Mistake in Translation - Galatians 5:17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16-18
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Alert: Translators have capitalized the "S" in spirit, when it is talking about our mind, as in Romans 7:25, not the Holy Spirit. Those who are born again are not "in" the flesh, but in the Holy Spirit. It is one or the other, but not BOTH! This error has caused whole denominations to see themselves as sinners, and not free children of God.

See Romans 7:25

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

The mind struggles against the flesh, and the flesh against the mind's knowledge of the Law, but there is no struggle in the Spirit. For we are not in the flesh when in the Spirit, and not under the Law. That error has caused whole denominations to believe we can never be free from sin.

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

In reading Romans 7:13 we see that the law is holy, but the Old Covenant required the letter of the law to be kept in opposition to the indwelling sin nature. That is why the struggle is described in Romans 7:14-23, it is the mind/spirit against the flesh. The law was given to us because of transgressions to guard us and to show us our sin UNTIL Jesus came to take away our sin nature that produced sin and required the Law. The Laws of God's love are written on our hearts by the Holy Spirit, thus giving us life. We no longer have to keep laws we are in opposition to, requiring us to struggle. No, our new nature naturally wants to keep the laws of the Spirit of life in Christ, and we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit which has freed us from the law of sin and death.

Here is the reason why Galatians 5:17 with the capital S has always bothered me, but I couldn't figure out why.

Being born again is supernatural! Yes, it is beyond our natural reasoning. But to make us like Jesus, who is just the firstborn of MANY BRETHREN, and not the only sinless person ever, the Spirit takes away all desire to sin. And that is what it means to be born again. How can we really have the Holy Spirit and not know this? We, including the translators, should already know this from EXPERIENCE!!!

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting

Here is an edit I just made.

The mind struggles against the flesh, and the flesh against the mind's knowledge of the Law, but there is no struggle in the Spirit. For we are not in the flesh when in the Spirit, and not under the Law. That error in capitalization has caused whole denominations to believe we can never be free from sin.

Being born again is supernatural! Yes, it is beyond our natural reasoning. But to make us like Jesus, who is just the firstborn of MANY BRETHREN, and not the only sinless person ever, the Spirit takes away all desire to sin. And that is what it means to be born again. How can we really have the Holy Spirit and not know this? We, including the translators, should already know this from EXPERIENCE!!!

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16-18
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Alert: Translators have capitalized the "S" in spirit, when it is talking about our mind, as in Romans 7:25, not the Holy Spirit. Those who are born again are not "in" the flesh, but in the Holy Spirit. It is one or the other, but not BOTH! This error has caused whole denominations to see themselves as sinners, and not free children of God.

See Romans 7:25

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

The mind struggles against the flesh, and the flesh against the mind's knowledge of the Law, but there is no struggle in the Spirit. For we are not in the flesh when in the Spirit, and not under the Law. That error has caused whole denominations to believe we can never be free from sin.

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

In reading Romans 7:13 we see that the law is holy, but the Old Covenant required the letter of the law to be kept in opposition to the indwelling sin nature. That is why the struggle is described in Romans 7:14-23, it is the mind/spirit against the flesh. The law was given to us because of transgressions to guard us and to show us our sin UNTIL Jesus came to take away our sin nature that produced sin and required the Law. The Laws of God's love are written on our hearts by the Holy Spirit, thus giving us life. We no longer have to keep laws we are in opposition to, requiring us to struggle. No, our new nature naturally wants to keep the laws of the Spirit of life in Christ, and we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit which has freed us from the law of sin and death.

Here is the reason why Galatians 5:17 with the capital S has always bothered me, but I couldn't figure out why.

Actually I always read this with the correct understanding. "Walking" in the Spirit implies that your spirit is walking in and in communion with the Holy Spirit. And it is your spirit that wars against your flesh.
It would be incorrect to leave the Holy Spirit out of the verse because without the Holy Spirit, you have a dead spirit and your dead spirit does not war against the flesh, it is dead. So a non-believer only walks in his flesh. Therefore, this verse is only applicable to believers.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it is your spirit that wars against your flesh.

That is the natural assumption with the capital S. But we are NOT IN THE FLESH when in the Spirit, so there is no war, no struggle. Romans 8:9

The key living the Christian life is to STAY in the Spirit. Then you will keep growing and never stumble. 2 Peter1:2-11

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be incorrect to leave the Holy Spirit out of the verse because without the Holy Spirit, you have a dead spirit and your dead spirit does not war against the flesh, it is dead. So a non-believer only walks in his flesh. Therefore, this verse is only applicable to believers.

It is a contrast. Law vs. Spirit. It is the same contrast as Romans 7:14-25 vs. Romans 8:1-9

You are not leaving out the Spirit, because that is what makes you not under the law. Galatians 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Christians are either in the Spirit or the flesh. If the flesh you will hear "I never knew you." If you stay in the Spirit, you are assured a place in heaven. You cannot be in the flesh and Spirit at the same time so there can be no war. When you have the Spirit, the old sin nature is dead and that is nailed to the cross. But you will never know this truth because of this mistake in translation that has corrupted the gospel. It makes you believe the old man is alive at the same time as you have the Holy Spirit. The truth shall make you free. John 8:32-36

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the natural assumption with the capital S. But we are NOT IN THE FLESH when in the Spirit, so there is no war, no struggle. Romans 8:9

The key living the Christian life is to STAY in the Spirit. Then you will keep growing and never stumble. 2 Peter1:2-11
Don't know about you, I have both. Sin dwells in the members of our flesh. This was the struggle that Paul pointed out, that he does things (in the flesh) that he (in the Spirit) does not want to do therefore it is not him who does it but the sin that dwells in him.
I would agree with the key being to walk in the Spirit; sense the advice given to us not walk in the flesh.
Let's face, we return to our old ways, stumble and fall. If a person only walked in the Spirit, they would never sin again, be perfect. Are you perfect and more critically, do people who know you think you are perfect? I think even Mother Teresa or Billy Grahmm would admit they are sinners. There are exceptions though.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know about you, I have both. Sin dwells in the members of our flesh. This was the struggle that Paul pointed out, that he does things (in the flesh) that he (in the Spirit) does not want to do therefore it is not him who does it but the sin that dwells in him.
I would agree with the key being to walk in the Spirit; sense the advice given to us not walk in the flesh.
Let's face, we return to our old ways, stumble and fall. If a person only walked in the Spirit, they would never sin again, be perfect. Are you perfect and more critically, do people who know you think you are perfect? I think even Mother Teresa or Billy Grahmm would admit they are sinners. There are exceptions though.

What you just quoted as your belief is exactly what I mean, and the capital S is the reason why you believe this error. That verse in Romans 7 is BEFORE Christ. It was when all we had was the Law. Then Paul met Jesus and the Spirit freed Paul from the struggle in Romans 7. Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has FREED ME (Paul) from the law of SIN AND DEATH.

Galatians 5:17 is the same struggle as the verse you quoted in Romans 7. This was before the Holy Spirit, when all you had was your mind and the knowledge of the Law. Romans 7:25. Mind and spirit with a small s are the same thing.

To be free from sin means the sin nature, the flesh, is DEAD.

People who are trapped in this error also believe that 1 John 1:8 is talking about a Christian. What about you? Do you believe the error that 1 Jhn 1:8 is about the life of a Christian, and the doctrine of demons that we will always sin. (That Jesus failed to free us from sin).

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The question should be do you willfully sin when you don't have to? My answer is no. But before being filled with the Spirit I was literally a slave to sin.

Some on here confuse sinlessness with perfection. When you are justified, you are sin free. 1 John 1:9 has cleansed you of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. But that doesn't make us perfect. The fruit of the Spirit that you receive must grow to maturity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 are the steps to perfection.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be free from sin means the sin nature, the flesh, is DEAD.
Spiritually we are dead to sin and freed from bondage. Until our spirit becomes separate from our flesh when we die or are raptured while alive, we still ideal with sinntuat dwells in the members of our flesh. We need to be obedient, we need to love and not hate, we need to be responsible, be kind, faithful, etc. The Bible doesn't stop with our spiritual transformation. We habe not yet been fully redeemed. We habe notbrecwived new eternal, perfect bodies, we still have our old ones and we still fall into our old habits, blackslide..it is not sin into death?.butnwe still do thwnsame things that non-believers do. It is just that we arwnt slaves and practice sin. We practice our religion. When you practice anything, you make mistakes.
Many new Christians want to die to much if their old ways, but some still cling to habits that they don't want to give up or they justify their acts. We just don't all walk on tje Spirit 24/7. Spiritually maturity comes when you have conquered and mortified your old ways. Still to say you walk perfectly is deceiving yourself.
Which brings me to your next question

People who are trapped in this error also believe that 1 John 1:8 is talking about a Christian. What about you?
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
Think about it. Take it apart.
You are a Christian.
You say you have no sin.
What is the conclusion?
You deceive yourself and
The truth is not in you.

This verse applies to ANYONE who says they have no sin. Non-believers arent even aware of sin, nor is it an issue. They dismiss it. And so it certainly applies to them.
If it was only pertained to non- believers then the opposite would be true for believers.
Let's turn it around and see.
If you say you have sin, you do not deceive yourself and the truth is in you.
The truth is in me.
I am not deceived
Sin dwells in the members of my flesh (not your spirit - that has been cleansed)
Capisce?
If you think you behave perfectly, like Jesus all the time, you are deceived. Just ask people who know you.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
Think about it. Take it apart.
You are a Christian.
You say you have no sin.
What is the conclusion?
You deceive yourself and
The truth is not in you.

Let me ask you a question. Read the next verse.

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

How much sin is left? Would you really be lying if your answer was none? Think!

Another question: How many times must you repent and be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit that frees us from sin by placing God's Spirit within you causing you to be born again?

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Were those people Peter was speaking to to repent already born again? Or was this command to repent to become a Christian? Now ask yourself to go back to 1 John 1:8 and ask yourself if John was addressing a Christian, or someone who merely said they don't sin so no need to repent.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question should be do you willfully sin when you don't have to? My answer is no. But before being filled with the Spirit I was literally a slave to sin.

Some on here confuse sinlessness with perfection. When you are justified, you are sin free. 1 John 1:9 has cleansed you of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. But that doesn't make us perfect. The fruit of the Spirit that you receive must grow to maturity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 are the steps to perfection.
Yet by your own words you are not sin-free, nor have you been. Not to be out of line but this seems disengenuous to me.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse applies to ANYONE who says they have no sin. Non-believers arent even aware of sin, nor is it an issue. They dismiss it. And so it certainly applies to them.
There is a third answer, used by some . . . "some sins don't count towards whether we are sinning or not."

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin dwells in the members of our flesh.
This is the part some don't understand. The flesh is corrupt, and, until it is restored, it's all we have for our vehicle in this world. We have power over it, but don't always use that power.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you a question. Read the next verse.

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

How much sin is left? Would you be lying if your answer was none?
You aren't getting it. We have a spirit that has been cleansed, is pure, presentable to God at this moment, tomorrow or whenever you die. We still have the flesh (sarx). Sin dwells in the members if our flesh.
At this point I recommend you do a study, listen to an educated theologian that will teach you in the topic of our "dual nature", the spirit and the flesh ... unless you believe you are a detached spirit just floating around?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the part some don't understand. The flesh is corrupt, and, until it is restored, it's all we have for our vehicle in this world. We have power over it, but don't always use that power.

Much love!
Who we love is whose we are and whose we are are whose we follow .
The approach towards sin , MUST be dire and it must be grave .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me give us some reminders .
When sin or error was spotted , How did paul approach it .
How did james , how did JESUS , how did the others .
Their approach to sin was , GO and sin no more .
How JESUS did tell the lady she was not accused by HIM , YET told her NOW GO and SIN NO MORE .
And what else did HE say to others . NOW go and sin no more lest something even WORSE come upon you .
Paul said let it not once be named . AND to those who had sinned and had not repented , HE was gonna bring a rod of correction .
Be assured that rod was not gonna contain things they liked .
We must double down and buckle up with the reminders in that bible .
Let it not once be named . IF any does err correct them . Confess you faults and pray that ye might be healed .

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You aren't getting it. We have a spirit that has been cleansed, is pure, presentable to God at this moment, tomorrow or whenever you die. We still have the flesh (sarx). Sin dwells in the members if our flesh.
At this point I recommend you do a study, listen to an educated theologian that will teach you in the topic of our "dual nature", the spirit and the flesh ... unless you believe you are a detached spirit just floating around?

You are not answering the questions. Read them again and be honest with yourself.

To help you though, the spirit and mind are the same thing. It has been reborn. Before being reborn our mind struggled against the flesh, and the flesh against the mind. The soul is our heart. It has also been reborn. Those two are what makes up our nature that sins. They are reborn freeing us of sin. The body is just a shell guided by the mind and heart. You won't hear this truth in your denomination.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Good point, it's this tent or vehicle we get around in. The physical body is dying and will, but the soul (mind, will and emotions) is also corrupt.
This is going to open up another can of worms. The soul and spirit are not the same. They are highly integrated along with our bodies.
We are partly a cleansed spirit that communes with God in a special compartment within us, likened to the Old Temple -Most Holy Place. This place is without sin, it has to be, God dwells there. The outer courtyard of our Temple however is the soul of man, our flesh, where sin dwells.
Actually the physical Old Temple is a model of our new spiritual temple.
The Word is sharper than a two-edged sword ... able to divide soul and spirit.

Last edited: