NKJV or NASB?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
After comparing various translations (ESV, NASB, KJV, NKJV, and HCSB) and all of your help (thanks) I've decided that I would like for my new Study Bible to be either the NKJV or NASB translation.

I really love a lot about both of them and am having a hard time deciding between the two.

So in your opinion, which of those two translation is the better one to use on a daily basis as a Study Bible?

Thank you for your help and patience.

TripleB

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The two you mentioned are my most used Bibles.
I use the NKJV for simple daily reading of the Bible, it flows better. I use NASB for study, it is a more literal translation.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NASB is a good translation of a good text - if you're using the Bible primarily for study, then I'd use the NASB. However, the great downside to the NASB is that since it seeks to be so [almost] absolute in its translation of the Hebrew and Greek, it makes for a difficult read due to the adherence to foreign word order (for us). If you plan on using this Bible in church or at other occasions that require oral reading, I would suggest the ESV (or even HCSB) over it any day. I only own one hardcopy of the NASB and I rarely consult it for this reason. I am an English major, so reading and understanding it is a nonissue for me, but I stumble over the words when read aloud. Additionally, I feel like I'm translating the translation sometimes when I am trying to explain it to others, which was the same thing I had to do with the KJV.

The NKJV relies on the Byzantine text. You'll find many here who advocate the Byzantine tradition - be it the old Textus Receptus or the Majority Text. The NKJV is consistently one of my top versions for study, but again I much prefer the ESV, HCSB, and even sometimes NRSV to it because of the still archaic language.

My personal drawbacks for both of these versions are the same - neither does particularly well in a public setting.

For some better tangibles on translation, I recommend this Lutheran's Pastor and Seminary President's blog. He is in search of a version to replace the NIV11 and he has consider all of the versions you mentioned. He seems to have a higher opinion of the HCSB while he doesn't much care for the ESV. His criticisms of the ESV are valid. However, he also goes into some depth on the NKJV and its issues. I don't think the NASB ever made it on a shortlist because it's probably the most difficult outside of maybe the archaic nature of the KJV.

Link: http://exegete77.wordpress.com/

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
The NASB seems to be a good tanslation, I noticed that it handles 1 John 5:7-8 very accurately. I personally prefer the KJV and the NKJV, but the NASB seems to be good also.

Actually, I have found the Diaglott very helpful for the New Testament and recommend it very highly. (INTERLINEARY WORD FOR WORD ENGLISH TRANSLATION, basically a transliteration)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The real facts are that the NKJV is NOT even a complete Bible from the same manuscripts as the 1611 KJV.

My Christian brethren need to wise up on these Bible translation issues today, because the many modern 'new improved' versions are actually leaving out parts of the original Scriptures while seeking to change others. One student in a Bible study I did with me reading from the 1611 KJV while he was using a NKJV brought consternation upon him because of differences.

So you think a NKJV means the same thing as a 1611 KJV with just an easier read? That's how the NKJV is advertised, but that's baloney.

What I recommend is getting Bible study software like BibleSoft that has many different Bible versions so one can easily compare them, but that ONLY AFTER they have dilligently studied the 1611 KJV first.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I don't think you want either one of those (NKJV or NASB). Check here.

Did you know that the NKJV has harder words than the KJV?

One reason I like the KJV is that it is easier to read. But don't take my word, check it out for yourself.

After you look at these comparisons, you may just say to yourself, "I've got to stop listening to others and check things out for myself."

NKJV-1.jpg

NKJV-2.jpg

NIV-1.jpg

KJ21.jpg

See what I mean! It's a ridiculous argument that the KJV is harder to read.

Here is another good explanation about the readability index. Here

Of course readability without accuracy means nothing, but fortunately the KJV wins on both counts.

Look at the more difficult words in the NASB.
NASB2.jpg

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
If that KJV was good 'nuff for them 'postles, it be good 'nuff for me. It is a translation and subject to translators prejudices. It is for the most part accurate, but one cannot blindly assume any translation is perfect. That being said, I do prefer the KJV over others.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Me too, I'm KJV Preferred, but if I'm in prison I'll read whatever version they give me.