are all very busy people. We seem to pride ourselves with being busy because busy equals productivity, right? Well…..to some degree, but not always. I want to encourage all of us to really consider how much stillness we are putting into our day to spend with God. We absolutely must make the time to be still. Wherever you have to go and just have some moments along and in quiet, do it! Make it a habit everyday if you can.

Make the time to be still!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Make The Time To Be Still”
By Zach Wood
Psalm 46:10 NIV
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

This past weekend, my wife and I had a weekend date while the girls were away. My wife worked for a couple hours Saturday night and I was home alone for 2 hours. When she left, I sat on the couch and read, with no TV or music on. It was completely quiet. And, I have to be honest, it was really weird. I sat there reading in complete silence and it just bothered me. Why? Because I am not used to having much quiet time to myself.

I am so used to being on the go and doing things all day long, whether at work or at home with my family. I am not good with being still. I just don’t sit down long. And, if I do, I’m usually wiggling my feet or bouncing my knee (which drives my wife nuts!) I don’t know why, but I just have the hardest time sitting still and being quiet. I guess I don’t feel productive when I’m not moving or doing anything.

This passage is probably one of the hardest passages in all of Scripture. It is hard for many people. We have become accustomed to always being on the go and not slowing down. It is hard for so many of us to make time to just be still. Well, God has a problem with that. We need time to slow down and just be still before Him. We need that quiet, that stillness. As uncomfortable as it might be, we desperately need it. We truly need that stillness in our lives, often. And, we actually need it daily. I know, many of you are probably thinking, “Yeah, right! I don’t have time to slow down!”

Plain and simple, we need to quiet our day somehow and take time to just be still and be in the presence of God. During that two hours I was home by myself reading a book, I kept thinking about how quiet it was and how uncomfortable that felt. I just am not used to it and I know that I need more of that. I just needed the time and quiet to clear my mind and focus on what God wanted to communicate to me while reading.

I realize that we are all very busy people. We seem to pride ourselves with being busy because busy equals productivity, right? Well…..to some degree, but not always. I want to encourage all of us to really consider how much stillness we are putting into our day to spend with God. We absolutely must make the time to be still. Wherever you have to go and just have some moments along and in quiet, do it! Make it a habit everyday if you can.

Make the time to be still!
You sound like me, it's almost like a restlessness but unlike you, I am happy to be able to get even half of the things I need doing and that would be enough productivity for me, lol.
I am blessed as I learned decades ago to somehow dislike the television...I do love to have Pandora on in the background with my fave Christian stations on. It always lightens the atmosphere! And yes, you are correct, it is hard to bring ourselves into communion/prayer on a regular basis; just Him and ourselves but...to hold yourself to a strict time/place could have you bringing condemnation/guilt upon yourself if you miss your "alone time", (and wouldn't Satan love that)?? It then as I see it, would become a "law" of your own making, putting yourself to bondage!
I believe I always have some kind of prayer taking place in my mind as I drive, shop, socialize...so then I have come to see this as prayer without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
But then, what do I know? I still have a hard time getting in any fervent alone prayer, mostly distractions like the phone, someone in the house calling me, 4 dogs, knock on the door...ha, Satan has 'em all down...it can be hard enough to just pray to ask for no distractions before praying (pre-prayer :D). I'm thinking He will grant your desire to be able to slow down and "know...
In Him and, welcome @hldude33 :)

Reactions: amadeus

LoveBeacon

Dec 23, 2018
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really enjoyed reading this.
Definitely need to slow down my day.
In fact, let me move away from this screen and slow down right now!
Gotta jet!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You sound like me, it's almost like a restlessness but unlike you, I am happy to be able to get even half of the things I need doing and that would be enough productivity for me, lol.
I am blessed as I learned decades ago to somehow dislike the television...I do love to have Pandora on in the background with my fave Christian stations on. It always lightens the atmosphere! And yes, you are correct, it is hard to bring ourselves into communion/prayer on a regular basis; just Him and ourselves but...to hold yourself to a strict time/place could have you bringing condemnation/guilt upon yourself if you miss your "alone time", (and wouldn't Satan love that)?? It then as I see it, would become a "law" of your own making, putting yourself to bondage!
I believe I always have some kind of prayer taking place in my mind as I drive, shop, socialize...so then I have come to see this as prayer without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
But then, what do I know? I still have a hard time getting in any fervent alone prayer, mostly distractions like the phone, someone in the house calling me, 4 dogs, knock on the door...ha, Satan has 'em all down...it can be hard enough to just pray to ask for no distractions before praying (pre-prayer :D). I'm thinking He will grant your desire to be able to slow down and "know...
In Him and, welcome @hldude33 :)
Here's also another good verse:

Psalm 46.10:

"Be still, and know that I am God'.

D

Dave L

Have you ever tried emptying your head of all thoughts and imaginations? And sustaining it for as long as possible?