Marys

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Which mary anointed Jesus with the expensive perfume?Lazarus' sister, Mary Magdalene, or is it possible they are one and the same?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
A little know fact is that almost every female in the time of Jesus was named Mary. In fact, if you yelled Mary 5 or 6 would come running.Mary and Martha where sisters. It was this Mary that anointed the feet of Jesus with the expensive perfume. The other Mary was Jesus Momma.and the Other Mary was from a different location. Magdala. This was a small place somewhere on the sea shore of Galilee. God's Word does try to keep them separate for us. Joh 11:1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. Joh 11:2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.) Mat 27:61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre. Every time Mary Magdalene was mentioned, Her name and the location she was from was given. Luk 8:2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, Seemed that Mary Magdalene had a devil infestation. She did not have a sister named Martha though.Luk 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. Luk 10:40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. Luk 10:41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: Luk 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. Here we see the two sisters at odds with one another. Mary Magdalene was not present.Martha invited Jesus into their house, It was now that Mary was introduced for the first time, Mary Magdalene was already known to Jesus before this.Jesus Is Lord

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
I know that Magdala is a long way from Bethany where Lazarus & sister lived, but that alone doesn't prove they are different.Remember that people are typically named for where they originally came from ( or their forbears), and not for where they currently live. Thus you would not expect to find a John London living in London etc.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
If you already know the answer, then why ask the question. It is not very polite to waste another Brother in Christ time with a "Baited" Question. I answered with a heart of wanting to help. Every time Mary Magdalene was mentioned her full name was given.If you don't believe that, then why the question you already have your belief set on? Jesus Is Lord

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
[quote name='Brother Mike;72017]If you already know the answer' date=' then why ask the question. It is not very polite to waste another Brother in Christ time with a "Baited" Question. I answered with a heart of wanting to help. Every time Mary Magdalene was mentioned her full name was given.If you don't believe that, then why the question you already have your belief set on? Jesus Is Lord[/QUOTE']You mis-judge me, I have not proved the point, I wondered if anyone had.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
If I have spoken wrong of you then forgive me. You have 300 some post, so I know you have some knowledge of something concerning the Word.My point is that the scripture was careful to point out what Mary's it was referring to. Mary Mag was never mentioned as having a sibling and called by Mary Magdalene every time she was mentioned.Mary the one with the perfume had a Sister and Jesus had already meet Mary Magdalene before meeting Martha who invited Him in. All four Gospels were pretty much written in the order things occurred. So, I count 3 Mary'sMary Jesus MomMary the sister of Marthaand Mary Magdalene the one that had the devils.There is no evidence that Mary Magdalene was Martha's sister and used the perfume, though she wanted to anoint the body of Jesus Latter. Because the Bible takes care in mentioning which Mary is being talked about, I am sure that connection would have been made and not left out if it was Mary Magdalene that used the perfume. Jesus Is Lord.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Brother Mike;72021]. . . My point is that the scripture was careful to point out what Mary said:
You make good points. I'm being a bit lazy' date=' if I really want to [I']know[/I] I will have to make sure I know every detail on the subject.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Once again, I am sorry if I misjudged you. Being Lazy and not looking it up yourself is fine by me because it is better to ask, then compare. Thats what I do. I have read other debates on the subject as a lot of Christians think Mary Mag and Mary the perfume lady are the same. close look at how detailed the scripture goes out of the way to make sure we know which Mary is being talked about and the fact Jesus met Mary Mag before Mary the perfume lady and no mention of Mary Mag having a sister is good enough for me to conclude that there are Three different Mary's mentioned in the Gospel's.Be blessed!!!Jesus Is Lord