Native Pow Wow, should Christians participate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"One major difference between old-time events and modern powwows is that the latter are intertribal and inclusive, meaning that they are open to all who wish to attend, whereas pre-contact events allowed only tribal members and those from friendly neighbouring tribes on the dance grounds."

I suppose if it is "pre-contact" you would be good to go and, from what I read (did not read it all...pretty long) there is nothing I can see that God would disapprove of.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know much about Pow Wows, but if they are religious in nature:beware! If they are cultural in nature, no problem, even if your aren't Native American.

Paul said he would be a Jew to the Jews and a gentile to the Gentiles (paraphrasing). A Catholic Bishop (keep the hate speech down please) when in Rome, do as the Romans do, When in Milan do as they do (also paraphrasing).

Many celebrate Octoberfest or St Patrick's day without being German or Irish (I'm both, and don't too much). No harm in it too much. No problem with pow wows as long as they aren't religious celebrations.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No problem with pow wows as long as they aren't religious celebrations

Good post.

I noted from the article that (the competitive ones) its kinda like Native American Idol was a travelling talent show long before 'American Idol' came to tv screens.. :D

Pax et Bonum

Reactions: FHII

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't know much about Pow Wows, but if they are religious in nature:beware! If they are cultural in nature, no problem, even if your aren't Native American.

Paul said he would be a Jew to the Jews and a gentile to the Gentiles (paraphrasing). A Catholic Bishop (keep the hate speech down please) when in Rome, do as the Romans do, When in Milan do as they do (also paraphrasing).

Many celebrate Octoberfest or St Patrick's day without being German or Irish (I'm both, and don't too much). No harm in it too much. No problem with pow wows as long as they aren't religious celebrations.
You could have chosen to learn something about Pow Wow's if you would have read the OP link.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's Pow Wow time in North America.
Should Christians be involved in Pow Wow's ?
Is it beneficial in some way to be involved?
What harm does it do, if none, what good will it do?
How does the Lord look upon Pow Wow's, anything the Bible has to say about such events?

powwow | Definition, History, & Facts

What would your involvement / participation be if you attended?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Native Pow Wow, should Christians participate?
OP^

Sure!
Pow wows are celebrations of that tribes cultural heritage.
They entertain visitors by singing, playing music, dancing in festive tribal clothing.
There is also crafts, visitors can learn about, participate in, purchase, food, etc.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does the Lord look upon Pow Wow's, anything the Bible has to say about such events?

The established Feast and Festival get together days for the Jews...
I see no harm in willingly experiencing an others culture.

Greeks, Germans, Cajuns etc. ....use to have week-end dates in years past, maybe some still do, Festivals for visitors to experience their cultures...music, dance, dress, food.

Ooh, ooh, Cajun music, and gator on a stick...fun.
German beer and shorts and suspenders and polka music...!!
Need a lot of energy to keep up with Greek dancing...fun to watch.

Reactions: Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could have chosen to learn something about Pow Wow's if you would have read the OP link.
Yea, but I didn't! So what? I said nothing offensive to Native Americans (by the way, I have alledged Mic Mac kin) and especially nothing offensive to God's Word.

I have the utmost respect for all cultures, esp. Native American Culture. I just don't have time to learn about everything. So no, I didn't look at the link.

Reactions: Nancy

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yea, but I didn't! So what? I said nothing offensive to Native Americans (by the way, I have alledged Mic Mac kin) and especially nothing offensive to God's Word.

I have the utmost respect for all cultures, esp. Native American Culture. I just don't have time to learn about everything. So no, I didn't look at the link.
Well, my point was to address your first remarks .

You said you don't know a lot about Pow Wows. Then you proceeded to speak to the OP question without that knowledge.
When all you had to do was take as much time as it took to post your projection about Pow Wows you know nothing about, to instead read the Britannica link and then opine from a place of understanding.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, my point was to address your first remarks .

You said you don't know a lot about Pow Wows. Then you proceeded to speak to the OP question without that knowledge.
When all you had to do was take as much time as it took to post your projection about Pow Wows you know nothing about, to instead read the Britannica link and then opine from a place of understanding.
So just one reading of a Britannica link would've told me all I need to know? Concerning the OP, I have done some research and the Bible and the Lord have NOTHING to say about Native American Pow Wows! If he or the Bible does, it ain't good! But I did give scriptural reference that says as long as it isn't religious, it's ok.

But I figure you have an axe to grind... So by all means, proceed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should Christians be involved in Pow Wow's ?
Not really. Unless they are Native Americans, and then too with great caution: "Pow wows, by definition, are Native American gatherings in which American Indians sing, dance, reconnect with old friends and celebrate their rich ancestral histories. Often accompanied by a conference or meeting, pow wows are one of the best ways to experience traditional Native American culture..."

...Note: While this is the most commonly referenced definition for pow wow, the word can also mean “an American Indian medicine man,” according to Merriam Webster. A medicine man is, by definition, an American Indian healer and tribal spiritual leader who believed that physical nature might be brought under the control of man. Use of the term “pow wow” in contexts not relating to American Indians or their cultures is considered offensive.
What is a Native American Pow Wow? - PowWows.com

Medicine men are shamans, and shamans communicate with evil spirits. There is also drumming at pow-wows and that is a precursor to the involvement of spirits.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ooh, ooh, Cajun music, and gator on a stick...fun.
German beer and shorts and suspenders and polka music...!!
Need a lot of energy to keep up with Greek dancing...fun to watch.

Lol, yes, great cultural events.

How about the use of sweat lodges and spiritual drumming.
Should Christians participate?
I understand that's included at Pow Wows, correct me if i am wrong.

theeblackestblu

Sep 4, 2022
california
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi there, I would like to testify that every native american thing i have ever been evolved with has spirits that gather with them. Those doors are hard to close.
I would be very careful. i've experienced it first hand.
Knowing what i know now. Anything that has "ancestors" attached to it... Its a no go for me.
From the Britannica
"The term powwow, which derives from a curing ritual, originated in one of the Algonquian nations of the Northeast Indians."
Theres always burning of sage, crystals, charms, amulets and a host of tribal paraphernalia. Please do not miss understand me, I love native america peoples. i've known so many. But the culture is steeped in tribal witchcraft, ancestor veneration, and the like.