Martial Arts for self defense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok i was going to put this in the morality forum but i thought i would try here first, should Christians use martial arts for self defense like karate, judo TKD? what are everyone's thoughts on this? i don't take martial arts classes but any opinions would be nice

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
ok i was going to put this in the morality forum but i thought i would try here first, should Christians use martial arts for self defense like karate, judo TKD? what are everyone's thoughts on this? i don't take martial arts classes but any opinions would be nice

@shortangel Interesting question.

I guess there are several aspects.

Self-defence (including special classes/applications for self-defence for women);

The culture of the martial arts;

Self-discipline and good health through martial arts activities.

The fact that the Lord protects His people (at times this may not exclude using means, if one's overall defence is trust in the Lord;

I guess there might be more aspects....

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Martial arts are great. For the rare/never time you need to use for self-defense (hopefully!), but also for everyday exercise, mind-body awareness, and general health. There's a long history and culture wherein people used these exercise to better hone their minds & bodies.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Martial arts are great. For the rare/never time you need to use for self-defense (hopefully!), but also for everyday exercise, mind-body awareness, and general health. There's a long history and culture wherein people used these exercise to better hone their minds & bodies.
I see that you are looking at them from the self-discipline and personal health aspects....

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@shortangel Interesting question.

I guess there are several aspects.

Self-defence (including special classes/applications for self-defence for women);

The culture of the martial arts;

Self-discipline and good health through martial arts activities.

The fact that the Lord protects His people (at times this may not exclude using means, if one's overall defence is trust in the Lord;

I guess there might be more aspects....

(I thought this picture was expressive: )

11.jpg
psdcollector dot blogspot dot com
The picture is expressive but inappropriate with cleavage showing (not to mention, a tattoo of a dragon). I hate that men gravitate to imagery like this. It places value on the wrong thing.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I learned a little taekwondo after I was in the military. And the military teaches combat skills. You have to be careful knowing martial arts as you can really hurt someone and potentially kill them easy in a fight. So you better make sure it is self defense and non-lethal. The kicking they teach in taefwondo is especially dangerous. But if you just use it for exercise then it's better perhaps.

Reactions: shortangel

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The picture is expressive but inappropriate with cleavage showing (not to mention, a tattoo of a dragon). I hate that men gravitate to imagery like this. It places value on the wrong thing.
Okay I'll delete the picture (it didn't strike me as bad...not a few women in church would be similar, anyway)

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I used to play Mortal Kombat my favorite character to use was Scorpion. I always won with that character:
200.gif

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I learned a little taekwondo after I was in the military. And the military teaches combat skills. You have to be careful knowing martial arts as you can really hurt someone and potentially kill them easy in a fight. So you better make sure it is self defense and non-lethal. The kicking they teach in taefwondo is especially dangerous. But if you just use it for exercise then it's better perhaps.

I know very little about martial arts and have never practiced them. Are you familiar with Aikido? It is presented as a martial art which is designed to disarm an opponent without doing any harm to the opponent. (For that reason, I’m sure the military would have no interest in it.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know very little about martial arts and have never practiced them. Are you familiar with Aikido? It is presented as a martial art which is designed to disarm an opponent without doing any harm to the opponent. (For that reason, I’m sure the military would have no interest in it.)
It's like the difference between responsible journalism and the 'take no prisoners' style of invasive politicking on TV..........

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I haven't studied it. I once did some sparing with a man that was a black belt in karate. He beat me pretty terribly. My skills in taekwando are limited to blocking and kicking.

It did come in handy during one fight where I dated a woman. Apparently she had a boyfriend that she didn't tell me about. He came at me to punch me and I blocked it successfully. :cool:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watched this documentary a while back and ever since then I decided... No. And stayed away from pretty much everything martial arts.

I got into yoga again for a bit and I assume I opened myself up to things by doing so even though I don't care about the "spiritual" parts. At all.

So I had quit, but during flexibility exercises, some of the same poses come up, but what is a person supposed to do... age into the tin man instead?

I guess the answer here probably relies on understanding but also common sense.

Curious what @SERVANTedu thinks :)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's like the difference between responsible journalism and the 'take no prisoners' style of invasive politicking on TV..........

Thanks. I like your analogy.

It sounds to me like a Christian might in good conscience be able to practice Aikido and love his/her enemy. That seems questionable to me with other forms of martial art.

But as I said, I know very little about any of it. I’m just looking for opinions about it from people who are knowledgeable on the subject.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. I like your analogy.

It sounds to me like a Christian might in good conscience be able to practice Aikido and love his/her enemy. That seems questionable to me with other forms of martial art.

But as I said, I know very little about any of it. I’m just looking for opinions about it from people who are knowledgeable on the subject.
I think martial arts classes and teachers can help keep kids out of trouble. But then again, teaching them to fight can also get them into trouble. I think sports might be a better direction for youth. Keep Your Kids Out of Trouble with After School Programs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think martial arts classes and teachers can help keep kids out of trouble. But then again, teaching them to fight can also get them into trouble. I think sports might be a better direction for youth. Keep Your Kids Out of Trouble with After School Programs
I uploaded a picture of a lady doing martial arts, but deleted when someone thought it was not suitable.

It's something that a lot of women do, as well as men. Do you think your ex-gf (that forgot to mention to you her existing bf) was into martial arts also?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344 Umm.....why do you think she failed to mention she was going with someone else also.....? o_O
Don't know. After he tried to punch me, she came outside with us and straightened him out that they weren't dating. She was really pretty and I liked her so I dated her for a while after, but then I moved and later married someone else.