Musos Corner "modes?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Episkopos @Hidden In Him @Truman the Levite
And @ anyone else who plays an instrument professionally, amateurly or just for fun

Here's a thread for music modes, which ones have you played with, experimented with or messed around with?

There's the 7 modes, Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian, Phyrgian and Locrian.

With Ionian being the normal Major scale and Aeolian being the normal minor scale.

But but then I found these, as I was exploring for some other modes, and I found Persian scales

Persian scale - Wikipedia

They have their own variations of modes which can be found on that page.

And of course there are some other modes from other cultures, or even ancient times.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Josho.... I think both Hidden in Him and Truman have been missing in action for quite some time...
AT least since I came back about 6 weeks ago.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'll throw in ORKNEY tuning ???? I have NO idea what that means... but I have watched some banjo and guitar videos on it.
The man who exposed Ravi Zacharias plays a mean guitar... he introduced me to his music videos...

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'll throw in ORKNEY tuning ???? I have NO idea what that means... but I have watched some banjo and guitar videos on it.
The man who exposed Ravi Zacharias plays a mean guitar... he introduced me to his music videos...

Wow I will have to look up orkney tuning lol

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Haha.... it changes the normal octave range... it messes with the normal guitar tuning of the strings.
That is all I know... lol

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Jay Ross

I think I recall you mentioning about manufacturing guitars in the past or selling them? So you probably play?

Do you have any unique modes you like using?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho Did you look up Orkney??

Yeah I had a little look, it's interesting, I did not find orkney tuning for banjo though. With the 5 string banjo I would have to minus a string to try to copy the guitars orkney tuning lol.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah... I think you are right... it seems to be for guitar....

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos @Hidden In Him @Truman the Levite
And @ anyone else who plays an instrument professionally, amateurly or just for fun

Here's a thread for music modes, which ones have you played with, experimented with or messed around with?

There's the 7 modes, Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian, Phyrgian and Locrian.

With Ionian being the normal Major scale and Aeolian being the normal minor scale.

But but then I found these, as I was exploring for some other modes, and I found Persian scales

Persian scale - Wikipedia

They have their own variations of modes which can be found on that page.

And of course there are some other modes from other cultures, or even ancient times.

The church modes are indeed foundational. They are the basis for everything else. In jazz we add in the altered scale (melodic minor) with its own version of modal flavours. This scale adds spice to the dominant chords by adding in more tension (flat or sharp 9, and/or flat or sharp 5).

Then there is the augmented (really only two scales since they are all in whole steps) and diminished 7.

Another alteration is by adding in a passing tone to the existing modes (or even arpeggios) that makes you land on the downbeat as with the bebop scales. (In the major scale that would be adding in the flat 6) A bebop scale is meant to be played with a duple feel...like tada tada tada tada (accented on the second syllable). ;) (play a major scale using eight notes and you will see that you end up on an upbeat, since there are only 7 diatonic notes in a church mode scale, which isn't useful unless you are playing in 7)

In the end its how it sounds that counts. There are basic rules that do work. But these rules don't take away the need for inspiration on the part of the player. Like the distinction between knowing the Bible and living rightly! :)

Reactions: amadeus and Josho

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
HA.... and one day... I realized I had a right leg as well... lol

This guy is good.

Reactions: Josho