New Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Everytime when I mention about importance of reading the New Testament, I get nagative, resenful respons without exception.New Testament has been treated lightly by churches. I believe it is because the NT is clearly explaining about our responsibility as His servants and good witnessing. The churches feel guilty about not being good witnesses for the Lord.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faithful, you've mentioned it here quite a few times and I've never seen anyone reply with a "negative" response purely because of the NT. In fact, I see the NT quoted just as often as the old. The negative response you find here comes when you say we don't need the OT, and you're going to continue to see that because many of the people here believe that you need to know both to understand Scripture. I am one of those people, and my views will not change. Christ quoted from the OT a lot of times from the NT, but he also quoted it other times to expand upon it in passages such as Matthew 5.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Would you show me when I ever said we don't need OT, please? I don't believe I ever commented any such thing because I value ALL Scriptures NT and OT.thank you

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
I also would like to add that OT is very interesting for deep studying. It is so exciting to read them all. But NT is so useful for young and new believers. You can be good witnessing and evangelist right away if you have been reading it daily and striving to obey evethying you are learning. I have been believer for 8 years but have been evangelizing very soon after becasue the NT helped me so much to understand the importance of spreading Jesus to the world.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the solutions are in the NT. We don't have to look into OT to find the solutions about daily lives.
Thread: http://www.christianityboard.com/christian...410.html?p=8421 That one came to mind. In fairness, I see now where you posted about the OT having knowledge so I recognize that but the statement above implies that the OT is of little worth. For example, there are excellent dietary guidelines in the OT that are not kept because they're not about salvation for God. However, they do help you live a healtheir lifestyle which is something I know I can afford to do and I am sure others could as well. Churches ignore these too. All sorts of extracirricular activities are run, but these things remain ignored. I guess I am just concerned people will take it as that old book which doesn't have anything left in it because Christ fulfilled it all. I'm very big on prophecy because it's found all throughout the Bible. Planting the seed for nonChristians is only a part of one's ministry. We do no good if we merely create a "Christian" based on a few very basic tenants. Christ is THE way, but he was also THE Word in flesh. All of it, not just the parts we like. Christ expounded upon prophecy for a reason. I go back to Christ's reading of Isaiah in Luke: Luke 4:18-19The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. Isaiah 61:1-2The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; Notice how our Savior stops at "the day of vegeance" which is yet a future time. His first coming - the first advent - is a fulfillment of what I highlighted. The rest has yet to pass. Do we know what's going to happen? We all should, it's written right there in front of us in the New and the Old.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
All the solutions are in the NT. We don't have to look into OT to find the solutions about daily lives.
I realize this statement was kind of weak. All I meant was that NT can be so useful and practical for our daily lives for evangelism and good witnessing. I apologize for poor expression.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well glad we could clear it all up.
smile.gif
I was under the wrong impression, thanks for clarifying. Back to the original topic... There are a lot of churches out there that do and many others out there that don't. I think the problem is we find it easier to go hear a sermon of stories on Sunday and feel good about it. These one, two, or three verse rev's are very popular. The problem is, they don't stand in front of us in judgment. It's just sad that some sit in the pews every Sunday morning for decades and learn so little. An hour of time a day or even every other day lets you learn so much when you sit down and read. New or Old.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Yes, taking time for yourself to read the Bible is important and blessing. It is just too bad that people don't realize how it is blessing rather than burdensome.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
(Faithful1;9667)
Everytime when I mention about importance of reading the New Testament, I get nagative, resenful respons without exception.New Testament has been treated lightly by churches.
I think reading the NT, especially the gospels, is important. I have no negative response to offer, then.Perhaps some groups treat the NT lightly. I used to be amazed at how differently the scriptures are handled by different groups of people. I've gotten over it. Well, only somewhat.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
I too have no negative to say about the New Testament, it is just as wonderful as the Old, I try to study in both every day... it is easy to as they coorelate so wonderfully... I have a Companion Bible by Bullinger and it has the quotes from the Old Testament that are in the New by putting them in bold print... its wonderful to see that and go to the Old Testament to read the surrounding verses to see the context. If you do not love the Word, then you do not Love Jesus as He is the Word.. and when John wrote those words the ony WORD was the Old Testament...I don't think its wise to overlook either, I believe, if you love God you'll love the whole word that he sent us... If you got a love lettter from your fiance' would you only read the second half of it? Of course not, the whole thing would be precious to you...the same is with the Word... we are the Bride of Christ and the whole word is his love letter to us....

sevver

Dec 31, 2006
I honestly feel that a new Christian should begin with the reading of the New Testament. I think that it should be understood before anything else happens. Out of that, should be a reading of the Old Testament, I honestly don't think that I could have kept reading the Old Testament had I not piqued my interest from the New. I can appreciate alot of the prophesying found in the OT now, and I can see where God has come in his Training of us. It gives me a better perspective on the New Covenant that we are under now, and how good we have it having a new relationship with God through Jesus. Our sins no longer have to be atoned through death, be it our own, or that of an animal, we have Grace, and learning that in the NT, it gets reinforced through the OT.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(sevver;9718)
I honestly feel that a new Christian should begin with the reading of the New Testament. I think that it should be understood before anything else happens. Out of that, should be a reading of the Old Testament, I honestly don't think that I could have kept reading the Old Testament had I not piqued my interest from the New. I can appreciate alot of the prophesying found in the OT now, and I can see where God has come in his Training of us. It gives me a better perspective on the New Covenant that we are under now, and how good we have it having a new relationship with God through Jesus. Our sins no longer have to be atoned through death, be it our own, or that of an animal, we have Grace, and learning that in the NT, it gets reinforced through the OT.
I have been through the same too. I have learned very quickly how we should change our lives according to Jesus' teachings. I always encourage new and young believers to start with NT until they feel confident about Jesus' messages.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
That's a good idea.
happy.gif
As for me... as I was an unsaved person...I did start the bible with the Old Testament side...as a Christian I end up reading the New Testament at first (after I gotten my KJB, of course). Lord Jesus teaching does change people's lives.
happy.gif
I'm still not done with the Old Testament...but already had finished all of New Testament.Lovest ye in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour.