Need help quitting coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what I'm going to try is instead of putting a full teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, I'm going to use slightly less in each cup over time and slowly wean myself off. I tried waiting out the coffee time and it didn't work so far. So it's going to be a slow taper down in each cup. Hope that works.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might join you. It gives me anxiety and I don't know if you knew this, but I read recently that caffeine increases psychosis and hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia.

Gives me heart palpitations, so I am thinking about switching back to matcha or green tea.

will pray, too

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll pray, brother. Coffee messes with my stomach (and heart) as well.

Maybe for caffeine, you could switch to green tea, matcha? Chicory is a great substitute for coffee ...you can get all sorts of herbal chicory combos. Chicory is great for gut healing, btw.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.
You may want to try a non-acidic coffee, that can be a lot easier on your stomach.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might join you. It gives me anxiety and I don't know if you knew this, but I read recently that caffeine increases psychosis and hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia.

Gives me heart palpitations, so I am thinking about switching back to matcha or green tea.

will pray, too
Yes my old psychiatrist recommended that I not drink caffeine, but my new one or doctor, can't remember, recommended I drink coffee to counteract the sedatives.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll pray, brother. Coffee messes with my stomach (and heart) as well.

Maybe for caffeine, you coukd switch to green tea, matcha? Chicory is a great substitute for coffee ...you can get all sorts of herbal chicory combos. Chicory is great for gut healing, btw.
I tried green tea and same effect on me.

Reactions: marks and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

will pray, too
Funny, we were saying about the same things. Lol

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
decaf might be an easier option, too. you wont have to miss it as much
When I do chicory, I sometimes add some organic cocoa and organic instant caffeine free coffee. It can be flavored the same way as coffee. I use organic heavy cream and some flavored monk fruit sweetener (vanilla, caramel, English toffee, etc).

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to start using a level teaspoon instead of a heaping teaspoon. I checked and it's still dark enough to drink. That should cut my caffeine in half per day.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the same with @TLHKAJ LOL

Odd.

@devin553344

Reducing sounds like your only option, but if you get the option to brew, you can throw egg shells in with the grounds. It will make it less acidic.
Yes I looked it up and reducing the dose is recommended. I just was trying to stop drinking the 6 cups and it wasn't working. I was so tense and uptight that I couldn't take it anymore and drank another cup. And if I'm going to drink 6 cups a day, it's two cups every 5 hours, then yes I think right now that is my only option.