Marvel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marvel

Do not marvel at words,
for worship of the words becomes idolatry.
Marvel at the One that spoke life in to existence.

Do not marvel at the creation,
for worship of the creation becomes idolatry.
Marvel at His glory displayed through the creation.

Do not marvel at the human body,
for worship of the human body becomes idolatry.
Marvel at the complexity of Our Maker.

Do not marvel at the angels,
for worship of the angels becomes idolatry.
Marvel at the One the angels bow down before and serve!

Do not marvel over the stars,
for worship of the stars becomes idolatry.
Marvel at the One that hung them in the night sky.

Do not marvel at the virgin Mary,
for worship of the virgin becomes idolatry.
Marvel at the One that gave to us…a Son. A Redeemer.
Christ.

“There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.” Deuteronomy 18: 10-11

That Besetting Sin

A heavy chain around my ankle.
Dragged with me wherever I go.
Loud rattling of chains reminding me that I am a slave.
Confinement.
Imprisonment.
I cannot break free. No matter how many times I confess it and turn away from it, that besetting sin is still there, shadowing my every thought. I see it, in the mirror there, reflected back at me. The ugly wretchedness of repetition and disobedience. It becomes me. We are one. That besetting sin and me. It controls me. It destroys me. A few moments of pleasure for what? It produces nothing but pain and misery. That besetting sin.
It withholds Your blessing.
It withholds Your glory.
Why do I partner with it time and time again?
Will I ever break free?
This is not who I want to be.
I cry out, “Take it, Lord!”
You lifted it once. You took it away completely. But like a dog I returned to my vomit. Full of mercy and grace You lifted it a second time. The thief returned to tempt with that old besetting sin.

Oh, will I ever break free?

I know your power, Lord. I have witnessed it. I have experienced it. I have tasted the sweet forgiveness of it. You are strong. I am weak. I inhale and smoke fills my lungs. Pollution. The devil seeps in and clouds our intimacy, Yours and mine, with that old besetting sin. How long will this continue? I breathe in the toxins, a slave to the flesh. But it no longer holds the same power it once held.
We are no longer one. That besetting sin and me.

You have overcome it.

It doesn’t own me. That besetting sin. It is but a ploy. A diversion of an enemy that hasn’t figured out that YOU are my LORD and Saviour. My salvation depends totally on Your sovereign Grace. You have done what I could not. You carried the weight of my besetting sin...

and nailed it to The Cross.

I cannot earn it.
The gift of Grace is free.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@VictoryinJesus Sorry, this is a bit old, but something I thought of:

Interesting the use of the metaphor about the chain around the ankle. Yes, it's true that some chains can weigh down the ankle. But not necessarily so. Sometimes an ankle chain is not heavy; sometimes it is an added, personal aesthetic. By extension, I suppose, if inhales are being compared, then they need not be dominant; they may be a lighter, extra personal sense of the aesthetic which need not impinge on the prioritized, deeper, inward and spiritual goals and matters for the firm repose of one's faith.

(Not sure if I've expressed this exactly in a clear way, but my 2c...)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus Sorry, this is a bit old, but something I thought of:

Interesting the use of the metaphor about the chain around the ankle. Yes, it's true that some chains can weigh down the ankle. But not necessarily so. Sometimes an ankle chain is not heavy; sometimes it is an added, personal aesthetic. By extension, I suppose, if inhales are being compared, then they need not be dominant; they may be a lighter, extra personal sense of the aesthetic which need not impinge on the prioritized, deeper, inward and spiritual goals and matters for the firm repose of one's faith.

(Not sure if I've expressed this exactly in a clear way, but my 2c...)

@farouk that was so long ago! In the beginning. Not sure I still see besetting sin in the same way.

Reactions: farouk