New Catholic Member

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you rate Catholics in participation at Christian Forum?

• Total voters

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Hello, This is my first post on this board. I have asked three poll questions as a means of getting a feel in determining what sort of audience of Christians I am dealing with. The first question deals basically with your own interaction with Catholic on this board. I hope that many have participated in other forums of a similiar nature to perhaps make a comparison as to the level of participation. The second question deals basically with Catholicism. Some people may respect Catholics individually as there exist many different expressions from "liberal" or "cafeteria Catholics" who do not believe in the full teachings of the Catholic Church to "conservative" Catholics who agree with the changes of Vatican II and all the way to "traditional Catholics" who prefer the Latin Mass, but in terms of the teachings of the Church as a collective whole and not based on the preferences of the individuals, this is what the question is intended to answer. My third question, I have checked the box to allow multiple answers. I think it would be unfair to do otherwise as there are different aspects from education, calling one "brother," to what you percieve as temperment.

Now, to introduce myself--My Secular Self:

I am 38 years old. Caucasian. Born in Washington State. Raised around the Seattle, Tacoma, and even Arlington, WA areas. I visited Japan for two weeks in the spring of 1984. I graduated from Stadium High School in Tacoma around 1991, but didn't really graduate until 1992 due to attending Clover Park Technical College on a quarter tuition. I was studying offset reprographics. I eventually joined the Marine Corps in 1993-1997 as a LVS operator MOS 3533. I went on two West Pacs, became a Shellback on the first float. I moved to Atlanta, GA for a job opportunity and met my fiancee. I worked as a Correctional Officer at a local jail in Pulaski, TN for one year. I married my wife, who is a Japanese citizen from the Gunma prefecture near Takasaki. I joined the TN Army National Guard. I have volunteered for three tours to Iraq, never command directed. Was stationed at TQ for OIF05-06, in Camp Bucca for OIF07-08, and was stationed in Speicher, Tikrit for OIF09-10. I've been married for 12 years, no kids... yet. I have about another four years left before I get my twenty year letter for retirement benefits. I am a Staff Sergeant as a 13M, but been a 13B. One more thing, between my marriage and my first tour in Iraq, I attended and graduated with a BA with an English major, Asian studies and secondary education minors in 2005.

My Religious Journey:
I was raised in Assembly of God churches and other non-denominational/independant churches. Pretty much was an Arminian, Pretribulation, Premillinialist, Tongue-speaking. Could not reconcile what I thought was sacreligious behaviors with contemporary appeals. Found the youth groups to be more a socialization for boyfriend/girlfriend matchmaking rather than serious spiritual pursuits. I became Lutheran shortly thereafter as I was asked to fill a position as a Sunday school teacher due to an opening. As a Lutheran, I vocalized my disagreements with the "Real Presence" but was still allowed to be confirmed a Lutheran. About the time I joined the Marines, I backslide. I experienced some traumatic experiences when in the Marine Corps, but not related to the profession... I was molested by another man. I went to an offshot of Exodus International in San Diego called "Alternatives" which was reassuring. After I moved to Tennessee, after my marriage, I could not find a Lutheran Church in my town of residence and so started to attend the Episcopal Church. After finding out about Bishop Gene Robinson's election, I pretty much fought a loosing battle with my fellow parishioners who wanted to pray about it and even supported it along with some other ideas as woman ordination and full communion policies extended to even the unbelievers. I searched for a bible believing church, attended a Southern Baptist church, but was not convinced with the OSAS teachings. I missed the Eucharist and started to investigate Catholicism. It was a rough time going through RCIA as I was angered at the lack of apologetics and had to do my own research to satisfy my own objections and misunderstandings. I was confirmed a Catholic on Easter 2004 with the confirmation name Columcille. I have been having some dialogue with both the Greek Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox priests during my last deployment to Iraq (Chaplian Millsaps was Greek Orthodox and was my battalion chaplian) while the Antiochian Orthodox priest has a mission church in a nearby town. I decided to discontinue my catechumen process with them to investigate the Secular Franciscan Order to see if this is my calling or not. So far, I am about to finish my 6th orientation with the fraternity in Chattanooga and should be welcomed as an inquirer perhaps as early as May.

At any rate, I feel I have given the best summation of both my secular activities and my religious journey. I hope to have some good discussions with others here. I shall try and let you know that my temperment may frustrate some. Normally when I post, I hope to stick the Original Post and avoid diverging onto another subject. I find that it brings better closure to a given subject to stay on track. Some may think that my not answering a question is avoiding it, but it is just my policy to ignore chasing after rabbit trails. I'll answer the question if it is a new original post and I am not held up with my duties with the TN Army National Guard or other such interruptions. I am sorry for such a long post. Pax et bonum (peace and good) .

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And a Pentecostal welcome to you!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi St. columcille!

welcome12.gif

I have asked three poll questions as a means of getting a feel in determining what sort of audience of Christians I am dealing with.

Just a whole bunch of believers at various stages of growth in Jesus...:p

I hope that you enjoy our fellowship...looking forward to your posts.

BTW...I enjoyed reading your journey in the Lord...

Blessings!!!

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Hi St. columcille!

welcome12.gif

Just a whole bunch of believers at various stages of growth in Jesus...:p

I hope that you enjoy our fellowship...looking forward to your posts.

BTW...I enjoyed reading your journey in the Lord...

Blessings!!

Thank you for the welcome. My favorite movie came from New Zealand. While I love JRR Tolkein's the Lord of the Rings, and my yahoo username does contain "hobbit" within it, this is not the movie I am referencing. I wonder if you ever watched the movie "The Navigator: A Time-Travel Adventure" produced by John Maynard and directed by Vincent Ward. Still is one of my favorite films.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi again!

I haven't watched that movie for ages!
I am on holiday at the moment so I think I'll check it out...thanks.

I hope that you could understand the "Kiwi accent" ;)

Have a great day brother!

Blessings!!!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Hi ! ST.Columcille.
I can not tick any of them boxes and then again i could maybe tick all.

I was a protestant and thought the catholics were of with the pixies, and i was so angry at them that i looked into what they were on about.

I tried throwing everything at them only to end up looking like a idiot and a fool. i was so naive because i only knew what i was told about as to what they believed.

I have a book called The gospel according to Rome by James G. McCarthy and i will have to say it's the biggest load of slandering work of the Devil out.

I know that a lot of Catholics know bugger all about their religion and that idiot McCarthy is only pushing their foolish ignorance.

I am some sort of Franciscan of a type of 4th order and that is about a close to it as i could say that i am now.

I don't go to Church as i can't stand all the singing or gossip and as its so hard to find anyone who wants to talk about Christ. but only just worldly nonsense.

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Hi ! ST.Columcille.
I was a protestant and thought the catholics were of with the pixies, and i was so angry at them that i looked into what they were on about.

I am some sort of Franciscan of a type of 4th order and that is about a close to it as i could say that i am now.

Pax et bonum to you Mr. Rosenberger.

I am unaware of any Franciscan 4th order. The only 4th order in the Catholic Church from my understanding is the Knights of Columbus. There are different types of expression within each order, but I do believe that the first order is reserved for monks, priests, and laybrothers... strictly celibate. The second order is the St. Clares and would belong to nuns and laysisters. The third order belongs to seculars, laypeople, priests, and others who follow the Rule of St. Francis while living in the world. I am going to an SFO fraternity, but there is also the TOR (Third Order Regular) which, I believe, live in a more cenobitical community similiar to what John Michael Talbot founded in Arkansas with "The Brothers and Sisters of Charity."

In regards to what others teach about Catholicism, I would hope that you would at least bear with them. I am not about to call anyone who might slander Catholics or Catholicism with mud slinging. As a person who used to hand out Jack Chick tracts, I find it is counterproductive to verbally abuse anyone regardless of their particular beliefs.

I'd like to continue some good dialogue with you, get to know you better. You used the past tense that you were a Protestant. It seems a little ambigious, what particular expression would you say best exhibit's closest to your personal belief system? I am just asking, because I have heard that there are a type of Franciscan Orders in the Anglican Church. Are you Catholic? Are you Anglo-Catholic? Are you Old Catholic? Are you Eastern Orthodox? Are you Eastern Catholic? Are you Oriental Orthodox? Are you Lutheran? There are many of these particular choices from which I listed that some might suggest that they are not Protestant anymore and consider one of these particular churches to be part and parcel of the whole communion. I'd like to join an Eastern Catholic Church, and I might have the opportunity to do that when I switch to the SFO fraternity in Nashville.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Pax et bonum to you Mr. Rosenberger.

I am unaware of any Franciscan 4th order. The only 4th order in the Catholic Church from my understanding is the Knights of Columbus. There are different types of expression within each order, but I do believe that the first order is reserved for monks, priests, and laybrothers... strictly celibate. The second order is the St. Clares and would belong to nuns and laysisters. The third order belongs to seculars, laypeople, priests, and others who follow the Rule of St. Francis while living in the world. I am going to an SFO fraternity, but there is also the TOR (Third Order Regular) which, I believe, live in a more cenobitical community similiar to what John Michael Talbot founded in Arkansas with "The Brothers and Sisters of Charity."

In regards to what others teach about Catholicism, I would hope that you would at least bear with them. I am not about to call anyone who might slander Catholics or Catholicism with mud slinging. As a person who used to hand out Jack Chick tracts, I find it is counterproductive to verbally abuse anyone regardless of their particular beliefs.

I'd like to continue some good dialogue with you, get to know you better. You used the past tense that you were a Protestant. It seems a little ambigious, what particular expression would you say best exhibit's closest to your personal belief system? I am just asking, because I have heard that there are a type of Franciscan Orders in the Anglican Church. Are you Catholic? Are you Anglo-Catholic? Are you Old Catholic? Are you Eastern Orthodox? Are you Eastern Catholic? Are you Oriental Orthodox? Are you Lutheran? There are many of these particular choices from which I listed that some might suggest that they are not Protestant anymore and consider one of these particular churches to be part and parcel of the whole communion. I'd like to join an Eastern Catholic Church, and I might have the opportunity to do that when I switch to the SFO fraternity in Nashville.

I do say that anyone who runs around slandering is doing the work of the Devil so when someone tells me what the Catholics believe and i inform them that it is not true and to look into what the official catholic view is, they will not even bother at all. but i cop a lot of abuse for it as they think i am just nieve, and they some how overlook that i was a protestant for over 30 years as nothing and that i hated the Catholics more than they do.

A lot of the different peoples view is to do with a misunderstanding in the depth of it all. by being to narrow minded.

As to my saying 4Th order i know all of them but i am not affiliated to any or any Church denomination. so i am outside so to speak of, as being of a type of 4Th order ?

I have talked with Catholics about St Frances and they do not have a clew as they waffle on about patron saint of animals & environment things, and i think O no they have missed the boat. as to me it's that St Frances was spiritual in depth and no one who is worldly will really understand him.

I find the protestant come from a more like primary school understanding of things as are most Catholics on that level as well.

As i was a protestant coming from three denominations i found doors were closed in my face and told not to go looking into things as they told me what was what. i would read them a passage and say there is more to it than that, only to be told that there is not. and when i looked into the Catholic Church every door was open not one closed.

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
I have talked with Catholics about St Frances and they do not have a clew as they waffle on about patron saint of animals & environment things, and i think O no they have missed the boat. as to me it's that St Frances was spiritual in depth and no one who is worldly will really understand him.

I am thinking perhaps it might be a good topic to discuss, regarding St. Francis of Assisi's personal ethos. I think the book that really captures him the best is Chesterton's book on him. Although, I have Adrian House's "Francis of Assisi" and find greater details that surrounded St. Francis. When I read in the "Early Documents" and read "The Little Flowers of St. Francis" and come across his meeting the sultan during a crusade in Egypt, I get a greater appreciation when I learn of King John and Pelagius in their actions fighting Al-Kamil. St. Francis cheated death twice when he went to visit Al-Kamil. At any rate, even some unworldly folk could not really understand St. Francis, because St. Francis really believed in the sacraments in the Catholic Church.

At any rate, I am learning a great deal about St. Francis. If you can think of a place to post the topic, I can certainly start a post.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am thinking perhaps it might be a good topic to discuss, regarding St. Francis of Assisi's personal ethos. I think the book that really captures him the best is Chesterton's book on him. Although, I have Adrian House's "Francis of Assisi" and find greater details that surrounded St. Francis. When I read in the "Early Documents" and read "The Little Flowers of St. Francis" and come across his meeting the sultan during a crusade in Egypt, I get a greater appreciation when I learn of King John and Pelagius in their actions fighting Al-Kamil. St. Francis cheated death twice when he went to visit Al-Kamil. At any rate, even some unworldly folk could not really understand St. Francis, because St. Francis really believed in the sacraments in the Catholic Church.

At any rate, I am learning a great deal about St. Francis. If you can think of a place to post the topic, I can certainly start a post.

I read Chesterton's book on Francis and enjoyed it, but I found Bonaventure's account to be more accessible (surprisingly, since he was almost a contemporary of Francis) and provided a viewpoint that did not need to be decoded like the "stand the subject on it's head" style of Chesterton's writing.

I joined the Catholic church 11 years ago - I am 40 in two weeks. I've been a Benedictine oblate for about 8 years. I love being Catholic, but I consider all people who believe in the true nature of God as a Trinity and choose to respond to Christ's justification (invitation forgiveness and acceptance, through baptism) and sanctification (learning and practicing the art of love, until we relearn how to love like the creatures we were created to be in the first place + the highest form of love - forgiveness) as my brother's and sister's in Christ. I also believe doctrine is important, but only seen through the eyes of love. Doctrine doesn't equal love - doctrine without love is the same legalism practiced by the Pharisees.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading your posts!

blessings

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Welcome, loved reading your journey, I prescribe to no denomination..I just follow Jesus..I do as He did ( try really hard) and let the Words I receive come from Him and His word. I go to a non denominational church, which has a mixture of different backgrounds, some christian and some not..But I love God and His Word, where you or someone goes to church should have no bearings on their love of God, or following Jesus..So welcome and Shalom...Also did not answer your poll as I disagree with most of the questions and had to answer all..The only thing I can say is we are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ....

Shep

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Welcome, loved reading your journey, I prescribe to no denomination..I just follow Jesus..I do as He did ( try really hard) and let the Words I receive come from Him and His word. I go to a non denominational church, which has a mixture of different backgrounds, some christian and some not..But I love God and His Word, where you or someone goes to church should have no bearings on their love of God, or following Jesus..So welcome and Shalom...Also did not answer your poll as I disagree with most of the questions and had to answer all..The only thing I can say is we are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ....

Shep

Thank you. I am not sure as to what you mean by what I made bold in your comment above especially the underlined portion.

I will have to admit, that due to my experience, due to what I consider a strong hermeneutical stance of Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition or for what others might be a Christian historical continuity on the subject of homosexuality, that I consider the Episcopal Church USA, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the Presbyterian Church USA, and some pockets of resistence in the United Methodist Church (Thank the Lord the conservatives are winning there against the liberals) that the lot of them are in my book moral heretics and incapable of being a brother/sister in Christ when he is not Lord over them by their rejecting his teachings and the teachings of the Apostles. With that being said, I hope that "some not" does not put you into such a position where I cannot in good conscience call you my brother. It is always better that we stand united against real damnable heresies.

Pax et bonum. (Peace and good)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I am not sure as to what you mean by what I made bold in your comment above especially the underlined portion.

I will have to admit, that due to my experience, due to what I consider a strong hermeneutical stance of Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition or for what others might be a Christian historical continuity on the subject of homosexuality, that I consider the Episcopal Church USA, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the Presbyterian Church USA, and some pockets of resistence in the United Methodist Church (Thank the Lord the conservatives are winning there against the liberals) that the lot of them are in my book moral heretics and incapable of being a brother/sister in Christ when he is not Lord over them by their rejecting his teachings and the teachings of the Apostles. With that being said, I hope that "some not" does not put you into such a position where I cannot in good conscience call you my brother. It is always better that we stand united against real damnable heresies.

Pax et bonum. (Peace and good)

Umm....hard to picture St. Francis as a conservative.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
What I meant was that some were buddha or muslim before coming to Christ..Sorry for misunderstanding....of not making myself clearer....In our church we do not care about denomination only that you follow Jesus now and Love the Lord God with all your heart...Some come from the SDA or other denominations of Christianity....

Enjoy the forum and be blessed by the variety of post....

Shep

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Umm....hard to picture St. Francis as a conservative.

Depends on what you mean by "conservative."
The application that I mean is to say he believed in the tenets of the Church absolutely. He was not a "progressive" or "liberal" in the sense that he secretly wished for things contrary to the Magesterium as "woman ordination" or "homosexual unions" or "pro-choice" or "open communion policies to even athiests and non-Christians." Much of these has already infested the Episcopal Church USA and Evangelical Lutheran Church of America causing worldwide schism in those communions and for us Catholic there has been many Anglican priests that have defected to the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox faith.

However, if you mean by "conservative" as being something in comparison to say "traditionalists," I would think you were right. I do not think Francis would approve of the changes found in the N.O. Mass that happened due to Vatican II. In such a case, that is an issue of form and not affecting doctrine and morals. In the manner of "woman ordination" this is not a matter of changing form, but a radical departure of practice that does border on the doctrinal and moral authority of the Church. Firstly, Christ came as a man and not a woman to die for our sins. He selected 12 apostles, all of them men. In keeping with God establishing the tribes of Israel, in the Levitical priesthood, the patriarches are not matriarchs and the priests are not priestesses. It would be very hard to establish by Scripture and Tradition a cause to allow woman to serve as presbyters. Women have their own priesthood, as much as all saints are part of the priesthood per Hebrews, and they have different abilities and gifts. Many women serve in the Church in leadership roles as can be seen in Ireland with St. Briget of Kildare as an abbess. But no woman has the ability to offer up the Eucharist. St. Clare is also no exception. Francis would not desire for Clare to be ordained, because it would be against Rule #6 to be in full communion with the Magesterium.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ! ST.Columcille.
I can not tick any of them boxes and then again i could maybe tick all.

I tried throwing everything at them only to end up looking like a idiot and a fool. i was so naive because i only knew what i was told about as to what they believed.

I have a book called The gospel according to Rome by James G. McCarthy and i will have to say it's the biggest load of slandering work of the Devil out.

I know that a lot of Catholics know bugger all about their religion and that idiot McCarthy is only pushing their foolish ignorance.

I don't go to Church as i can't stand all the singing or gossip and as its so hard to find anyone who wants to talk about Christ. but only just worldly nonsense.
Me too

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you push the catholic barrow, you will not get much of a hearing. Most of what goes down here usually does not highlight specific denominations but is the product of denominational teaching which often ignores the scriptures.

And you will find plenty of people that like to give the impression they know what they are talking about but don't. But I guess on an open forum anything goes doctrinally and it does open the door to some good conversations.

In your open post, it is clear you have been around and done this that and the other but it doesn't say anything about you being born again or knowing Christ the risen Lord. Perhaps you might like to elaborate on that.