No authority!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one has authority to read or study scripture for himself and form his own doctrine!

We must be taught by the church of Christ!
Lk 1:4 instructed:
Matt 28:19 church of apostles commanded to teach all nations:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one has authority to read or study scripture for himself and form his own doctrine!

Amen! I am seeing a lot of people that could really use a good orthodox instruction of God and the ordinances of Christ and the bible. I'm still learning myself and watching daily mass, but I'm happy that I have a solid foundation brought to me from a good church! I don't usually fall for false doctrine, usually.

Reactions: Marymog

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! I am seeing a lot of people that could really use a good orthodox instruction of God and the ordinances of Christ and the bible. I'm still learning myself and watching daily mass, but I'm happy that I have a solid foundation brought to me from a good church! I don't usually fall for false doctrine, usually.

blessings

Reactions: dev553344

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the lie that has been promoted by the Catholic Church for hundreds of years. Thankfully many former Catholics have seen through this tyranny, and left that church.

lk 1:4 instruction
Matt 28:19 teach
Eph 4:5 thee faith
Jude 1:3 thee faith
Jn 8:32 16:13 church of the apostles have and teach the truth
1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Read More...)

Psalms 119:105 - NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Matthew 4:4 - But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Romans 15:4 - For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

Psalms 119:18 - Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psalms 119:10-11 - With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. (Read More...)

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

1 Peter 2:2 - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 2:7 - Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Read More...)

Psalms 119:105 - NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Matthew 4:4 - But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Romans 15:4 - For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

Psalms 119:18 - Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psalms 119:10-11 - With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. (Read More...)

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

1 Peter 2:2 - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Psalms 1:2 - But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 2:7 - Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

All in and thru His one true church!
We must be taught Lk 1:4 matt 28:19

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Reactions: dev553344

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THERE IS ONLY ONE SAVIOR!
ONE NEW COVENANT CHURCH!
ONE TRUE FAITH!
ONE TRUE GOSPEL!

eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 16:13, Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Here, the Spirit of truth guides us into all truth apart from people in the church.

Also, we are the true church who believe in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The Catholic denomination does not have a monopoly on the truth.

We receive the Holy Spirit by placing our faith in Jesus (Galatians 3:14, Ephesians 1:13-14).

If we have the Holy Spirit He will guide us into all truth.

The Holy Spirit is not the church; although He dwells within the hearts of His people, the true church (all those who believe on Jesus Christ for salvation).

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Now, I wonder which church is the church of Christ? It wouldn't be the Roman Catholic Church by any chance?

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All in and thru His one true church!
We must be taught Lk 1:4 matt 28:19

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

That is fine, if one is Catholic, Episcopal or what other denoms. do not encourage their congregation to read the word. Look at the most honorable of all! The Bereans :) They went home and check the scriptures after every preaching to see if those things were so. I trust no man.
Not "every" teacher should be a teacher, not "every" priest should be a priest, and so on. I think we know why that is, in light of all the child abuse. Kind of have a hard time respecting anything at all coming from the mouth of pedophiles, fornicators and such. And NO, I'm not at all putting this on ONLY Catholics, it's in all denominations.
So, you may go by the authority of your own denom, and so do I as, we are encouraged to always have our bibles open, and to go over it at home.
God Bless brother

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 6
[43] Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.
[44] No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
[45] It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one has authority to read or study scripture for himself...
We ALL have the authority to read and study scripture for ourselves. In fact, we have the responsibility to do that!

...and form his own doctrine!
Right. No one can create their own doctrines. We all must study and discern the doctrines already placed before us in the scriptures. That's what Bible reading and study is for—to learn the doctrines already established in the pages of the Bible, not create new ones.

When we fellowship with other believers—who also read and study the scriptures for themselves—all of us together are the church teaching each other what the scriptures teach.

I hate to say it, but we're at the point now where we can't let an ordained church leader run a fellowship of Bible studying Christians. They can participate in it and lead it in an administrative and control sense, but they cannot be allowed to dictate doctrine. The problem is they are trained in a certain orthodoxy and will only allow discussion and acceptance of doctrine in the vein of what they are already convinced is true and are not open to correction or new learning. They think by virtue of being a church leader they have to be that way and have to have all the answers. They can't perceive that they can be ordained leaders and learn with the rest of us at the same time. I genuinely hurt for them.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is fine, if one is Catholic, Episcopal or what other denoms. do not encourage their congregation to read the word. Look at the most honorable of all! The Bereans :) They went home and check the scriptures after every preaching to see if those things were so. I trust no man.
Not "every" teacher should be a teacher, not "every" priest should be a priest, and so on. I think we know why that is, in light of all the child abuse. Kind of have a hard time respecting anything at all coming from the mouth of pedophiles, fornicators and such. And NO, I'm not at all putting this on ONLY Catholics, it's in all denominations.
So, you may go by the authority of your own denom, and so do I as, we are encouraged to always have our bibles open, and to go over it at home.
God Bless brother
I agree with that. I have some visions years ago that I know are from God without a doubt due to the fruits of the Holy Spirit being intense with them (Galatians 5:22-25). And I'm still struggling on which church to accept because of it. And one of the churches I think I might attend has contradictions to the bible. The other not so much.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with that. I have some visions years ago that I know are from God without a doubt due to the fruits of the Holy Spirit being intense with them (Galatians 5:22-25). And I'm still struggling on which church to accept because of it. And one of the churches I think I might attend has contradictions to the bible. The other not so much.

Hi Devin!
If the fruit of the Spirit was given you in the dream, it had to come from God, sure did not come from evil!
Ah, the lifelong struggle of finding the right local body. It's something I too struggle with greatly. Right now, I do not any longer go to a mainline church. It was not fulfilling to me at all. The preaching was right on but, only went so far. The music was not inspiring, like a rock concert! No fellowship to speak of as everyone is just SOOOO busy after Church :confused: To myself, after services, the whole day should be set aside for fellowship, meals, worship and praise songs, prayer and just plain enjoying each others company. Don't find that in the mainline church's anymore but, I know there are some good ones out there.
God has a church for you bro, pray and watch Him open the doors and I pray that you will recognize the doors He opens...that is what I am doing :)
God Bless brother.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin!
If the fruit of the Spirit was given you in the dream, it had to come from God, sure did not come from evil!
Ah, the lifelong struggle of finding the right local body. It's something I too struggle with greatly. Right now, I do not any longer go to a mainline church. It was not fulfilling to me at all. The preaching was right on but, only went so far. The music was not inspiring, like a rock concert! No fellowship to speak of as everyone is just SOOOO busy after Church :confused: To myself, after services, the whole day should be set aside for fellowship, meals, worship and praise songs, prayer and just plain enjoying each others company. Don't find that in the mainline church's anymore but, I know there are some good ones out there.
God has a church for you bro, pray and watch Him open the doors and I pray that you will recognize the doors He opens...that is what I am doing :)
God Bless brother.

I was awake at the time and I saw two white spirits, Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother and they were presented to me and gave me a message of salvation for me, and I was filled with tremendous love and peace that lasted for a few hours afterwards. It was like I was in heaven with God or something.

But I just now heard a talk from a Catholic priest that mentioned that there was a white spirit or woman of some type that appeared to a woman some long years ago and it was only after pressing God about the visitations of the woman that she was told it was the Virgin Mary.

So I'm now left wondering, does Heavenly Mother mean the Virgin Mary? She might be considered to be our heavenly mother in many ways.

Thanks for your time, Devin.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We ALL have the authority to read and study scripture for ourselves. In fact, we have the responsibility to do that!

Right. No one can create their own doctrines. We all must study and discern the doctrines already placed before us in the scriptures. That's what Bible reading and study is for—to learn the doctrines already established in the pages of the Bible, not create new ones.

When we fellowship with other believers—who also read and study the scriptures for themselves—all of us together are the church teaching each other what the scriptures teach.

I hate to say it, but we're at the point now where we can't let an ordained church leader run a fellowship of Bible studying Christians. They can participate in it and lead it in an administrative and control sense, but they cannot be allowed to dictate doctrine. The problem is they are trained in a certain orthodoxy and will only allow discussion and acceptance of doctrine in the vein of what they are already convinced is true and are not open to correction or new learning. They think by virtue of being a church leader they have to be that way and have to have all the answers. They can't perceive that they can be ordained leaders and learn with the rest of us at the same time. I genuinely hurt for them.
We need to get this memo out to the popes and most leaders of even the protestant realm .
The leaders are their to help lead and guide , but the members are there to help edify as well . All gifts
are meant for the building up of the body . Do you notice how that the original twelve
never exalted one above another . they were as equals . THOUGH they did hold a position of authority in Christ ,,
they never LORDED over the flock . They corrected , rebuked , taught , but never Lorded over the flock .
The leaders are to be EXAMPLES to the flock , not LORDING over the flock .
Did JESUS live better than his flock . By better i mean did he have better clothes , better food .
Did he treat himself better with the money they had been given . Did He have a fancy chariot
and the rest walked . Did he have better shoes and the rest lacked . NO .
So when it is written that one who leads can LIVE off the flock , IT DONT MEAN they are to heap and steap and live BETTER than they flock .
We got us way too many problems with todays leaders . AND SPOT ON RIGHT , we MUST read and learn the scriptures for ourselves .
So as none get led astray by the crafity cunniness of men who so often do decieve in order to have the praise of men .
Did paul live better than the churches , did peter , did james , did stephen , did jude . NOPE .
While they may have lived off a wee tiny part of the funds that came in . REST assured the massive , massive , massive
amount they were given , WENT to take care of those who lacked . I dont see this today .

Reactions: Ferris Bueller