Narcissism and estrangement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marihart

May 19, 2022
Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's so much information about narcissism in the last ten years or so. Some psychologists have called it an epidemic. If you have encountered these people, you know that nothing you do can make it better. There is no appeasing these people. If you're kind, they run over you. If you try to defend yourself against their cruelty, they flip it around and say that you're at fault. Literally the only thing you can do is to avoid them. Except now people are starting to go "no contact" with family for petty reasons, like disagreeing on politics or being ashamed their parents are not very successful in life. The amount of people idolizing Gypsy Rose for killing her mother instead of running away etc is kind of telling. First came divorce, now children and parents are separating. I've came across the line of thinking that children are owed everything because they didn't ask to be born yet they don't owe their parents any type of relationship or connection. It's all completely backwards from how things use to be: that family was the most important thing, wanting to be there for your parents because they raised you etc. I know things weren't perfect in the past but I don't see how society can survive being this ruthless literally everyone for themselves. If the next generation doesn't have kids how will their be cousins, aunt's etc. I'm sure they will create some AI bots to try and "solve"the problem. Anything but get to the root of the problem. Even in the nineties families had get togethers not many do anymore. Virtually no one takes care of their elderly. Yet everyone fake cares so much about social justice or brags about loving dogs more than humans, and that people need to go extinct so that nature can thrive. It used to not be like this

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There's so much information about narcissism in the last ten years or so. Some psychologists have called it an epidemic. If you have encountered these people, you know that nothing you do can make it better. There is no appeasing these people. If you're kind, they run over you. If you try to defend yourself against their cruelty, they flip it around and say that you're at fault. Literally the only thing you can do is to avoid them. Except now people are starting to go "no contact" with family for petty reasons, like disagreeing on politics or being ashamed their parents are not very successful in life. The amount of people idolizing Gypsy Rose for killing her mother instead of running away etc is kind of telling. First came divorce, now children and parents are separating. I've came across the line of thinking that children are owed everything because they didn't ask to be born yet they don't owe their parents any type of relationship or connection. It's all completely backwards from how things use to be: that family was the most important thing, wanting to be there for your parents because they raised you etc. I know things weren't perfect in the past but I don't see how society can survive being this ruthless literally everyone for themselves. If the next generation doesn't have kids how will their be cousins, aunt's etc. I'm sure they will create some AI bots to try and "solve"the problem. Anything but get to the root of the problem. Even in the nineties families had get togethers not many do anymore. Virtually no one takes care of their elderly. Yet everyone fake cares so much about social justice or brags about loving dogs more than humans, and that people need to go extinct so that nature can thrive. It used to not be like this
Hi @Marihart

Thanks for your post and the link. I read the article with interest. Many movies carry this theme.

Quote from Family Estrangement Is On The Rise

We have a culture that's very rich in the language of separation and individuation and labeling and diagnosis but a completely impoverished culture around ideas of connectedness and interdependency and mutual reliance.

Reactions: Marihart

Marihart

May 19, 2022
Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which movies are you talking about? I don't keep up with much. That quote from the article sums it up exactly

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Which movies are you talking about? I don't keep up with much. That quote from the article sums it up exactly
Any movie or TV show that has a principle character who is at odds with family, friends, society or God. The sitcom Frasier is an example.

Quote from BingChat.

A broken protagonist is a character in a story who is flawed, damaged, or has a troubled past. They may be struggling with inner demons, trauma, or other issues that make them less than perfect. This type of character is often used in literature, film, and other forms of media to create a sense of realism and to explore complex themes such as redemption, forgiveness, and the human condition1.
In writing, it can be challenging to create a broken protagonist that readers will empathize with and root for. If not done well, a broken protagonist can come across as unlikable or unsympathetic. According to one author, a broken protagonist needs to have either hope for redemption or evolve and leave their negative traits behind to be successful 1.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There's so much information about narcissism in the last ten years or so. Some psychologists have called it an epidemic. If you have encountered these people, you know that nothing you do can make it better. There is no appeasing these people. If you're kind, they run over you. If you try to defend yourself against their cruelty, they flip it around and say that you're at fault. Literally the only thing you can do is to avoid them.
@Marihart This exactly describes my son's ex.

Reactions: Marihart

Marihart

May 19, 2022
Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So glad she's an ex! Those people will cause drama and ruin relationships if they stick around. Also why it's important to be able to identify some of the characteristics

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So glad she's an ex! Those people will cause drama and ruin relationships if they stick around. Also why it's important to be able to identify some of the characteristics
They have two little girls and he had to fight her in the courts for access to the older one. He is not allowed to see the younger one and his name isn't on the birth certificate. He can't afford to take her to court again over it. She keeps thinking up new ways to hurt him. But he was brought up by Christian parents and knows not to retaliate in a nasty way.

• Sad
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Marihart

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My husband and I watched a reality show called “The Trust.” There was this big farmer guy on the show. he seemed down to earth and like someone you could trust. When he went in the vault and they tempted him with a sizable cash offer, he said “My integrity is not for sale!” Over and over you start to notice all he ever does is maintain how much of a good guy he is. Until they make him another offer …but this time they tell him if he doesn’t take the offer then, it will go to someone else. All of a sudden this guy masterfully turns it around saying “it’s not about the money to me(30,000). I want to keep someone else from being tempted. so I’ll take the offer. For their sake. I will take the offer.”

Maybe that makes no sense and you’d have to see it to understand. But to me there is an epidemic of the lies we tell and convince ourselves. It’s scary.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Lambano and TLHKAJ