Multitasking or Living Better

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
multitasking.jpg

Multitasking was a word I first heard with Windows OS. When I was young and the computers weren't so popular, I often heard people say something like this - "Do one task and do it properly" or "Jack of all trades and masters of none" These days it seems to have become quite opposite. People must have ability to multitask in their professional life. What about personal lives? We don't have time for everything in a day! Even a person staying at home can get stressed out at the end of the day. We see people like mothers who have little kids multitasking with work at home or people speaking on mobile while shopping or driving or even crossing the road! Multitasking is being used even outside a computer!

It is said that Human Brain is not naturally capable of multitasking. In case we attempt to perform more than one task at a time, then we end up taking more time to complete them and it is more probable to commit errors.

So how can we manage our lives better when we have many tasks in a day?

Ecclesiastes 3
1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

God has kept time for everything in the creation. For example, summer and winter do not happen at the same time. So I suppose God has not given us multitasking and it was we who are bringing it on ourselves!

I think multitasking should be limited only to machines. Sometimes I involve in two tasks for one work. If I have to clean our house, I would switch on music, because it helps cleaning. I think we need to multitask, not to run with time or try to run ahead of time, instead to do a work better!

Any ideas? Let's live better!:)

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard women are better at multitasking than men, which is why you see pictures of them cooking, holding the baby while talking on the phone. Now guys tend to focus on one thing at a time which is how I like to operate. I can do what appears to be multitasking in what I call "time sharing". If I'm waiting for that pot to come to a boil before I add the noodles, there's a segment of time in which I ask myself what can I fit into such a slot while awaiting the boiling water? Like fitting puzzle pieces together. Unlike multitasking, if your slot of time exceeds what it should be, then something else runs over, such as that boiling pot. So one has to have a good concept of time, which I have. I don't like to operate this way, but where I work they expect multitasking to get everything done in a timely manner. If one does not do that, then certain computer fields, for example, don't get filled out right or at all. While I have no major trouble there, it's running full speed for 12 hours which is why I basically hate my job (but at almost age 60, where else can I go?).

From a biblical perspective, the Lord expects us to do His work, which is not in the business of competition. It's work, but last I read, everyone has their gifts which you use. That doesn't mean some days can't seem busy, like multitasking, but can seem that way. I think multitasking is a worldly concept based in overwork, disdain for concepts like the Sabbath, and pushing for profit. And like you said, its interesting one did not hear of that concept until Windows. That's the biggest junk operating system out there that prides itself on such concepts, but just look at all the problems it has. It's best to stay focused, not have "100 windows" popped up all over the place like a crazed, aimless person.

Reactions: prashanthd

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
I heard women are better at multitasking than men, which is why you see pictures of them cooking, holding the baby while talking on the phone. Now guys tend to focus on one thing at a time which is how I like to operate. I can do what appears to be multitasking in what I call "time sharing". If I'm waiting for that pot to come to a boil before I add the noodles, there's a segment of time in which I ask myself what can I fit into such a slot while awaiting the boiling water? Like fitting puzzle pieces together. Unlike multitasking, if your slot of time exceeds what it should be, then something else runs over, such as that boiling pot. So one has to have a good concept of time, which I have. I don't like to operate this way, but where I work they expect multitasking to get everything done in a timely manner. If one does not do that, then certain computer fields, for example, don't get filled out right or at all. While I have no major trouble there, it's running full speed for 12 hours which is why I basically hate my job (but at almost age 60, where else can I go?).

From a biblical perspective, the Lord expects us to do His work, which is not in the business of competition. It's work, but last I read, everyone has their gifts which you use. That doesn't mean some days can't seem busy, like multitasking, but can seem that way. I think multitasking is a worldly concept based in overwork, disdain for concepts like the Sabbath, and pushing for profit. And like you said, its interesting one did not hear of that concept until Windows. That's the biggest junk operating system out there that prides itself on such concepts, but just look at all the problems it has. It's best to stay focused, not have "100 windows" popped up all over the place like a crazed, aimless person.

Perhaps that's true, women are better at multitasking than men, and also it is women who are under stress most of the time.(I think so, might not be correct)

Over the years a lot of multitasking has crept into my life. I tend to keep my computer running even when doing some other work and keep looking into it taking quick breaks. I keep looking into my computer even while having lunch and dinner. I used my computer for news, mails, music and everything similar. And this year I started suffering from migraines! A few hours with my computer and some tingling sensation starts in my head and it develops headache. So I started thinking seriously how much time I was spending with my computer. Then I started using computer mostly for professional work.

There was a thread by @"ByGrace" on multitasking a few months back in this forum, I read it recently and started thinking again about "multitasking and stress" in my life. I was able to avoid a few more multitasking, for better. I too had a time slot while boiling milk, these days instead of waiting, I've started boiling at a higher temperature, making the waiting time almost negligible.:)

After multitasking, the industry has been inventing various technologies like high availability and continuous deployment. I agree as long as they are meant for machines. Then I started getting worried when I heard words like 'continuous learning' and availability after work whenever necessary for a client! I'm afraid they might come up with 'multilearning' in a few years! :D

When I read Ecc 3, I understand that God created work in this world as a repeating sequence. The sun comes up and goes down regularly, similarly seasons and perhaps everything else too. And Man is supposed to work along with this repeating cycle - one at a time or one after the other and not all at once or continuous. So from last two months, I've avoided such multitasking or continuous work in my personal life and seen better results. I'll save such skills for work place.

I think we can give glory to God if we can live the way God wants us to. And God is merciful, He doesn't think we are machines!

All glory to God.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i thought i was getting you until i read this

but i think i agree :)

I was happy when I first read that it was bad for the brain.
So I can now feel no shame in just doing one thing at a time and not trying to get more done by multitasking.
My old mother used to say " More haste = less speed" ( meaning more mistakes are made that way.
I am now guilt free ha!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep wondering how I did all that I did , back then !!!?
Now in old age I am way different, one thing at a time ........ if not I forget what the other
thing was....... When you have children and have to take care of a house, and some
women even work .......... But it works for some of us. I'll never figure how I did
it all. But then again my husband was a very good man, so I have to say because of
him I was able !!!!! :)

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy when I first read that it was bad for the brain.
So I can now feel no shame in just doing one thing at a time and not trying to get more done by multitasking.
My old mother used to say " More haste = less speed" ( meaning more mistakes are made that way.
I am now guilt free ha!

Us ol' Pa Dutchmen had the dangers of multitasking covered a long time ago. We said, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!" :D

Reactions: Helen