Musings on meditation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you feel meditation is an Eastern Religion hang-up, this is no thread for you. These are but a few thoughts Richard Foster gave on Christian meditation.

A beautiful kind of contemplative prayer is meditation upon the creation. Now, this is no infantile pantheism, but a majestic monotheism in which the great Creator of the universe shows us something of his glory through his creation. The heavens do indeed declare the glory of God and the firmament does show forth his handiwork (Ps. 19:1). Evelyn Underhill recommends, “…begin with that first form of contemplation which the old mystics sometimes called ‘the discovery of God in his creatures!’”

So, give your attention to the created order. Look at the trees, really look at them. Take a flower and allow its beauty and symmetry to sink deep into your mind and heart. Listen to the birds — they are the messengers of God. Watch the little creatures that creep upon the earth. These are humble acts, to be sure, but sometimes God reaches us profoundly in these simple ways if we will quiet ourselves to listen.

There is a another form of meditation that is in some ways quite the opposite of the one just given. It is to meditate upon the events of our time and to seek to perceive their significance.

We have a spiritual obligation to penetrate the inner meaning of events, not to gain power but to gain prophetic perspective. Thomas Merton writes that the person “…who has meditated on the Passion of Christ but has not meditated on the extermination camps of Dachau and Auschwitz has not yet fully entered into the experience of Christianity in our time.”

This form of meditation could be accomplished with the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other! You must not, however, be controlled by the absurd political clichés and propaganda fed us today. Actually, newspapers are generally far too shallow and slanted to be of much help. We would do well to hold the events of our time before God and ask for prophetic insight to discern where these things lead. Further, we should ask for guidance for anything we personally should be doing to be salt and light in our decaying and dark world.

Do you ever meditate on anything? If so, what, and why, and how?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, but not enough. My mind gets too busy ..I am not as disciplined as I used to be :oops:

The Lord clearly tells us to meditate ..
Paul tells us to meditate "on these things " ..Phil 4.8

Joshua 1 8
" This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. "

One of my favourite verses is in Psalms:-

" I have set the Lord always before my face, The Lord is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. "

This is almost the same as "pray without ceasing" ...whenever our minds are not required for daily tasks...we can let our spiritual "compass " swing back to our "Magnetic North".

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Walterbl

Aug 10, 2018
Goslar
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Is hard for me to meditate, my head never shuts up. But when I am able to do it I find that it has very good mental-resting effect, almost like a short nap.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you feel meditation is an Eastern Religion hang-up, this is no thread for you. These are but a few thoughts Richard Foster gave on Christian meditation.

A beautiful kind of contemplative prayer is meditation upon the creation. Now, this is no infantile pantheism, but a majestic monotheism in which the great Creator of the universe shows us something of his glory through his creation. The heavens do indeed declare the glory of God and the firmament does show forth his handiwork (Ps. 19:1). Evelyn Underhill recommends, “…begin with that first form of contemplation which the old mystics sometimes called ‘the discovery of God in his creatures!’”

So, give your attention to the created order. Look at the trees, really look at them. Take a flower and allow its beauty and symmetry to sink deep into your mind and heart. Listen to the birds — they are the messengers of God. Watch the little creatures that creep upon the earth. These are humble acts, to be sure, but sometimes God reaches us profoundly in these simple ways if we will quiet ourselves to listen.

There is a another form of meditation that is in some ways quite the opposite of the one just given. It is to meditate upon the events of our time and to seek to perceive their significance.

We have a spiritual obligation to penetrate the inner meaning of events, not to gain power but to gain prophetic perspective. Thomas Merton writes that the person “…who has meditated on the Passion of Christ but has not meditated on the extermination camps of Dachau and Auschwitz has not yet fully entered into the experience of Christianity in our time.”

This form of meditation could be accomplished with the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other! You must not, however, be controlled by the absurd political clichés and propaganda fed us today. Actually, newspapers are generally far too shallow and slanted to be of much help. We would do well to hold the events of our time before God and ask for prophetic insight to discern where these things lead. Further, we should ask for guidance for anything we personally should be doing to be salt and light in our decaying and dark world.

In my younger days, when troubled I would just sit at the edge of the Bay, and watch the waves, very calming.
After receiving the Gift of Salvation all of Creation became very Pleasing to me, the sights, the sounds, the smells, kinda like a warm blanket, God all around you! And the closer you look the more you realize God IS !
I would say that I do more Contemplating then Meditating, if there is a difference?
I know that Mary Pondered the events she witnessed, about Jesus, is that the same?

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my younger days, when troubled I would just sit at the edge of the Bay, and watch the waves, very calming.
After receiving the Gift of Salvation all of Creation became very Pleasing to me, the sights, the sounds, the smells, kinda like a warm blanket, God all around you! And the closer you look the more you realize God IS !
I would say that I do more Contemplating then Meditating, if there is a difference?
I know that Mary Pondered the events she witnessed, about Jesus, is that the same?
The "Mary" reference is also one of the things Foster brought up.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I remember when I was young in California and most of the beaches were always complete empty. It was easy to relax while watching the water move. When I went to visit my mother in Oregon the last time before her death I found a similar restful possibility on the beach there. In Oklahoma I have had to find another alternative.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now my meditation is usually done in the morning during my prayer and reading of scripture time. I will focus on one word or short phrase often in the Book of Psalms. Other times I will simply look up from my book and think on something of God, or of this forum, or of some other thing, or as one said here already, of nothing. Those times to me make it possible to continue when things are very difficult, which happens once in a while. God fixes it and I move into my day.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have no problem with meditation that is directed towards God and His Word. I do have a problem with meditation that centers on the creation as creation then becomes a god. Animism. Christian meditation is far different than your eastern meditation. Christian meditation is always centered on the Word of God.

(Joshua 1:8) "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:...."

(Ps. 1:1-2) "Blessed is the man....But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."

(Philipians 4:8) "...whatsoever things are true, ...honest...just...pure...lovely...are of good report...think on these things."

Meditation on the events of our time does nothing for the believer.

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with meditation that is directed towards God and His Word. I do have a problem with meditation that centers on the creation as creation then becomes a god. Animism. Christian meditation is far different than your eastern meditation. Christian meditation is always centered on the Word of God.

(Joshua 1:8) "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:...."

(Ps. 1:1-2) "Blessed is the man....But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."

(Philipians 4:8) "...whatsoever things are true, ...honest...just...pure...lovely...are of good report...think on these things."

Stranger
In some ways, a sadly narrow view of God, but if it is the best you can do at this time, it certainly is a start in the right direction.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agreed. God has already told us that "the whole world lieth in wickedness". And Christ has already told us in the Olivet Discourse as to how events will progress until the Second Coming of Christ.

Meditation according to Scripture is to focus on what is written in the Word of God and then to ACT upon it. "Be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves". (James 1:22-25).

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some ways, a sadly narrow view of God, but if it is the best you can do at this time, it certainly is a start in the right direction.

I seem to be drawn to the Lake, as well as wooded areas that no matter where you look, you see God. His creation is for us to enjoy and I am amazed at it every time. The only things that could break my concentration (if I allow them to) on God are, man made stuff like, telephone poles, cement, buildings...So, it seems these places gets me in the right frame of mind. I do especially love the lake front here as where I go, there is nothing but horizon...have had trouble concentrating so, these places do help.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes-- meditating as in to pray, ponder, consider, and dwell on things in a contemplative manner. In fact I consider such to be essential for my functioning as an individual. It's... my personal reflection time. Subject range all over the place, and the where is wherever I happen to be (though good places include bed and driving).

zipzaddle

Aug 11, 2018
Västmanland County / Västerås
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Yes meditation seems as important as studying the word of God.
What? pray then mediate on the answer, on peace within, strength within and/or God's guidance on future happenings unknown
Why? Prophets meditated constantly and received answers, Jesus did [in ministry He was healing and woman touched His garment He said 'who touched me? I felt the power leave me' then after ministry said 'I must go and pray and replenish myself' ], believe I have to meditate to function as a Christian in this world, I believe the spirit lives in another realm and as much time it can spend there seems the more at peace my soul can be
How? quiet place, focus on God, conversant (in my spirit) with Jesus, think of good, peaceful, comforting thoughts, tell myself all is well, all is positive, nothing to worry about, things are going well and things will be good, look to the future of "no more suffering", all positive and rid myself of negative thoughts

Distraction is the enemy of focus and double minded is the enemy of wisdom and negativity is enemy of peace.