mental illness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'm sure everyone has needed to deal with someone suffering from what is classified as a mental illness these days. I am curious what everyone thinks.

Do you consider some actions acceptable when someone is known to have a mental disorder? To what disorders would you extend that courtesy? What about medicating them?

Here is some food for thought:
1. A functioning sociopath threatens to sue someone over trivial stuff, as an outside party how do you deal with it.

2. Someone with tourette syndrome is using profanity involuntarily around your kids.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
lforrest said:
1. A functioning sociopath threatens to sue someone over trivial stuff, as an outside party how do you deal with it.
2. Someone with tourette syndrome is using profanity involuntarily around your kids.
1. anyone who acts like this regardless of their known illnesses should be ostracized.
2. I would limit my family's exposure but be understanding of this person myself.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
I'm sure everyone has needed to deal with someone suffering from what is classified as a mental illness these days. I am curious what everyone thinks.
Do you consider some actions acceptable when someone is known to have a mental disorder? To what disorders would you extend that courtesy? What about medicating them?
There is no difference between mental illness and physical illness in terms of it being a malady. I'm not an expert but if the book says it's a mental illness then it's a mental illness. If there is medication for an existing mental illness then yes it should be taken. That of course is in the domain of a doctor for a clinical psychiatrist. It's not up to me to decide if somebody needs medication or not.
1. As an outside party it's none of my business.
2. I would educate my kids as to exactly what that person's problem was. What I wouldn't do is shield my kids from the reality of ANY illness.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
There is no difference between mental illness and physical illness in terms of it being a malady. I'm not an expert but if the book says it's a mental illness then it's a mental illness. If there is medication for an existing mental illness then yes it should be taken. That of course is in the domain of a doctor for a clinical psychiatrist. It's not up to me to decide if somebody needs medication or not.
1. As an outside party gets none of my business.
2. I would educate my kids as to exactly what that person's problem was. What I wouldn't do is shield my kids from the reality of ANY illness.
1. So you would go on associating with them?
2. If it is a mundane mental illness I can agree with that approach.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
1. So you would go on associating with them?
2. If it is a mundane mental illness I can agree with that approach.
1. I used the wrong word in number one above, which I have now corrected, but I'm not sure what you mean by I would go on associating with them? I am an outside party so apparently I have never associated with them, but I would see no reason to not associate with them if they were indeed a friend or colleague or acquaintance.

2. Well you did give an example of Tourette's Syndrome so in that vein I would have no problem. If it was paranoid schizophrenia I would probably have to think a lot longer and harder and try to ascertain just how dangerous it would be to my kids.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
1. I used the wrong word in number one above, which I have now corrected, but I'm not sure what you mean by I would go on associating with them? I am an outside party so apparently I have never associated with them, but I would see no reason to not associate with them if they were indeed a friend or colleague or acquaintance.
And by continuing to associate with this person you risk being manipulated, and also run the risk of being sued yourself should you say the wrong thing.

Not to mention how utterly worldly it is to sue someone over trivial stuff in order to hurt them.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
And by continuing to associate with this person you risk being manipulated, and also run the risk of being sued yourself should you say the wrong thing.
Not to mention how utterly worldly it is to sue someone over trivial stuff in order to hurt them.
Again you have blurred the lines of this scenario for me. I can assure you that at my age I run very little risk of being manipulated by anybody and as such I could never be sued by them regardless of how litigious they are. Also Canada is probably not as litigious a society as the U.S. is, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
I have not once advocated that any Christian should sue another Christian so I'm not quite sure what the admonition here is meant to accomplish?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
I have not once advocated that any Christian should sue another Christian so I'm not quite sure what the admonition here is meant to accomplish?
I propose that the person in this example should be avoided, and to support that action I refer to how worldly their behavior is.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
I propose that the person in this example should be avoided, and to support that action I refer to how worldly their behavior is.
So you're advocating we should avoid worldly people? That's not something Jesus taught us.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Our association with the world should be measured. when Jesus visited the homes of sinners it wasn't to condone their sin.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
lforrest said:

2. Someone with tourette syndrome is using profanity involuntarily around your kid
Most folk with mental disorders have already been diagnosed and are using some form of medication. Sometimes the Doctor needs to adjust that medication to suit the individual particularly when they have been given a new or different drug which has caused an inbalance with other drugs they are using.

The exact cause of Tourette is an unknown inherited, neuropsychiatry attributed to diseases of the nervous system. The cause of bipolar is also unknown but there seems to be physical changes that happen in the brain. Bipolar also has inherited traits which are found in family members such as parents or siblings who have already the condition...

There is a bit of fear out there with certain folk who display symptoms of mental illness and I think that Christians should be more understanding about their struggles. JM :9qcrib: :2ztacrk:

PS: I personally think that most mental illness are genetically inherited...

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i believe everyone has a story and every story deserves to be heard. to criticize and/or ostrasize a person without any knowledge of what their circumstances are is wrong. another thing to do something or not do something that is not lead by the Spirit will probably either end in failure or create very little fruit. but when the Spirit is allowed to do as He wants then amazing results occur and many times signs, miracles, and healing follow.

lforrest said:

so to sum up to ask what i would do in this circumstance i would have to say first, to be lead by the Spirit or second to do as the Word teaches if there is no guidance by the Holy Spirit at that time.

so according to your first point i would do as the Word says and Love [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for] your enemies, [make it a practice to] do good to those who hate you, 28 bless and show kindness to those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 Whoever [i]strikes you on the cheek, offer him the other one also [simply ignore insignificant insults or losses and do not bother to retaliate—maintain your dignity]. Whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you. [j]Whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31 Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. that is one of several things the Word tells us to do.

second point, besides doing what i said above i would also set boundaries for that person on what we allow and don't allow if they desire to have relationship with me. i understand that a person may believe they have a medical condition and cannot help themselves but with God nothing is impossible. if the person is willing i would watch as God heals them and according to scripture i would see that person set free.

God bless

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some key facts about mental disorders are that it "afflict hundreds of millions of people in every part of the world and impact on the lives of their loved ones. One in four people will be affected by mental disorder at some point in their lives. Depression is the single largest contributor to worldwide disability. Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are among the most severe and disabling disorders......Although huge numbers of people are affected, mental disorders remain hidden, neglected and discriminated against".(WHO or World Health Organization, October, 2001)

And according to WHO, many people with mental illness refrain from seeking treatment because of the stigma associated with it. Also, although most mental disorders are treatable, in the United States approximately 60 percent of adults and almost 50 percent of youths aged 8 to 15 with a mental disorder did not receive treatment in 2013, as noted in the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

How then can one come to understand a mental disorder ? First, it is necessary to grasp what mental illness is. Experts define a mental disorder as a significant dysfunction in a person's thinking, emotional control, and behavior. Having this condition often disrupts a person's ability to relate to others and deal with the everyday demands of life.

And it need be noted that having a mental disorder is not the result of personal weakness or character flaw. Many people have learned though to deal with their mental disorder after acquiring a better understanding of their condition and following any treatment prescribed by mental-health professionals.

Can the Bible be of help ? Yes it can. The Bible does not indicate that spirituality cures medical or mental health problems. Yet, many families around the world have gained much comfort and strength from what the Bible teaches. It has given them hope for corrective change.

For instance, the Bible assures us that our loving Creator, Jehovah God, is keenly interested in consoling those who are "brokenhearted" and "crushed in spirit".(Ps 34:18) While the Bible is not a health care book, it provides practical guidelines that give a person coping skills so as to deal with painful emotions and distressing circumstances. (source of above information: December 2014 Awake ! magazine entitled "What You Should Know About Mental Disorders", published by Jehovah's Witnesses and available for free download)

It also gives hope of a future when life will be free of all illnesses and pain of heart. Revelation 21 says concerning when the earth is transformed into a paradise: "Look ! The tent of God is with mankind (on the earth where mankind lives, not in heaven), and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain (of heart or excessive pain caused by serious injury or otherwise) be anymore. The former things have passed away. And the One (Jehovah God) seated on the throne said: "Look ! I am making all things new (as in the garden of Eden when perfection reigned before Adam and Eve's rebellion)". Also he says: "Write, for these words are faithful and true".(Rev 21:3-5)

David wrote: "And the meek ones will possess the earth, and they will find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace (no physical ailments, only perfection in body and mind, as Adam was before he sinned)....forever".(Ps 37:11, 29; see also Jesus words at Matt 5:5)

Thus, God has purposed that all forms of illness, including mental disorders will be eradicated in the near future for "meek" ones.