New Views on the Rapture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lioncubseal

May 24, 2011
The mainstream belief about the rapture is that a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky.
I will endeavor to show that this is false using scriptural support, and then I'd like to share with you what I believe is the true interpretation. Please let me know what you think about my argument thanks. I'm trying to get good feedbacks.

From my readings of verses concerning the rapture I will infer that this mainstream belief most likely originated out of interpretations of the following 2 verses:
Matthew 24:40 "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
1 Thessalonians 4:17 "17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

If we look at the first verse in context we will be able to quickly see that it is not referring to the rapture, but to something very different. The point of confusion is the word "taken", let's see what Jesus meant by "taken". Backtracking 3 verses "37But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39And knew not until the flood came, and TOOK them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Therefore we need not guess for the meaning of the verb to take, Jesus gave us the meaning, he used it in verse 39 to describe being destroyed, being "taken by the grim reaper" if you will, by the flood. In the same way, the Great Tribulation will be such that two men will be the the field working, one will just fall dead (probably out of fatigue) and the other is left to clean up the corpse.

As for the second verse in Thessalonians, I will demonstrate that Paul was not being literal with the words "clouds" and "air", because, putting science/common sense aside (there's virtually nothing up there), scripture does not allow us the possibility of 'being with the lord FOREVER' in the literal air/sky/atmosphere.
Isaiah 65:
"17For, behold, I create new heavens and a new EARTH: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 19And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.20There shall be no more thence an INFANT of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. 21And they shall BUILD HOUSES, and inhabit them; and they shall plant VINEYARDS, and eat the FRUIT of them. 22They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not PLANT, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands...25The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD."

From this passage we see clearly that our eternal abode is of a very Earthly nature. Not only did the Lord use the word EARTH, he said we will give birth to infants, he said we will build houses, we will plant vineyards, eat fruits, wolves and lambs shall feed together, and the lion shall eat STRAW, and finally we see the image of a "holy MOUNTAIN", a moutain is clearly something very Earthly.

Isaiah 35:10
"and those the LORD has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away."
Jeremiah 31:12
"They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD— the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more."

According to the above 2 verses our eternal abode is on Mount Zion, there will be olives, grain, wine, and flocks of animals there, this is not somewhere in the sky. Our eternal abode is on Mount Zion, which over a period of 1000 years will grow into the New Jerusalem: Daniel 2:35 "...But the rock [mount zion] that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth. [New Jerusalem]"

So since we cannot be two places at once physically, we cannot both be in the sky for eternity and also be on mount zion/new jerusalem for eternity, it must be true that the sky and cloud Paul referred to did not literally mean the physical atmosphere.
This is what I think it means. It is symbolism for a holy place, a spiritual plane. Remember God lives in Heaven, God is also omnipresent, therefore Heaven must also be omnipresent. When we become fully one with the Holy Spirit, we become one with God, and we thus live in Heaven (spiritually speaking), then everything we do in the physical 3D reality comes "out of heaven". Therefore this is how Paul is also right, how we can both be in the sky/cloud/heaven forever (spiritually) and also be on Mount Zion forever (physically).

The understanding that the rapture does not mean to be lifted up out of the tribulation and into the sky by the Lord is crucial, because now we need to be responsible; before it was like ok all I need to do is to read the bible, pray, be a very good christian, and God will come for me when the time comes, there's nothing physical that I must do.
Now a very key problem faces us that we need to deal with which before with the vanishing theory we could turn our backs to, and that is what happens when the mark of the beast is instituted?
Revelations 13: "15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark...."

What will you do when the mark of the beast is instituted? How will you get food or water or shelter when you can't buy or sell?

"as in the days of Noah so shall the last days be"
In the days of Noah there was an Ark that provided safety for God's people, now we as God's people, as present day Noah, must also prepare an Ark. The church must prepare.

And here lies the true meaning of the rapture.

Jeremiah 4:6
"Raise the signal to go to Zion! Flee for safety without delay! For I am bringing disaster from the north, even terrible destruction.”
"and those the LORD has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away."
Jeremiah 50:5
"They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. They will come and bind themselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant that will not be forgotten."
Isaiah 66:8
"Who has ever heard of such things? Who has ever seen things like this? Can a country be born in a day or a nation be brought forth in a moment? Yet no sooner is Zion in labor than she gives birth to her children."

The NEW ZION is the new Ark! Going to Zion IS the rapture! It is where the returned Jesus himself will be!
Where is this new Zion? lets agree that it is not in the Middle East, because clearly here God says it will be a place to flee to during the Great tribulation and the Middle East will be a place to free away from during that time. Revelations 12: "14 The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent’s reach"
During the Apostle John's time, when he wrote these words, Europe, Asia, and parts of Africa have all been discovered, are all on the map, the only place that's not on the map, the place that can rightfully be called the wilderness, is the Americas. This is further supported by the part of the verse that says the woman [the real Christians] will be "given wings of a great eagle", the cover picture of an American passport is "a great eagle"! Also the United States is the country right now with the greatest porportion of Christians, the Americans will not allow the mark of the beast to be instituted in their country. It will mostly affect Europe, Asia, and Africa.

So then how is this Zion going to come about?
Revelations 21: "2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, PREPARED AS A BRIDE beautifully dressed for her husband."

Who is the Husband in this case? I hope we can all agree that this means the returned Jesus Christ. It says clearly that this HOly City must be "PREPARED",but by whom? Well definitely not by Jesus physically beacuse he is the husband. In the Jewish tradition preparation of the wedding feast is the responsibility of the bride and her family, so here's the answer--Christians would have to prepare it. Ofcourse we're talking about Christians who have become fully matured and one with the spirit so that everything that comes out of the work of their hands comes out of "heaven" (the meaning of heaven per our discussion above). THe work will be inspired by God, but it will physically be done by Christians.

Not only do some Christians have to prepare Zion, Christian churches need to prepare other methods of supporting its members for when the time comes when the Mark of the Beast is instututed and they cannot buy or sell (because Zion alone, at least initially, will not be able to support 2 billion people). This can be in the form of buying land and planting crops, making clothes, miking cows, making honey, and other business work.

Jesus actually explained very plainly that this needs to be done. Matthew 24 verse 45 and onwards: "whosoever is the faithful and wise servant whom the lord put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food AT THE PROPER TIME? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns." The faithful and wise servant are the elders of the church. Jesus before that described how horrid the tribulation will be, and then he said he put some servants in charge of making this tribulation less painful for his christians.
What happens when these leaders of the church fail to provide for their members for the tribulation? I think Jesus explained that very plainly too.
"48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Anyway if there's a will there's a way. The problem right now many people are living in the false belief that God will come and lift them out of the path of the hurricane that's coming, so they can't, or won't, even respond to what's clearly coming. so that's why I feel a big burden in sharing what I think is the truth so that more people can know about it and respond to it.

Appreciate any input, corrections, and instructions, thanks =]

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mainstream belief about the rapture is that a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky.
I will endeavor to show that this is false using scriptural support, and then I'd like to share with you what I believe is the true interpretation. Please let me know what you think about my argument thanks. I'm trying to get good feedbacks.

From my readings of verses concerning the rapture I will infer that this mainstream belief most likely originated out of interpretations of the following 2 verses:
Matthew 24:40 "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
1 Thessalonians 4:17 "17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

If we look at the first verse in context we will be able to quickly see that it is not referring to the rapture, but to something very different. The point of confusion is the word "taken", let's see what Jesus meant by "taken". Backtracking 3 verses "37But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39And knew not until the flood came, and TOOK them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Therefore we need not guess for the meaning of the verb to take, Jesus gave us the meaning, he used it in verse 39 to describe being destroyed, being "taken by the grim reaper" if you will, by the flood. In the same way, the Great Tribulation will be such that two men will be the the field working, one will just fall dead (probably out of fatigue) and the other is left to clean up the corpse.

As for the second verse in Thessalonians, I will demonstrate that Paul was not being literal with the words "clouds" and "air", because, putting science/common sense aside (there's virtually nothing up there), scripture does not allow us the possibility of 'being with the lord FOREVER' in the literal air/sky/atmosphere.
Isaiah 65:
"17For, behold, I create new heavens and a new EARTH: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 19And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.20There shall be no more thence an INFANT of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. 21And they shall BUILD HOUSES, and inhabit them; and they shall plant VINEYARDS, and eat the FRUIT of them. 22They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not PLANT, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands...25The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD."

From this passage we see clearly that our eternal abode is of a very Earthly nature. Not only did the Lord use the word EARTH, he said we will give birth to infants, he said we will build houses, we will plant vineyards, eat fruits, wolves and lambs shall feed together, and the lion shall eat STRAW, and finally we see the image of a "holy MOUNTAIN", a moutain is clearly something very Earthly.

Jeremiah 31:12
"They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD— the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more."

According to the above 2 verses our eternal abode is on Mount Zion, there will be olives, grain, wine, and flocks of animals there, this is not somewhere in the sky. Our eternal abode is on Mount Zion, which over a period of 1000 years will grow into the New Jerusalem: Daniel 2:35 "...But the rock [mount zion] that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth. [New Jerusalem]"

So since we cannot be two places at once physically, we cannot both be in the sky for eternity and also be on mount zion/new jerusalem for eternity, it must be true that the sky and cloud Paul referred to did not literally mean the physical atmosphere.
This is what I think it means. It is symbolism for a holy place, a spiritual plane. Remember God lives in Heaven, God is also omnipresent, therefore Heaven must also be omnipresent. When we become fully one with the Holy Spirit, we become one with God, and we thus live in Heaven (spiritually speaking), then everything we do in the physical 3D reality comes "out of heaven". Therefore this is how Paul is also right, how we can both be in the sky/cloud/heaven forever (spiritually) and also be on Mount Zion forever (physically).

The understanding that the rapture does not mean to be lifted up out of the tribulation and into the sky by the Lord is crucial, because now we need to be responsible; before it was like ok all I need to do is to read the bible, pray, be a very good christian, and God will come for me when the time comes, there's nothing physical that I must do.
Now a very key problem faces us that we need to deal with which before with the vanishing theory we could turn our backs to, and that is what happens when the mark of the beast is instituted?
Revelations 13: "15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark...."

What will you do when the mark of the beast is instituted? How will you get food or water or shelter when you can't buy or sell?

"as in the days of Noah so shall the last days be"
In the days of Noah there was an Ark that provided safety for God's people, now we as God's people, as present day Noah, must also prepare an Ark. The church must prepare.

And here lies the true meaning of the rapture.

Jeremiah 4:6
"Raise the signal to go to Zion! Flee for safety without delay! For I am bringing disaster from the north, even terrible destruction.”
Jeremiah 50:5
"They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. They will come and bind themselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant that will not be forgotten."
Isaiah 66:8
"Who has ever heard of such things? Who has ever seen things like this? Can a country be born in a day or a nation be brought forth in a moment? Yet no sooner is Zion in labor than she gives birth to her children."

The NEW ZION is the new Ark! Going to Zion IS the rapture! It is where the returned Jesus himself will be!
Where is this new Zion? lets agree that it is not in the Middle East, because clearly here God says it will be a place to flee to during the Great tribulation and the Middle East will be a place to free away from during that time. Revelations 12: "14 The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent’s reach"
During the Apostle John's time, when he wrote these words, Europe, Asia, and parts of Africa have all been discovered, are all on the map, the only place that's not on the map, the place that can rightfully be called the wilderness, is the Americas. This is further supported by the part of the verse that says the woman [the real Christians] will be "given wings of a great eagle", the cover picture of an American passport is "a great eagle"! Also the United States is the country right now with the greatest porportion of Christians, the Americans will not allow the mark of the beast to be instituted in their country. It will mostly affect Europe, Asia, and Africa.

So then how is this Zion going to come about?
Revelations 21: "2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, PREPARED AS A BRIDE beautifully dressed for her husband."

Who is the Husband in this case? I hope we can all agree that this means the returned Jesus Christ. It says clearly that this HOly City must be "PREPARED",but by whom? Well definitely not by Jesus physically beacuse he is the husband. In the Jewish tradition preparation of the wedding feast is the responsibility of the bride and her family, so here's the answer--Christians would have to prepare it. Ofcourse we're talking about Christians who have become fully matured and one with the spirit so that everything that comes out of the work of their hands comes out of "heaven" (the meaning of heaven per our discussion above). THe work will be inspired by God, but it will physically be done by Christians.

Not only do some Christians have to prepare Zion, Christian churches need to prepare other methods of supporting its members for when the time comes when the Mark of the Beast is instututed and they cannot buy or sell (because Zion alone, at least initially, will not be able to support 2 billion people). This can be in the form of buying land and planting crops, making clothes, miking cows, making honey, and other business work.

Jesus actually explained very plainly that this needs to be done. Matthew 24 verse 45 and onwards: "whosoever is the faithful and wise servant whom the lord put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food AT THE PROPER TIME? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns." The faithful and wise servant are the elders of the church. Jesus before that described how horrid the tribulation will be, and then he said he put some servants in charge of making this tribulation less painful for his christians.
What happens when these leaders of the church fail to provide for their members for the tribulation? I think Jesus explained that very plainly too.
"48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Anyway if there's a will there's a way. The problem right now many people are living in the false belief that God will come and lift them out of the path of the hurricane that's coming, so they can't, or won't, even respond to what's clearly coming. so that's why I feel a big burden in sharing what I think is the truth so that more people can know about it and respond to it.

Appreciate any input, corrections, and instructions, thanks =]

I agree! Since we are not certain of the exact day and hour it pays to be ready for it at any day and at any hour.

bigape

May 22, 2008
Hello lioncubseal

At first, when you included the passage in Matthew 24:, I thought that you were building a “straw man”, to prove your point.
But as I continued to read, I saw that your view is similar to that of Mormons.

If you are indeed a Mormon, you are on the wrong forum; This one is for Christians only.
-----------------------------------
As for your argument; First of all, a real Christian(who has studied the Bible), "would not" include the passage in Matthew, when talking about the Rapture, because it clearly isn’t.

As for the belief that “a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky”:

This is based upon dozens of individual Scriptures, that when clearly understood, reveal this Doctrine to us.
-------------------------------------
The reason that only Christians can see this truth in the Bible, is because we have the person of the Holy Spirit, living inside of us and He gives us the ability to understand God’s Word.

You need to first be born again, and then you will also understand the truths of Scripture.

lioncubseal

May 24, 2011
Hello lioncubseal

At first, when you included the passage in Matthew 24:, I thought that you were building a “straw man”, to prove your point.
But as I continued to read, I saw that your view is similar to that of Mormons.

If you are indeed a Mormon, you are on the wrong forum; This one is for Christians only.

Why do I have to be part of any denomination or group to read my own bible and have my own views about it?? And no, I'm not a Mormon.

As for the belief that “a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky”:

This is based upon dozens of individual Scriptures, that when clearly understood, reveal this Doctrine to us.

Please list the Scripture that you referred to.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

OK, bigape, where are the "dozens" of Scriptures that support, " a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky?"

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

OK, bigape, where are the "dozens" of Scriptures that support, " a large group of Christians will physically, and all at the same time, disappear and be lifted up to the higher atmosphere to meet the lord literally in the sky?"

Beam me up Jesus!

[sup]16[/sup]For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: [sup]17[/sup]Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

[sup]18[/sup]Wherefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4: 15,16,17

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
lioncubseal,

Normally I do not come on here and start poking holes in other people's interpretation, but you did ask for feedback on your post.

From my readings of verses concerning the rapture I will infer that this mainstream belief most likely originated out of interpretations of the following 2 verses:Matthew 24:40 "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."

Let's take these one at a time. While I am sure that there are some people who believe in the rapture, who quotes Matt 24 in support of the rapture, most of the bible scholars who believe in a rapture, be it post-trib or pre-trib, do not, for the exact reasons that you put in your post.

Now this is definitely not the case for the second verse that you quoted, which is quoted by almost everyone in their support for the rapture. But if you are going to refute our understanding of the scripture and put forth your own interpretation of the scripture, then it is helpful to take the scripture within the entire context of how it is used the in the chapter.

Let's look at the scripture, along with some of the surrounding verses, to see if how you portray the verse matches up to either how it has been commonly understood by the people who support the rapture, as well as to see if it supports your interpretation of the rapture.

1 Thess 4:13-18 [sup]13[/sup] Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. [sup]14[/sup] For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.[sup]15[/sup] According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. [sup]16[/sup] For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. [sup]17[/sup] After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. [sup]18[/sup] Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Now, our understanding of the rapture is not based entirely on this one verse. There is another verse that talks about this event. A complete understanding of the rapture is impossible unless we also look at 1 Cor 15.

1Cor 15:50-54 [sup]50[/sup] I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. [sup]51[/sup] Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— [sup]52[/sup] in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. [sup]53[/sup] For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. [sup]54[/sup] When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

The scriptures tells us here that we will not all sleep ( meaning we will not all be dead ), but we will all be changed ( both the dead and the ones that are alive ). It tells us how long this change will take, ( in a twinkling of an eye ) it tells us what will be changed ( The perishable will clothe itself with the impreishable, and the mortal with immortality ). It tells us the order of the change ( The Dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are still alive ). It tells us the effect of the change ( then we who are alive will be caught up together with them, the dead in Christ in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air), and it tells us the reason for the change ( and so we will be with the Lord forever.)

You counter the second verse by showing how the scriptures prove that we will not be in the air forever. This is a poor argument in my opinion because neither do the scriptures say that we will be in the air forever, nor do the people who support the rapture claim that we will be in the air together. You can't mischaracterize a position, then disprove that mischaracteration, and think that this proves your position...

I will get the rest in a little bit.

Joshua David

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011

What the scripture says is that we will be with Jesus forever, it does not say that we will be in the clouds forever nor have I ever heard one person who believes in the rapture make this statement. Like I said it is a mischaracteration of our position.

The other problem that you have is that there are not scriptures that tie the rapture with Zion. The other problem that you have is that the Scriptures tell us that the Beast will make war with the Saints and overcome them.

Rev 13:5-7 [sup]5[/sup] And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months. [sup]6[/sup] Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven. [sup]7[/sup] It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation.

These scriptures present major problems with your interpretation. First off, the authority was given to the Beast for 42 months, which is the exact time that the woman is suppose to be protected. Second, it was granted to him to overcome the saints. How can the woman be the church, and 1) be protected for 42 months, while at the same time, 2) being overcome by the beast. The second part of the verse tells us that authority of the beast will extend over every tribe, tongue, and nation. This most certainly will include the United States, because the United States is a nation.

Also, what does coming to America have to do with putting on immortality? How can a person get to America in a 'twinkling of an eye'?

These are just some of the problems that you would have to address in your position for people to take your interpretation seriously.

Joshua David

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
...matches up to either how it has been commonly understood by the people who support the rapture, as well as to see if it supports your interpretation of the rapture.

1 Thess 4:13-18 [sup]13[/sup] Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. [sup]14[/sup] For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.[sup]15[/sup] According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. [sup]16[/sup] For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. [sup]17[/sup] After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. [sup]18[/sup] Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Now, our understanding of the rapture is not based entirely on this one verse. There is another verse that talks about this event. A complete understanding of the rapture is impossible unless we also look at 1 Cor 15. [sup]50[/sup] I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. [sup]51[/sup] Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— [sup]52[/sup] in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. [sup]53[/sup] For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. [sup]54[/sup] When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

The scriptures tells us here that we will not all sleep ( meaning we will not all be dead ), but we will all be changed ( both the dead and the ones that are alive ). It tells us how long this change will take, ( in a twinkling of an eye ) it tells us what will be changed ( The perishable will clothe itself with the impreishable, and the mortal with immortality ). It tells us the order of the change ( The Dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are still alive ). It tells us the effect of the change ( then we who are alive will be caught up together with them, the dead in Christ in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air), and it tells us the reason for the change ( and so we will be with the Lord forever.) ....

There is nothing in 1 Cor 15:50 that supports your "rapture" claim. You must fall back on your misinterpretation of 1 Thes 4: 17 and insert it in 1 Cor.

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011

There is nothing in 1 Cor 15:50 that supports your "rapture" claim. You must fall back on your misinterpretation of 1 Thes 4: 17 and insert it in 1 Cor.

Let's see, what is your common response??? would it go something like this..

The support is there. You just have to study to find it.

There see you aren't the only one who can make statements like that.
laugh.gif

Joshua David

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Let's see, what is your common response??? would it go something like this..

The support is there. You just have to study to find it.

There see you aren't the only one who can make statements like that.

Joshua David

No, I have studied it many times in Greek and English. Your "rapture" doctrine is not there. It's just not in Scripture anywhere!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, I have studied it many times in Greek and English. Your "rapture" doctrine is not there. It's just not in Scripture anywhere!

Rapture is not in the bible... But caught up is!

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. - 1 Thessalonians 4:17

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Rapture is not in the bible... But caught up is!

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. - 1 Thessalonians 4:17

I am very aware the word "rapture" isn't in Scripture and that the word is "harpazō" and can be translated " to seize (in various applications): - catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).
I also know the word "aēr" doesn't mean "sky."

You “rapture” people have tried to prove this doctrine for years and still can’t make it FLY! But you are welcome to believe the lie if you wish.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am very aware the word "rapture" isn't in Scripture and that the word is "harpazō" and can be translated " to seize (in various applications): - catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).
I also know the word "aēr" doesn't mean "sky."

You “rapture” people have tried to prove this doctrine for years and still can’t make it FLY! But you are welcome to believe the lie if you wish.

In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride - Proverbs 14:3

Webster... I assure you... We will never surmount that ego of yours.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride - Proverbs 14:3

Webster... I assure you... We will never be able to surmount that ego of yours.

So, rocko, you can't defend your "rapture doctrine” any more so you attack me instead. Take your best shots, I can take it. I will be here until the end.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So, rocko, you can't defend your "rapture doctrine” any more so you attack me instead. Take your best shots, I can take it. I will be here until the end.

I sir am not the one accusing other people of false doctrine!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Can someone please tell me what difference it makes whether we agree about the 'rapture' doctrines or not? If we are ready what does it matter? I truly take this to be literal:

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 (ESV)

[sup]16 [/sup]For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. [sup]17 [/sup]Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

But I'm ready for anything! What has all this dispute about 'rapture' solved? Anything?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can someone please tell me what difference it makes whether we agree about the 'rapture' doctrines or not? If we are ready what does it matter? I truly take this to be literal:

[sup]16 [/sup]For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. [sup]17 [/sup]Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

But I'm ready for anything! What has all this dispute about 'rapture' solved? Anything?

Duckbill... I agree.. And searching spiritually I find the Spirit of God telling me to be ready for it at any day and at any hour. God simply has not given us enough to build a concrete pre-post- or mid-trib arguments either way!

Numbers 12
[sup]1[/sup]And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.

[sup]2[/sup]And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it.

[sup]3[/sup](Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

[sup]4[/sup]And the LORD spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out.

[sup]5[/sup]And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.

[sup]6[/sup]And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

[sup]7[/sup]My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.

[sup]8[/sup]With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

[sup]9[/sup]And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed.

In the voice of the Lord the mysteries are in 'dark speeches' or in a 'vision' or in a 'dream.' God simply has not concretely given us the date of the 1 Thessalonians prophecy date for us to 100% approve or condemn on. And in the words of Isaac Newton...

“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –Isaac Newton

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

It's about this...

2 Cor 11:2-4
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one Husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
(KJV)

And this...

Matt 25:3-4
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
(KJV)

Matt 25:7-8
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
(KJV)

Matt 25:10-13
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us."
12 But he answered and said, "Verily I say unto you, I know you not."
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
(KJV)

It's not really HOW we are gathered to Christ Jesus at His coming that the Pre-trib doctrinists actually care most about. It's about the TIMING of our gathering to Christ Jesus they care MOST about, i.e., the doctrine's declaration of Christ's gathering His saints PRIOR to the great tribulation.

They only use the 1 Thess.4:17 Scripture as a side-show for ideas like Tim LaHaye and others have developed, that all of a sudden the saints are somehow gone, disappeared suddenly right in front of the unsaved on earth. I mean, the more fantastic the image drummed up, the better its shock value intended to sway people into accepting the lie.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I still don't see how our salvation is dependent upon the 'rapture' doctrine. Salvation is about our Savior, Jesus/God.