Mark 8:23-30 (Blind man: sees, Who Am I Jesus asks?, Putting childishness away)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello you,

I believe that we are all out here in life living as we choose to and God is our Father and the Son of God is our Lord. Who we have faith in and love, it is said we are to Love God and others.

“Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭22:37-40‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

In this lesson we will be going through Mark 8:23-30 and will learn many things along the way, hopefully this video is helpful to you in some way and you learn something maybe you did not know before.

May God guide you and lead you by the spirit,
With love in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello you,

I believe that we are all out here in life living as we choose to and God is our Father and the Son of God is our Lord. Who we have faith in and love, it is said we are to Love God and others.

“Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭22:37-40‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

In this lesson we will be going through Mark 8:23-30 and will learn many things along the way, hopefully this video is helpful to you in some way and you learn something maybe you did not know before.

May God guide you and lead you by the spirit,
With love in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Who did Jesus say he was Matt?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you think he is Robert Gwin?

I have a study I made recently on the subject.

Scripture Study Lesson: Who is the Word of life, Word of God, and Jesus Christ?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take time to create these videos for other people because it’s helpful to hear the word of God number 1. It helps me retain what I have learned from scripture as well, and over all it’s important. Now in the lesson in the original post I may be wrong on somethings, and I may be wrong in some things in my second posted video.

Overall I simply love God and love Gods word and believes it good for people to hear it.

Just today I heard that some churches have songs for an hour, then another 25 minutes worth of announcements and maybe 10 minutes of the word…

That is not good for anyone, people will stay babes in Christ that way never maturing and never growing on the meat of the word that is so important to our growth as Christian believers today.

I personally hardly ever go to church, cause it hardly ever helped me anyway, it was singing and then a little bit of the word… and ever since I got taught more the Bible the more my love grew in understanding.

My encouragement to who ever read this go and read the word of God while you have time to, do you need it every day? I don’t know. Let the spirit guide you, and learn friend.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Now Jesus and His disciples went out to the towns of Caesarea Philippi; and on the road He asked His disciples, saying to them, “Who do men say that I am?” So they answered, “John the Baptist; but some say, Elijah; and others, one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered and said to Him, “You are the Christ.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:27-29‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Reactions: amadeus and charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'And He cometh to Bethsaida;
and they bring a blind man unto Him, and besought Him to touch him.
And He took the blind man by the hand, and led Him out of the town;
and when He had spit on his eyes, and put His hands upon him, He asked him if he saw ought.
And he looked up, and said, "I see men as trees, walking".
After that He put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up:
and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.
And He sent him away to his house, saying, "Neither go into the town, nor tell it to any in the town".
And Jesus went out, and His disciples, into the towns of Caesarea Philippi:
and by the way He asked His disciples, saying unto them, "Whom do men say that I am?"
And they answered," 'John the Baptist': but some say, 'Elias'; and others, 'One of the prophets'."
And He saith unto them, "But whom say ye that I am?"
And Peter answereth and saith unto him, "Thou art the Christ."
And He charged them that they should tell no man of Him.'

(Mar 8:22-30)

Hello MatthewG,

I have not listened to your video clips yet, but thank you for this reading.

* It is noteworthy that the Lord took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the town of Bethsaida, for the town was not allowed to witness or be told of it. Why? See Matthew 11:20-22: the unbelief of Bethsaida was symbolized by this:-

'Then began He to upbraid the cities
wherein most of His mighty works were done,
because they repented not:
Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida!
for if the mighty works, which were done in you,
had been done in Tyre and Sidon,
they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
But I say unto you,
It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon
at the day of judgment, than for you.'

(Mat 11:20-22)

* Also it is worth comparing the two stages of the miracle (which was unusual) and it's seeming difficulty: with the words of the Lord in Mark 8:17-18; for do not these two stages signify, or symbolise the failure of the disciples, earlier in the chapter, to understand and know what their Lord was doing, that He had to say to them, 'Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? (quoted from Jeremiah 5:21)

* How we must be careful not to become dull of hearing ourselves. Yes?

Just thoughts
Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your explanation of loving ourselves in the right order was good. Love God, love others, but then take care of yourself as well.

There are so many details in the passage you read that I wonder why are there. The way Jesus healed this man is so particular and I want to ask the Holy Spirit why Jesus spit and applied it to the man's eye.

Why did Jesus tell this man to be secretive? Why did he lead the man out of the town?

About 29 minutes in you said, Jesus touches him and he sees people correctly. It reminded me of a time where I looked around at high school and realized that each person was made in God's image and that I should love and respect them all because of it.

When I received the gospel, I began to see people correctly.

I think that due to the Old Testament, the Jews were supposed to know about the coming Messiah, but didn't recognize when Jesus came. Jesus expected them to know these things and rebuked them for their lack of understanding of the Scriptures like in the case of Nicodemus.

Because the prophecy of the gospel and God putting in people His Spirit is found in the Old Testament too, Jesus rebuked Nicodemus for not understanding the concept of being born again.

Anyway, this video really got me thinking. Thank you for posting it.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I read the passage, Mark 8:22-38 carefully and asked the Holy Spirit to show me some thing.

I asked earlier why the touching with the hands. But there in verse 22, I think is the answer: they besought him to touch him. (KJV).

That was the manner of their faith and God can be really specific. He works in the measure of our faith.

In the Old Testament, the prophet Elijah tells a widow to borrow jars and vessels to be filled with oil. So according to her faith and the number of jars she gave, that was how much oil she received.

In other passages, people believe Jesus can simply say the word and heal people. So that's how he heals them.

The woman with the issue of blood thought only to touch his garment---and so that was the manner of her healing.

Also, as to why he told the man to keep it a secret....I believe because of what he spoke of to the disciples afterward about having to suffer at men's hands, that he wanted the restored man not to cause him to be crucified before his time.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG

"The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he." John 4:25-26

Very good Amad! That is not the passage I had in mind for Matt, but it certainly does apply. Do you know the difference between the words Messiah and Christ sir?

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ and Messiah means anointed one @Robert Gwin.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
Christ.
From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus -- Christ.

see GREEK chrio

Reactions: Robert Gwin

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good Amad! That is not the passage I had in mind for Matt, but it certainly does apply. Do you know the difference between the words Messiah and Christ sir?
I see that @MatthewG has already answered with lexicon. I guess it is simply a difference in languages, the Greek and the Hebrew. It is effectively what the Samaritan woman said.

In the OT we see where the prophet Samuel anointed first Saul and then later David as king of Israel. Do you know what the difference might be between the anointing of Saul and David and the anointing of Jesus?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that @MatthewG has already answered with lexicon. I guess it is simply a difference in languages, the Greek and the Hebrew. It is effectively what the Samaritan woman said.

In the OT we see where the prophet Samuel anointed first Saul and then later David as king of Israel. Do you know what the difference might be between the anointing of Saul and David and the anointing of Jesus?

I do Amad, although all three were anointed as King, Jesus is the only one that was anointed by holy spirit.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do you have any insight or sources I can look at to see this by and chance, please bbyrd?
hmm, i did a search of “did caesar have the titles of Jesus” and got a few mentions,
“Caesar was “lord and savior,” and claiming these titles for anyone else would haveamounted to treason…”
“ the central creed of the Roman Empire, “Caesar is Lord.”

but as to a definitive source, not so much…but apparently they were also pharaoh’s titles
The amazing name Caesar: meaning and etymology
The divine father and his son the savior