New Zealand.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

For those of you who may not be aware, a brief glance at an atlas would inform one that New Zealand is very simply laid out geographically. It has two main islands. The northern most one is called North Island. Simple huh. The southern most (main) island is called South. Easy. Then we have the left and right spheres. On the left of the islands one can find "Westland", and the other, "East Coast". How could it be simpler? Now one may ask why so unimaginative? Why so ...well, "dumbed down"? Well, I'll tell you. It's because we get a lot of visitors from Australia...

B

brakelite

cos the alturnative is to use Maori words/names and they are too difficult for westerns to pronounce! ;)
Yes, like this one....
"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaurehaeaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu"

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, like this one....
"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaurehaeaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu"
I've been to wales and to Anglesa to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Known in the tourist centre, as Llanfair PG.
I think you win as its far more tongue twisting ;)

B

brakelite

I've been to wales and to Anglesa to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Known in the tourist centre, as Llanfair PG.
I think you win as its far more tongue twisting ;)
Nah, I don't know how to even start with that Welsh one. Seen it before and know that whatever I could come up with, it would be wrong...and my dad's grandparents were Welsh.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, I don't know how to even start with that Welsh one. Seen it before and know that whatever I could come up with, it would be wrong...and my dad's grandparents were Welsh.

In the words of the 'seekers song' I'd like to teach the world to speach in english.'

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the words of the 'seekers song' I'd like to teach the world to speach in english.'
I would rather teach them how to speak and enunciate words and expressions in Kiwi lingo. It has been said it is clearer than the Queen's and the typical UK English lingo. :D

B

brakelite

Reactions: OzSpen

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would rather teach them how to speak and enunciate words and expressions in Kiwi lingo. It has been said it is clearer than the Queen's and the typical UK English lingo. :D

Sorry but they were Australian.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For those of you who may not be aware, a brief glance at an atlas would inform one that New Zealand is very simply laid out geographically. It has two main islands. The northern most one is called North Island. Simple huh. The southern most (main) island is called South. Easy. Then we have the left and right spheres. On the left of the islands one can find "Westland", and the other, "East Coast". How could it be simpler? Now one may ask why so unimaginative? Why so ...well, "dumbed down"? Well, I'll tell you. It's because we get a lot of visitors from Australia...

Surely you need the Aussie tourist visitors to bolster NZ's 4.5 million population. I've been to NZ once and have 2 friends living in the country. I hear by phone from one of them regularly. She lives in the North Island.

Oz

Reactions: Brakelite

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And those Aussie visitor are needed to raise the IQ average for all of NZ.

You know why people from New Zealand like wearing tongs/flip flops for their work boots? It is because they do not know how to tie the shoe laces on the work boots properly. It is also probably why they prefer to wear Wellington boots as their "work" boots as well.

Old jokes written with a very straight face with a slight smirk at the corners of my mouth.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And those Aussie visitor are needed to raise the IQ average for all of NZ.

You know why people from New Zealand like wearing tongs/flip flops for their work boots? It is because they do not know how to tie the shoe laces on the work boots properly. It is also probably why they prefer to wear Wellington boots as their "work" boots as well.

Old jokes written with a very straight face with a slight smirk at the corners of my mouth.
I used to be Brakelite as you may be aware, and therefore didn't get the notifications for these. I think you stole that from a former NZ prime minister, Robert Muldoon. He ruled the kingdom of Aotearoa in the 70s and early 80s, was responsible for a number of highly controversial decisions... Like sending the police in to Bastion Point to break up a few hundred Maori who had erected makeshift homes, schools on their own confiscated land to stop the government from selling the land for development. That it happened to be a large parcel of the most prime real estate in Auckland didn't help their cause. But they did eventually get it back along with some monetary compensation. No thanks to Mr Muldoon. The second controversial thing he did was allow the springboks to tour the country in '81. Riots, protests, and all manner of trouble ensued. But I digress.
Back to the stolen phrase above. Muldoon, in the midst of record numbers of kiwis exporting themselves across the ditch, and the criticisms arising against the government for such a state of affairs, remarked that such high emigration raised the average IQ levels of both countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: APAK

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh, and @Jay, we dunt call our boots Wellingtons. You really do have to learn the language. They are gumboots. We even have gumboot throwing competitions.
Nor do we wear 'flip-flops"... And most certainly not thongs, at least not on our feet. They are called jandals. And no, we don't have thong throwing competitions. That my friend is purely an Australian pastime.

Reactions: OzSpen and APAK

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Speaking of Australian pastimes, here's a wee collection of freeze frames from a video of a fearless young lass with a couple of examplesIMG_20220311_204529.jpg IMG_20220311_204557.jpg IMG_20220311_204342.jpg IMG_20220311_204431.jpg IMG_20220311_204138.jpg IMG_20220311_204058.jpgIMG_20220311_203902.jpg Screenshot_2022-03-11-20-29-16-93.jpg of Australian fauna...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-11-20-40-04-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-11-20-40-04-00.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, and @Jay, we dunt call our boots Wellingtons. You really do have to learn the language. They are gumboots. We even have gumboot throwing competitions.
Nor do we wear 'flip-flops"... And most certainly not thongs, at least not on our feet. They are called jandals. And no, we don't have thong throwing competitions. That my friend is purely an Australian pastime.
Yeah @Jay Ross get it straight. Gumboots and jandals. You can keep your Wellingtons and thongs for your private setting...lol

Reactions: Brakelite

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So @Backlit, if you are such a romanticising NZ person why are you still living in Aussie land. What is so wrong with NZ for you not to be living there?

Perhaps there is a reason for this?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So @Backlit, if you are such a romanticising NZ person why are you still living in Aussie land. What is so wrong with NZ for you not to be living there?

Perhaps there is a reason for this?
Lol. All my life I swore black and blue that I would never set as much as a little toe on Australian soil. Thing is though I forgot to teach my kids this morsel of wisdom. They came here first and demandedi join them. That was 5 years ago. And I love it here. But I'm still a kiwi.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol. All my life I swore black and blue that I would never set as much as a little toe on Australian soil. Thing is though I forgot to teach my kids this morsel of wisdom. They came here first and demanded I join them. That was 5 years ago. And I love it here. But I'm still a kiwi.

What our little interaction is that within the English speaking world, there is a very wide variation in the lingo between the various places, even when they are separated by a county or two or states and countries.

Just as the various language translations helped unify a particular translation language, time also causes new language variations to develop as people separated out into diverse locations.

Children also have developed their own version of English in our respective cases so that we as parents really have no idea what they are saying.

Today Microsoft, and other computer program companies, can be credited with forcing "the limited America English" on many people with their word processing packages that suggest ways of expressing ourselves, words to use to describe different things etc. and grammar construction.

In fact they are responsible for dumbing people down such that they are now incapable of spelling words that have more than two or three syllable in them.

Now we know that when a NZ'er says "6" it does to the Aussie's ear sound like "sex."

It is these differences in pronunciation of words that make English a difficult language to navigate at the best of times.

Last edited: