Matthew 7:22-23

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I’ve seen a few interpretations of this passage. I’ve been told that these are Christians who have forfeited their salvation by practicing lawlessness. Others have said that these are people practicing other religions and come to grips with the falseness of their religion. Personally, I believe that these are professing Christians who are under the delusion that they are saved while lacking a faith that transforms.

The reason I believe this is that these people recognize Jesus (“Lord, Lord”) as God. They appear to have been active in the work of the ministry - perhaps used by God to reach many for Christ. They have at some level bought into the Christian faith, but on a deeper level are found lacking for Christ never knew them.

What are other interpretations?

TheWind

Aug 3, 2019
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I’ve seen a few interpretations of this passage. I’ve been told that these are Christians who have forfeited their salvation by practicing lawlessness. Others have said that these are people practicing other religions and come to grips with the falseness of their religion. Personally, I believe that these are professing Christians who are under the delusion that they are saved while lacking a faith that transforms.

The reason I believe this is that these people recognize Jesus (“Lord, Lord”) as God. They appear to have been active in the work of the ministry - perhaps used by God to reach many for Christ. They have at some level bought into the Christian faith, but on a deeper level are found lacking for Christ never knew them.

These are they that did not keep the commandments of Christ.

But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

As it is written:

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me:

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I think it has to do with how one interprets "in your name". These who Christ doesn't know are simply walking around professing to carry out God's will. They say, "In Christ's name, I cast out this demon", but we have examples of those in the book of Acts who tried to pull this stunt and the demons would say, "We know who Christ is, and we know who Paul is, but we don't know who you are" at which point instead of fleeing, they simply possess them.

To say "in the name" means "by his authority". They have the authority to cast out demons, prophecy, etc. because God has given them that authority. Today, there are countless Christians who are under the delusion that by simply articulating Christ's name, they have the authority to do his will.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it has to do with how one interprets "in your name". These who Christ doesn't know are simply walking around professing to carry out God's will. They say, "In Christ's name, I cast out this demon", but we have examples of those in the book of Acts who tried to pull this stunt and the demons would say, "We know who Christ is, and we know who Paul is, but we don't know who you are" at which point instead of fleeing, they simply possess them.

To say "in the name" means "by his authority". They have the authority to cast out demons, prophecy, etc. because God has given them that authority. Today, there are countless Christians who are under the delusion that by simply articulating Christ's name, they have the authority to do his will.
That (interpretations of "in your name") is a good point and a good topic.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You're creating what's called an 'infinite loop' in software programming. How can a lack of faith be their fault, the works they claimed to do in Jesus' Name shows they had plenty of it. Their faith wasn't the problem. The idea of living a holy life is more likely what our Lord Jesus was pointing to.

Just prior to that in Matthew 7, our Lord Jesus had said this:

Matt 7:19-20
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
KJV

He said those who did many wonderful works in His Name also worked "iniquity" (wickedness, unrighteousness).

What level of wickedness might that be? Having another man's wife? Stealing Church donations? Abusing children? Extortion? Bearing false witness? Fornication? etc. Have these things happened in many of today's Churches? Yes.

Another thing about what He said; He didn't condemn to the lake of fire. He said He will say to those to get away from Him when He returns, that He never knew them. That means those will be assigned a place with the wicked in the future "outer darkness" during His future thousand years reign with His elect. It doesn't mean destruction in the lake of fire. It means standing in judgment throughout His future Millennial reign.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Greetings, Caldwell.

Ever study the writings of the early fathers? The contention regarding this verse was that the early Gnostics, i.e. followers of Simon the magician, were the fulfillers of this prophecy during NT times. They were followers of "Christ," but not the same Jesus the apostles were preaching. They taught that the true "Christ" descended from a god much higher than the God of the OT, whom they regarded as an evil being that was to be despised. But they operated in demonic power, and practiced magic like their founder, hence the Lord's reference to their performing supernatural works in His name and yet He never knew them, meaning they had never received the Holy Spirit.

As for its ultimate fulfillment, I believe that this same phenomenon will return in the earth eventually. The revival of true NT era Gnosticism is increasing in the earth once again, but it will take awhile before it gets here in earnest.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi John,

I think this is the meaning of the passage, myself.

People who claim this point to their works, but Jesus looks for relationship. Their works are lawless as they are done according to what they think they should do, not what Jesus does in them.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're creating what's called an 'infinite loop' in software programming. How can a lack of faith be their fault, the works they claimed to do in Jesus' Name shows they had plenty of it. Their faith wasn't the problem. The idea of living a holy life is more likely what our Lord Jesus was pointing to.
But Jesus never knew them, so how is it they had faith?

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Not every one that saith unto me, "Lord, Lord",
.. shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to Me in that day,
.. "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?

.... and in Thy name have cast out devils?
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"

And then will I profess unto them,
.. "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

(Mat 7:21-23)

'Jesus answered and said unto them,
This is the work of God,
that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.'
(John 6:29)

'And this is the will of Him that sent Me,
that every one which seeth the Son,
and believeth on Him,
may have everlasting life:
and I will raise him up at the last day.

(John 6:39-40)

Hello there,

* The word 'will' in the verses from Matthew (above), is the Greek word, 'thelema', and it is important to take note of it's meaning, for it means the desire rather than the resolve. It is the Father's 'will' or 'desire' that mankind should believe on Him Whom He hath sent.

* It doesn't matter how many works a man does, how seemingly miraculous, or in whose name; if he has unbelief in His heart then he is not doing the will of the Father.

* It is important also to know: - Who is speaking? and, To Whom? Isn't it? At what time? What is actually being said (or the words used) ? What comes before, and what comes after (the context) ? Who is speaking? To whom? At what time? With what intent? - [e.g., What is the Kingdom being referred to? and the day spoken of in the words, 'in that day'?]

* The term, 'The Kingdom of Heaven', is only used in Matthew's gospel, isn't it? In the other gospels the term used is, 'The Kingdom of God'. Why has Matthew been divinely guided to retained the words, 'The Kingdom of Heaven'? It is sometimes used of the Messiah's kingdom on earth, and sometimes of the heavenly sovereignty over the earth. This sovereignty comes from Heaven, because the King is to come from there.(John 18:36). It was to this end He was born, and is the first subject of His ministry. The kingdom was rejected (Matthew 4:17 & Ch.), as was it's further proclamation during the days of 'The Acts of The Apostles' (Acts 3:19-26). So the earthly realisation of this kingdom has been postponed and is now in abeyance until the King shall be sent from heaven (Acts 3:20). The 'secrets' of this Kingdom (Matthew 13:11) pertained to the postponement of it's earthly realisation, on account of it's being rejected.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Jay Ross

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not thinking.
OK. I'll have to try thinking sometime then. :confused:

Oh, wait. They claimed to have worked miracles in His Name, did they in fact? Something to think about . . .

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How could they work miracles in His Name then? You're not thinking.
'Not every one that saith unto me, "Lord, Lord,"
shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
Many will say to me in that day,

"Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?
and in Thy name have cast out devils?
and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"
I never knew you:
depart from Me,
ye that work iniquity.'
(Matthew 7:21)

Hello @Davy & @marks,

There will be many working 'miracles', even in His Name, 'in that day', will there not? In the form of lying signs and wonders. They will not be men of faith, otherwise our Lord would not say that He never knew them. They will be counterfeit. Remember Jannes and Jambres in the time of Moses? (2 Timothy 3:8)

The 'day' referred to is important in regard to understanding this I feel. :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Not every one that saith unto me, "Lord, Lord",
.. shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
Many will say to Me in that day,
.. "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?

.... and in Thy name have cast out devils?
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"

.. "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

(Mat 7:21-23)

'Jesus answered and said unto them,
This is the work of God,
that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.'
(John 6:29)

'And this is the will of Him that sent Me,
that every one which seeth the Son,
and believeth on Him,
may have everlasting life:
and I will raise him up at the last day.

(John 6:39-40)

You have taken the John 6 Scripture partially out of its chapter context.

John 6:24-44
24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither His disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
25 And when they had found Him on the other side of the sea, they said unto Him, "Rabbi, when camest Thou hither?"
26 Jesus answered them and said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek Me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for Him hath God the Father sealed."

The multitudes followed Jesus not because they believed on Him, but because He fed them. They loved the idea of free meals evidently.

28 Then said they unto Him, "What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?"
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent."
30 They said therefore unto Him, "What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe Thee? what dost Thou work?
31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'

They didn't see the miracle of His feeding them as anything more than what God did through Moses in the wilderness with the heavenly manna. So they wouldn't believe on Him just because of that working of the loaves and fishes.

32 Then Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but My Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is He Which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

Jesus speaking of Himself being sent from Heaven by The Father.

34 Then said they unto Him, "Lord, evermore give us this bread."
35 And Jesus said unto them, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst.
36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen Me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.

Our Lord Jesus makes a distinction between those of them who believed not, and those whom The Father have given Him that will come to Him and believe.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do Mine Own will, but the will of Him That sent Me.
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent Me, that of all which He hath given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of Him That sent Me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Again, He mentions the condition of "that of all which He hath given Me" from The Father.

41 The Jews then murmured at Him, because He said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.
42 And they said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that He saith, I came down from heaven?"
43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, "Murmur not among yourselves."
44 No man can come to Me, except the Father Which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
KJV

Again Jesus makes the distinction of only those whom The Father has drawn can come to Jesus. It is why Christ's Apostles asked Him in Matthew 13 why He spoke to the multitudes in parables, and He said it was not given to them to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Thus the John 6 Message is not a Message that all we need do is believe on Jesus.

There is no Message there in John 6 about 'how' we are to serve Christ Jesus after having believed on Him. There is plenty Scripture written later by Apostle Paul on 'how' we are to serve Jesus after having believed on Him and been baptized.

That John 6 Chapter is about initial first belief. Those multitudes who followed Him didn't believe on Him, but believed on the free food handout. And then some of the Jews among them began murmuring because what He said about coming down from heaven was close to saying He had some special relationship with God, while they only saw Him as the carpenter's son. At the end of John 8 is really where Jesus reveals to the Jews His claim to be The I AM (God's sacred name).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. I'll have to try thinking sometime then. :confused:

Oh, wait. They claimed to have worked miracles in His Name, did they in fact? Something to think about . . .

Much love!

Why don't you write your own Bible then if you don't believe what our Lord Jesus said? Many here try to do that, so you might as well also.

Matt 7:22
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"
KJV

He didn't deny they had done those things, like you have, which is to re-write that actual Scripture. If He hadn't said that verse we could just pass it off as those He was speaking about being unbelievers. No, He was pointing to believers, like the five foolish virgins of Matthew 25.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You have taken the John 6 Scripture partially out of its chapter context.

John 6:24-44
24 When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither His disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
25 And when they had found Him on the other side of the sea, they said unto Him, "Rabbi, when camest Thou hither?"
26 Jesus answered them and said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek Me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for Him hath God the Father sealed."

The multitudes followed Jesus not because they believed on Him, but because He fed them. They loved the idea of free meals evidently.

28 Then said they unto Him, "What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?"
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent."
30 They said therefore unto Him, "What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe Thee? what dost Thou work?
31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'

They didn't see the miracle of His feeding them as anything more than what God did through Moses in the wilderness with the heavenly manna. So they wouldn't believe on Him just because of that working of the loaves and fishes.

32 Then Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but My Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is He Which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

Jesus speaking of Himself being sent from Heaven by The Father.

34 Then said they unto Him, "Lord, evermore give us this bread."
35 And Jesus said unto them, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to Me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Me shall never thirst.
36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen Me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth Me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.

Our Lord Jesus makes a distinction between those of them who believed not, and those whom The Father have given Him that will come to Him and believe.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do Mine Own will, but the will of Him That sent Me.
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent Me, that of all which He hath given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of Him That sent Me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Again, He mentions the condition of "that of all which He hath given Me" from The Father.

41 The Jews then murmured at Him, because He said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.
42 And they said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that He saith, I came down from heaven?"
43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, "Murmur not among yourselves."
44 No man can come to Me, except the Father Which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
KJV

Again Jesus makes the distinction of only those whom The Father has drawn can come to Jesus. It is why Christ's Apostles asked Him in Matthew 13 why He spoke to the multitudes in parables, and He said it was not given to them to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Thus the John 6 Message is not a Message that all we need do is believe on Jesus.

There is no Message there in John 6 about 'how' we are to serve Christ Jesus after having believed on Him. There is plenty Scripture written later by Apostle Paul on 'how' we are to serve Jesus after having believed on Him and been baptized.

That John 6 Chapter is about initial first belief. Those multitudes who followed Him didn't believe on Him, but believed on the free food handout. And then some of the Jews among them began murmuring because what He said about coming down from heaven was close to saying He had some special relationship with God, while they only saw Him as the carpenter's son. At the end of John 8 is really where Jesus reveals to the Jews His claim to be The I AM (God's sacred name).
Thank you for your response, @Davy,

I am aware that I only quoted concerning what the will of God was, - that they should believe on Him that He had sent: for that was in keeping with the subject at hand. However, I have had further thoughts on this, which I should really enter, and will do so when I can.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Not every one that saith unto me, "Lord, Lord,"
shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
Many will say to me in that day,

"Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?
and in Thy name have cast out devils?
and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"
I never knew you:
depart from Me,
ye that work iniquity.'
(Matthew 7:21)

Hello @Davy & @marks,

There will be many working 'miracles', even in His Name, 'in that day', will there not? In the form of lying signs and wonders (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12). They will not be men of faith, otherwise our Lord would not say that He never knew them. They will be counterfeit. Remember Jannes and Jambres in the time of Moses? (2 Timothy 3:8)

The 'day' referred to is important in regard to understanding this I feel. :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

No, that's changing what the actual Scripture declares.

The coming singular Antichrist our Lord Jesus said will come is who Paul was pointing to as the "man of sin" in 2 Thess.2. Paul wasn't pointing to any multitude of antichrists doing lying wonders like you've apparently been miss-taught.

The "in that day" phrase is about the day of Jesus' 2nd coming, not the tribulation. When Jesus appears, those will come up to Him claim their works in Him. You cannot change that timing like you've here tried to do.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your response, @Davy,

I am aware that I only quoted concerning what the will of God was, - that they should believe on Him that He had sent: for that was in keeping with the subject at hand. However, I have had further thoughts on this, which I should really enter, and will do so when I can.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

As long as you don't try to use that John 6 passage as an all-inclusive doctrine of man that all we need do is believe on Jesus and do nothing else for Him. Jesus is not teaching there just to believe and then do nothing else.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you write your own Bible then if you don't believe what our Lord Jesus said? Many here try to do that, so you might as well also.

22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"
KJV

He didn't deny they had done those things, like you have, which is to re-write that actual Scripture. If He hadn't said that verse we could just pass it off as those He was speaking about being unbelievers. No, He was pointing to believers, like the five foolish virgins of Matthew 25.

Hi Davy,

There's no need to get all personal on me.

But let's play it like it lays.

Why don't you write your own Bible then if you don't believe what our Lord Jesus said?

This is a complex question, that being a question that can only be answered if you first assume something else first. In this case the fallacy lies in the assumption I don't believe what Jesus said.

In fact I do believe what Jesus said, so this question is completely invalid. But to answer your question as best I can, I don't write my own Bible because that would be a contradiction of terms, If I wrote it, it wouldn't be the Bible.

Many here try to do that, so you might as well also.

Rather not, thank you!

KJV
He didn't deny they had done those things,

No, Jesus did not deny that they had done such works "in Thy name". He neither denied nor affirmed. He only responded to their lack of real relationship.

This does not speak towards whether their claims were true or not.

Consider the rich young ruler, "All these commandments I've kept from my youth". Jesus didn't dispute with the man, He merely pointed to his current need.

Does that mean we accept the man's claims at their face value? That he had perfectly kept each of those commandments since he was young? It's just not addressed in Scripture my Jesus, but in principle, all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory.

like you have,

I'm pointing out that this is simply their claim. This passage is prophetic narrative, and is the story of what they say, and what Jesus says, in this time to come. It's not descriptive telling us that these people, though condemned by Jesus, were quite honest and knowledgeable about what they appear to have assumed would get them into the kingdom - that is, their works. And they were wrong about that. What else might they have been wrong about?

which is to re-write that actual Scripture.

Au contraire, I've not changed a single word, or suggested that any of these words mean anything other than their normal and customary meaning. I only point out what was, and what was not said.

If He hadn't said that verse we could just pass it off as those He was speaking about being unbelievers. No, He was pointing to believers, like the five foolish virgins of Matthew 25.

All Jesus said was, I Never knew you. Doesn't sound like believers to me.

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Jesus did not deny that they had done such works "in Thy name". He neither denied nor affirmed. He only responded to their lack of real relationship.

Thing is, if you remove their claim, it removes the revelation that those will be believers that will claim that at His appearing. It will thus also destroy our Lord's Message there about their also having worked iniquity.

When our Lord Jesus comes, only His elect who stayed focused on Him, doing The Father's will, will reign with Jesus over the nations during the thousand years. Those who fell away will have their place in separation with the wicked in the "outer darkness". We are shown with the five foolish virgins that He will close the door on them also (Matt.25).

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, that's changing what the actual Scripture declares.

The coming singular Antichrist our Lord Jesus said will come is who Paul was pointing to as the "man of sin" in 2 Thess.2. Paul wasn't pointing to any multitude of antichrists doing lying wonders like you've apparently been miss-taught.

The "in that day" phrase is about the day of Jesus' 2nd coming, not the tribulation. When Jesus appears, those will come up to Him claim their works in Him. You cannot change that timing like you've here tried to do.
Hello @Davy,

When you use such terms as, 'miss-taught' in relation to me, or imply that I am trying to do anything underhand, then you will get no response from me.
Davy:-
As long as you don't try to use that John 6 passage as an all-inclusive doctrine of man that all we need do is believe on Jesus and do nothing else for Him. Jesus is not teaching there just to believe and then do nothing else.

* The same applies to this, Davy.
If you are not prepared to treat me as someone who, like yourself, values the Word of God, then I am not prepared to respond to your posts.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: shnarkle