MATTHEW 3:11 BAPTISMS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Baptism is not only a water baptism.

It is evident that in this verse, there are three baptisms. Water baptism unto repentance to acknowledge Jesus is their King, Messiah, the Son of God; baptism by the Holy Ghost, the outpouring of the Spirit of the new testament; baptism with fire or coming judgment and refining.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

It is evident that in this verse, there are three baptisms. Water baptism unto repentance to acknowledge Jesus is their King, Messiah, the Son of God; baptism by the Holy Ghost, the outpouring of the Spirit of the new testament; baptism with fire or coming judgment and refining.

I am not disagreeing with you, but could you explain in light of what you have said and quoted what these verses mean?

"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
One Lord, one faith, one baptism," Eph 4:4-6

Reactions: LC627

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have it all ............... Upon belief !!!!!!!!!!

Eph.2;
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bible also mentions these...

-People baptized into Moses (1 Cor. 10:1-4)

-Baptism of the "Cross" ..."You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said. "Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?" - Mark 10:38

Reactions: mailmandan and Doug

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The fire is the Holy Ghost. Reference Acts 2:3 for context.

Bible study Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bible also mentions these...

-People baptized into Moses (1 Cor. 10:1-4)

-Baptism of the "Cross" ..."You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said. "Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?" - Mark 10:38

Mark 10:38, IN CONTEXT, does not refer to baptism of the Cross. He further went on to say “The cup that I drink you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized. There is no record of James and John being put on a cross so He wasn't speaking about a baptism on the cross. However, they were baptized with water as all Christians were in those days.

Mary

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:38, IN CONTEXT, does not refer to baptism of the Cross. He further went on to say “The cup that I drink you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized. There is no record of James and John being put on a cross so He wasn't speaking about a baptism on the cross. However, they were baptized with water as all Christians were in those days.

Mary

It refers to Jesus' work/sacrifice on the cross. His undertaking for salvation for mankind

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fire is the Holy Ghost. Reference Acts 2:3 for context.

Bible study Mary

Mary, the context of this verse deals with judgment not Acts 2. Let's view verse 12... Matthew 3:12 - He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It refers to Jesus' work/sacrifice on the cross. His undertaking for salvation for mankind
Baptism = Jesus work/sacrifice on the cross? Is that what you are saying?

Mary

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Baptism = Jesus work/sacrifice on the cross? Is that what you are saying?

Mary
In this case Jesus was simply saying He was going to be submerged/immersed into suffering.

Baptism does not always mean with water, as with the case with fire.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary, the context of this verse deals with judgment not Acts 2. Let's view verse 12... Matthew 3:12 - He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.
EDIT: The context of which verse?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

In this case Jesus was simply saying He was going to be submerged/immersed into suffering.

Baptism does not always mean with water, as with the case with fire.
I think I see what you are saying. Baptism by fire are the trials and testing of His disciples?

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I see what you are saying. Baptism by fire are the trials and testing of His disciples?

In the Mark 10:35 passage when Jesus mentions the baptism He will experience, He is simply saying that on the cross He will be immersed/submerged into suffering. Baptism defined is simply, submerge/immerse/dip.

Baptized with fire deals with judgment. Right after Matthew 3:11, verse 12 gives the context of it.

Reactions: mailmandan

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demons are fallen angels, of course they believe, they have seen heaven and have no reason to not believe. Their fate is sealed and repentance is not offered to fallen angels.

YES......... for sure !!! You have it right ! You know that of course LC627........................!

Reactions: LC627