'My kind of church'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know why Jesus said this?
"The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Matt 8:20

What I believe is that Jesus is, or is to be, the Head of the whole Body of Christ. He was speaking about that. Now the Head is ready... that is Jesus is ready, but his words speak of his Body [you and me and all the rest who are to be] were/are not ready. As we connect with the Head via the Holy Spirit, we are growing, getting ready to be our prepared part [made without hands] of the Body of Christ. People who do not hear from the Head are then where?

Consider the coordination of the natural body of a healthy man of flesh. A piano player or a ditch digger learns to use both hands for the best result... but the coordination requires a connection to and subordination to the head/brain. The Body of Christ is to be like that, but much more complex. We can only see what God has shown or is showing us about as we connect with Him and perhaps as we read our Bibles being led by the Holy Spirit.

When Jesus was walking planet Earth as a man, he certainly had no place [no Body] to lay his head [He being the Head] because the Way was not yet open for the parts of the Body to be formed and connected and brought together is subjection. Jesus and the Holy Spirit have made all of the possible. But you and me and all the rest who are to be] need to be completely ready. We cannot get ourselves ready alone. God can and will do it, but we must open the way for Him and keep it open until the work in us is finished. Anyone who does not allow God will simply Not be a part.
"For the body is not one member, but many." I Cor 12:14

"But now are they many members, yet but one body." I Cor 12:20

"That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another." I Cor 12:25

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." Eph 4:15-16

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence." Col 1:18

"And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all." I Cor 15:28

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."
Foxes are known for their stealth and for hoarding food. Birds, for stealing the seeds (Matthew 13:4) as well as the produce of farmers. The first is a symbol of covetousness (Luke 16:14) and the latter of vainglory (Mark 12:38-40), which wastes the fruit of our spiritual labors. It’s likely that the scribe approached Christ in order to take advantage of His popularity for his personal gain. What Christ told him can be read: “the demons of greed and vanity have made their nest in your soul and therefore I find no place of rest in you.”

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Foxes are known for their stealth and for hoarding food. Birds, for stealing the seeds (Matthew 13:4) as well as the produce of farmers. The first is a symbol of covetousness (Luke 16:14) and the latter of vainglory (Mark 12:38-40), which wastes the fruit of our spiritual labors. It’s likely that the scribe approached Christ in order to take advantage of His popularity for his personal gain. What Christ told him can be read: “the demons of greed and vanity have made their nest in your soul and therefore I find no place of rest in you.”
Have to admit that is a nice bit of interpretation of scripture that is wishful thinking.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have to admit that is a nice bit of interpretation of scripture that is wishful thinking.
Very well. Show me the correct way of weaving (interpreting) it. I will accept anything you say without arguing. Anything to crush the pride of my heart and make more room for Christ to lay His head there is welcome (Isaiah 66:1-2).

Quote:
One day, Pachomius came to Tabennisi and sat down to weave mats as he usually did. A young brother came and told him: “Father, we no longer weave like that any more. Our Father Theodore told us to do it this way.” Pachomius immediately stood up and said: “Very well. Come and sit down and show me.” The young brother showed him. Pachomius did not scold the young monk for speaking out of turn but set to work and did as he was told. - Pachomian Koinonia, Vol 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and amadeus

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Matt 8:20
He often had no place to sleep. (see Keith Green's song - Jesus knocked on the door, and we left Him outside in the rain)

Same happened to the Apostles , as Jesus said it would >
1 Corinthians 4:9-13

“For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are prudent in Christ;

we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but

we are without honor.

To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty,

and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated,

and are homeless;

and we toil, working with our own hands;

when we are reviled, we bless;

when we are persecuted, we endure <not fight back>;

when we are slandered, we try to conciliate;

we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now.” NASB

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He often had no place to sleep. (see Keith Green's song - Jesus knocked on the door, and we left Him outside in the rain)

Same happened to the Apostles , as Jesus said it would >
1 Corinthians 4:9-13

“For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are prudent in Christ;

we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but

we are without honor.

To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty,

and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated,

and are homeless;

and we toil, working with our own hands;

when we are reviled, we bless;

when we are persecuted, we endure <not fight back>;

when we are slandered, we try to conciliate;

we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now.” NASB

LOVE me some Keith and, what a tragic story, his.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I have taken a particular interest in this verse and have delved into its meaning. One has to know the background to understand it.

Like the NTC, Jesus was confronted with opposition from various quarters. Of course, Rome was a challenge as they did not like anyone who might be a threat to their dominance and rule so he was under threat from that quarter especially as the Zealots were stirring things up again Rome and Jesus was linked to them in some cases.

In addition, Herod Antipas felt threatened by Jesus because he was reported to be setting up his own kingdom. This would be a threat to Herod's power so he was out to get Jesus because in his eyes that was treason.

Jesus' disciples, who could see that he was in danger in Herod's territory, encouraged him to preach on the beach so that if Herod's soldiers were coming he could cast off and go to the other side of the lake/sea out of danger because the other side was not in Herod's domain.

Apparently he was a fugitive from Herod on a continuing basis so as the scripture said, he had nowhere to lay his head or in modern-day parlance, he had nowhere he could safely sleep. There was no spiritual significance to it. Just plain practical matters of survival.

Those that want to push the poverty barrow, has been subscribed to because of the comment that he had nowhere to sleep, not because he was poor but for the simple reason, he was being pursued from place to place by Herod's officers. Nothing more and nothing less.

Neither was he rich as some claim because he was a guest at rich men's tables. His attitude to belongings and riches is summed up in the Lord's prayer which says "give us this day tomorrow's bread..." That was all you needed to worry about. If you had food for today and tomorrow, that was sufficient.

Give us this day our daily bread is a misinterpretation of the Lord's prayer.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have taken a particular interest in this verse and have delved into its meaning. One has to know the background to understand it...
Excellent! Thank you!

Quote:
If a passage of scripture should come up in your conversation, then the one who [thinks he]* knows the passage and understands it should do his best to humble his own will before his brother, in order to give him rest in gladness. For the greatest teaching is this, to humble oneself before your brother (Philippians 2:3). - Abba Isaiah
______
* Not in the original text, but applicable to me. :)

Last edited: