Mother of Jesus - General References - Characteristics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello these are the general reference and characteristic of the Mother of Jesus, found in scripture.

(Matthew 1:16) In Matthews Gospel you see how Jacob begat Joesph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

(Matthew 2:11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures they presented him gifts: gold, and frank-incense, and myrrh.

(Matthew 12:46) While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers told without, desiring to speak with him.

(Matthew 13:55) It this not the carpenters son? Is not his mother Mary? and his brethren, James and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

(Luke 1:27) To a virgin espoused to a man whose name is Joseph, of the house of David,: and the virgins name as Mary.

(Luke 1:38) And Mary said, behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.

(Luke 1:46) And my soul does magnify the Lord.

(Luke 1:48) For He had regarded the low estate of his handmaiden; for behold, from hence forth all generations shall call me blessed.

(John 2:1) And the third day there was a marriage in Canna of Galilee and the mother of Jesus was there.

(John 2:12) After this he went down to Capernaum, he and his mother, and brethren, and his disciples and they continued there not many days

(John 19:25) Now stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mothers sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdelen.

Mother of Jesus - Characteristics

Submission

(Luke 1:38) And Mary said, behold the handmaiden of the Lord; but unto me according to thy word, and the angel departed from there.

Faithful and piety

(Luke 1:46) And my soul did magnify the Lord and my spirit had rejoiced in God my saviour

Maternal confidence

(John 2:3-5) And when they wanted win, the mother of Jesus saith unto him they have no wine. Jesus saith unto her "woman what have I dot do with the mine hour has not come. Hi mother saith to the servant, whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

Maternal Love

(John 19:25) Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mothers sister, Mary the wife of Cleo-has, and Mary Magdalen.

In Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with our understanding of Jesus' mother is an entire extrabiblical tradition surrounding her from the Catholic Church. I don't know if the Orthodox church shares the same traditions, but I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and heard at least some of their very elaborate doctrines about her as "the mother of God" with some even calling her the queen of heaven. Even the practice of "praying the rosary" includes prayer to Mary to intercede on behalf of sinners:
"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for our sinners now and and at the hour of our death. Amen"

While I believe that the saints do indeed intercede for people through prayer as a holy priesthood, the unbiblical doctrines surrounding Mary lead to the controversy in that church over elevating her "status" to that of "coredemptrix " with God Himself. If this doctrine isn't a direct appeal to our nature according to the flesh, I don't know what is. Furthermore, I see no possible reconciliation of this doctrine to biblically based Christianity.

The Roman Catholic Church fully recognizes extrabiblical Revelation and this is the very reason the reformers postulated the 5 Solas as the basis of faith. I'm convinced that the more recent papal recognition of concepts like biological evolution and "science" in contradiction to scripture is an attempt to maintain papal authority through "the vicar of Christ" as the sole interpreter of scripture and highest "authority" in the church.

Satan started attacking the word of God in the garden of Eden. This is still his strongest attack on faith, because faith comes by hearing the word of God.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mary was a sinner like the rest of the human race, and needed The Saviour for her sins

And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,”
Luke 1:46-47

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your comment, by grace through faith, yes Mary was a sinner just like everyone else. She would sacrifice to God to have her sins covered. Like they did back in that age before Jesus became the living sacrifice, for all sin for all people. Now we become a living sacrifice for the sake of Jesus in prayer and relationship to God.