Mentally-Stimulating Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

God bless to any who participate,
Hidden In Him

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not always into more complex forms of music - often I just enjoy simpler stuff - but then I also go on binges were I get deeply into more complex forms, including positive progressive and sometimes classical. I believe in the studies that have been done that more complex music stimulates brain activity, and it is certainly something the body of Christ like all people would benefit from. Granted, there is not a lot of more complex Christian music, which is why I often resort to secular stuff. But the fact that it has been shown in studies that not only human but even animal brain activity improves with the hearing of advanced musical structures proves the argument beyond doubt, at least to me anyway:

The ‘Mozart effect’: will classical music really make your baby smarter? - Classic FM

With that in mind, I hereby invite members who have classical, jazz or progressive interests to post on this thread if they would like to. I will start with some progressive that I've always liked. Yes is New Age, of course, but the theme of much of their music centers on love for others, so I enjoy the more modern stuff. I also prefer music with both power and intelligence behind it.

So here's my first offering. @Episkopos. Please accept my invitation to post some of your own work (I wouldn't mind listening to it again), as well as music that has inspired you and helped develop you as a musician. This site could use some life, and music often does the trick on other sites.

Hidden In Him

I grew up listening to classical music. My father played French horn in an orchestra. I played Bb clarinet through my college years and enjoyed playing many classical pieces in band and orchestra.

Handel is my favorite composer and Messiah is my favorite classical music. I was blessed to sing this in two civic choruses. This music is very inspired and complex. You really get to know how complex when you sing it.

Having been a musician for many years, I’ve seen that musical inspiration comes from various sources. I would question what kind of spirit inspires New Age music. Just wanted to caution you about this.

Edit: BTW, I enjoy various styles of music, but I enjoy acoustic the most, esp. acoustic guitar, violin, cello, mandolin. These sounds can be very relaxing without the New Age vibe. Here’s a sample.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would question what kind of spirit inspires New Age music. Just wanted to caution you about this.

Not a problem. Like I said, there is only so much intelligent Christian stuff out there. Not that there's little great Christian music, just not much good complex stuff of note.
I grew up listening to classical music. My father played French horn in an orchestra. I played Bb clarinet through my college years and enjoyed playing many classical pieces in band and orchestra.

Handel is my favorite composer and Messiah is my favorite classical music. I was blessed to sing this in two civic choruses. This music is very inspired and complex. You really get to know how complex when you sing it.

Well see, the idea here is to go ahead and post some, LoL. Find a nice video for me. Something that's pleasant to watch, and based around a piece you enjoy : )

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a problem. Like I said, there is only so much intelligent Christian stuff out there. Not that there's little great Christian music, just not much good complex stuff of note.

Well see, the idea here is to go ahead and post some, LoL. Find a nice video for me. Something that's pleasant to watch, and based around a piece you enjoy : )
Just did. :) Well, not any action, but good music.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, HiH. I usually feel like I’ve failed the assignment when I post in one of your threads. Being a teacher, I’m used to being the one who decides who passes or fails. But I do try to stick to the topic in general. Maybe I get an E for effort??

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, HiH. I usually feel like I’ve failed the assignment when I post in one of your threads. Being a teacher, I’m used to being the one who decides who passes or fails. But I do try to stick to the topic in general. Maybe I get an E for effort??

You get an A for... Accrementition! (increase or growth by adding similar material, LoL. I had to look it up :rolleyes: ).

Reactions: bbyrd009

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol! I’m an English teacher, and I’ve never seen that word. I’ll have to add it to my vocabulary. NOT!
Hey, I looked up your word, and this is the definition I found on Dictionary.com—Reproduction by budding or germination.

But, I digress.

Reactions: Rita

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I looked up your word, and this is the definition I found on Dictionary.com—Reproduction by budding or germination.

But, I digress.

Thou woulds't question my linguistic acumen? I say it's your source that digressed and went all technical on me, LoL.

Let's wait for someone else to cause this thread to "bud and germinate." I want some videos, LoL. This is supposed to be a music thread : )

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thou woulds't question my linguistic acumen? I say it's your source that digressed and went all technical on me, LoL.

Let's wait for someone else to cause this thread to "bud and germinate." I want some videos, LoL. This is supposed to be a music thread : )
Yea, thou waxest fair! (Not Shakespeare, lol)

I does try!! :D

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hidden In Him

here's a few... ;)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Thank you, Stranger. I remember listening to John Talbot when I was younger. Very peaceful and relaxing.
or...some instrumentals..

Went straight to Jacob's Ladder and thoroughly enjoyed it : )

Found this piece today. I love Vivaldi's stop breaks in this song, such as at 1:57+.

Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hidden In Him

I had to write a paper in college about music and the Mozart Effect was one of my subjects in it.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to write a paper in college about music and the Mozart Effect was one of my subjects in it.

I really think it's true. There is an effect that takes place within about 20 minutes of it. You become more cerebral - more mentally oriented - and as a result more kind-hearted in a way; less offended, less driven by emotional responses. You start thinking on something of a higher level.

Granted, it also wears off just as quickly, but while you're there it has an effect.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I find that I am to distracted by music with lyrics for it to be mentally simulating. Listening to this now:

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really think it's true. There is an effect that takes place within about 20 minutes of it. You become more cerebral - more mentally oriented - and as a result more kind-hearted in a way; less offended, less driven by emotional responses. You start thinking on something of a higher level.

Granted, it also wears off just as quickly, but while you're there it has an effect.
My paper was about how music is the key that opens the door to our souls....music can set our moods....create the atmosphere....stimulate our emotions...and heighten our mental awareness....and even evolve us into a deeper spiritual worship.
It was once studied which genre of music had the highest suicide rate and country and western (the classic kind) was way out front...but honestly most of their songs were sad.....
Barry Manilow wrote and sang a song that was about music...."I write the songs...I write the songs that make the whole world sing..lalalalla)