Mistakes We Make in Dialogue, Both Sides

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
In debating on forums (especially in apologetic's) as a Christian and now as an atheist here is a list of things that I have learned about the mistakes we make while dialoguing with others.

Mistakes both sides make:

1. Ignoring questions. Sometimes we ignore questions because we lose track or just forget to answer or we intend to research some more and then forget to answer. These are reasonable and when it is brought to your attention that you have ignored a question you need to address it at that time. Ignoring a question because you don't have an answer is a mistake and not fair to the other person. Remember saying "I Don't Know" is a valid answer to a question.

2. Labeling another person. When you label a person with certain beliefs that they do not have, that is a mistake. People tend to want to label others with a label they can easily dismiss even though the person does not label themselves or hold all the beliefs of that group of people. An example is someone is against the death penalty and someone else labels them a liberal when they hold mostly conservative beliefs. It is best to disregard labels and find out what the person you are having a conversation with believes.

3. Not admitting when you are wrong. I think this is self explanatory.

4. Not understanding the burden of proof for a claim. When a person makes a claim it is up to them to provide supporting evidence. You should not expect the other person to go find the evidence for your claim, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. I see this on both sides that someone makes a claim and expect the other to find the evidence for it, then when they don't they claim victory. That is a mistake.

5. One logical fallacy that happens a lot is the straw man argument. Where you misrepresent the other persons argument and then refute that instead of the actual argument the person is making. Of course it is good to know other fallacies but this is a common one committed.

There are more, but I think these are the ones I see others and myself commit most often. Any others?

Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In debating on forums (especially in apologetic's) as a Christian and now as an atheist here is a list of things that I have learned about the mistakes we make while dialoguing with others.

Mistakes both sides make:

1. Ignoring questions. Sometimes we ignore questions because we lose track or just forget to answer or we intend to research some more and then forget to answer. These are reasonable and when it is brought to your attention that you have ignored a question you need to address it at that time. Ignoring a question because you don't have an answer is a mistake and not fair to the other person. Remember saying "I Don't Know" is a valid answer to a question.

Some post general questions, to noone specific.
Some post questions to specific people, and would agree MANY refuse to answer, or give an answer that has nothing to do with answering the question.

2. Labeling another person. When you label a person with certain beliefs that they do not have, that is a mistake. People tend to want to label others with a label they can easily dismiss even though the person does not label themselves or hold all the beliefs of that group of people. An example is someone is against the death penalty and someone else labels them a liberal when they hold mostly conservative beliefs. It is best to disregard labels and find out what the person you are having a conversation with believes.

Agree. Quite a few people are quite impressed with themselves to take on the authority to LABEL other People, that such People themselves have NEVER DECLARED the Label Applicable to themselves.

3. Not admitting when you are wrong. I think this is self explanatory.

I would say, People who make their own declarations of Belief, obviously do not believe they are wrong.

And quite a few; AVOID quoting others; INSTEAD change the comment of an other; then want the other to DEFEND themselves, Against the made up crap the other person has said, FOR THEM.

4. Not understanding the burden of proof for a claim. When a person makes a claim it is up to them to provide supporting evidence. You should not expect the other person to go find the evidence for your claim, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. I see this on both sides that someone makes a claim and expect the other to find the evidence for it, then when they don't they claim victory. That is a mistake.

NOONE has to PROVE What they declare to Believe.

5. One logical fallacy that happens a lot is the straw man argument. Where you misrepresent the other persons argument and then refute that instead of the actual argument the person is making. Of course it is good to know other fallacies but this is a common one committed.

Yep.

Reactions: Nancy

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most common failure is pretending to know something when you don't. Second most common is clinging to a cherished belief just because you already believe it. And always we have the failure of human logic, thinking something is proved just because you prefer to believe it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most common failure is pretending to know something when you don't. Second most common is clinging to a cherished belief just because you already believe it. And always we have the failure of human logic, thinking something is proved just because you prefer to believe it.

"The most common failure is pretending to know something when you don't."
Lot's of pretentious folks out there, feeling the need to be recognized/acknowledged or respected perhaps. Or, maybe some just don't want to admit to ignorance concerning certain things? Either way, it's the sin of pride imo.

"Second most common is clinging to a cherished belief just because you already believe it."

Well, that's just stick your head in the sand dumb!

"And always we have the failure of human logic, thinking something is proved just because you prefer to believe it."

And that's not just stubborn and stupid but dangerous I think, because it comes too close to creating ones own God.
It's like the "second most common"
too as, both of these reasons could be the result of one being purposely, intellectually dishonest...

Reactions: aspen

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is how you deal with the atheist..... we start with God we don't add God

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me that talking about God as a means to an end is the problem. Ideally, God is a great topic to bring up as the fuel for your close relationship with your atheist friend.

Last edited:

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This is how you deal with the atheist..... we start with God we don't add God
I can't see the Apostle Paul using that approach. I believe he would simply give them the Gospel without frustrating the daylights out of them. Also, the God that he refers to is "Jesus". So while he claims that Scripture is his authority, he denies Scripture by claiming someone other than Yeshua's Father, Almighty YHWH, is God. His authority is church tradition, not Scripture.