No one is good—except God alone. Really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mark 10:

17And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
The man was sincere about his question. Jesus picked up his usage of the word "good":

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
Did Jesus deny that he was God?

No. In the strict and absolute sense, only God is good. This was the man's perfect opportunity for him to declare that Jesus was God but he didn't know it. So, Jesus continued to teach the man a lesson about goodness:

19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.”
The man thought he was being good. Jesus wanted something deeper:

21And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
He couldn't do it. He couldn't be good in this deep sense of the word.

On the other hand, in a loose sense, people also can be good, Luke 23:

50 Now there was a man named Joseph, from the Jewish town of Arimathea. He was a member of the council, a good and righteous man, 51who had not consented to their decision and action; and he was looking for the kingdom of God.
Even a slave master could be good, 1 Peter 2:

18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
The man could not distinguish between these two senses of being good. Jesus was good in the absolute sense because he obeyed the Good God in everything.

See also

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:

The man was sincere about his question. Jesus picked up his usage of the word "good":

Did Jesus deny that he was God?

No. In the strict and absolute sense, only God is good. This was the man's perfect opportunity for him to declare that Jesus was God but he didn't know it. So, Jesus continued to teach the man a lesson about goodness:

The man thought he was being good. Jesus wanted something deeper:

He couldn't do it. He couldn't be good in this deep sense of the word.

On the other hand, in a loose sense, people also can be good, Luke 23:

Even a slave master could be good, 1 Peter 2:

The man could not distinguish between these two senses of being good. Jesus was good in the absolute sense because he obeyed the Good God in everything.

See also

Jesus said that no one is good but God alone. Jesus knows everything and he doesn't lie. I guess the answer to your question, then, is, "Yes."