Mysticism & Magic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was motivated to start this thread from another where a poster wrote about baptism as though it were some kind of mystic or magical thing. For the record, I reject mysticism and magic but to realize that with heavenly beings, we deal with supernatural powers.

Do Catholics think there is some kind of Mysticism & Magic with all the sacraments? Do other denominations? Take the Eucharist, for example, and transubstantiation. Most protestants take it as symbolic, not actual cannibalism.

Another symbolic expression from marriage is the mystery of how life begins, the mystery of how 2 become one flesh. Sure, with technology we understand the science of it more today but understanding a miracle does not make it less miraculous.

My question is how much mysticism do you embrace in your spiritual journey?

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the ""Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"". Think!!! Why would Jesus say == in the name of the ""Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit""===three but one!!!!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the ""Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"". Think!!! Why would Jesus say == in the name of the ""Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit""===three but one!!!!

Not sure. And I'm not sure how this is mystical or magical to you. Also, I have no idea how you draw 3 = 1 from that sentence.

If Jesus said baptize in the name of Moe, Larry and Curly, would that be mystical or magical to you?

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:15-17 Yes!! Jesus IS God!! ===
Jesus 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Yes!! Jesus IS God!!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was motivated to start this thread from another where a poster wrote about baptism as though it were some kind of mystic or magical thing. For the record, I reject mysticism and magic but to realize that with heavenly beings, we deal with supernatural powers.

Do Catholics think there is some kind of Mysticism & Magic with all the sacraments? Do other denominations? Take the Eucharist, for example, and transubstantiation. Most protestants take it as symbolic, not actual cannibalism.

Another symbolic expression from marriage is the mystery of how life begins, the mystery of how 2 become one flesh. Sure, with technology we understand the science of it more today but understanding a miracle does not make it less miraculous.

My question is how much mysticism do you embrace in your spiritual journey?
Being born again of the Holy Spirit and becoming One with Christ as He is One with the father, is by definition, mysticism.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure. And I'm not sure how this is mystical or magical to you. Also, I have no idea how you draw 3 = 1 from that sentence.

If Jesus said baptize in the name of Moe, Larry and Curly, would that be mystical or magical to you?
Just as two are one so too are there Three who are One.

next…..