No one who puts his hand to the plow and LOOKS BACK is fit for the kingdom of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 9:

61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:

They were of the peasant class, and they knew that the eye of the ploughman if he is to do his work well, must look straight before him at the line of the furrow which he is making. To look back, while working, is to mar the work entirely. The man who so looks is therefore, ipso facto, disqualified for the work of God’s kingdom.
This guy's heart is divided. He is not competent. Jesus demands the best of our efforts to work for him. We should work for Jesus with our whole hearts. I don't think Jesus was particularly against him saying goodbye to the people in his house. Jesus knew his heart was split between Jesus and his family.

See also Let the dead bury their own dead

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 9:

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:

This guy's heart is divided. He is not competent. Jesus demands the best of our efforts to work for him. We should work for Jesus with our whole hearts. I don't think Jesus was particularly against him saying goodbye to the people in his house. Jesus knew his heart was split between Jesus and his family.

See also Let the dead bury their own dead
The New Covenant is based on holiness. Holiness demands that our hearts be undivided. In the higher walk, too much longing for this world causes one to lose the intimate connection with God and breaks the power that keeps us in His holy walk. Jesus was referring to the higher walk in many of His teachings. The plough teaching concerns the heart attitude of one who has become the servant of God. One remains in God's presence by abiding in Christ. If that connection is broken because of sin or mixing holiness with the world (iniquity) then one is cast down to walk as any other human...in his/her own strength.

In this world people have divided hearts as a general rule. That's why so few will ever enter into the narrow gate and walk the narrow way. Why? Because holiness is NOT business as usual.