Non-denominational Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine invited me into a non-denominational church. I’ve never been in any other churches except Eastern Orthodox and Catholic, so this is a first for me.
I checked out their website and they have music, like a band type of music, they have some theater-type plays and they dress in regular clothes with jeans and stuff.
It looks like they have no communion, no incense, no icons and who knows what else.
Any tips I should be aware of as a first-timer?

Thanks.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Enjoy.

My non-denominational church has increased the frequency of communion to the first of the month.

They tend to have sermons that have themes in a series of 3-5 weeks in a row. My guess, is these sermons are more relevant to what is going on in the congregation than the denominations you mentioned.

As you return, you may find the experience more personal. All the best.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine invited me into a non-denominational church. I’ve never been in any other churches except Eastern Orthodox and Catholic, so this is a first for me.
I checked out their website and they have music, like a band type of music, they have some theater-type plays and they dress in regular clothes with jeans and stuff.
It looks like they have no communion, no incense, no icons and who knows what else.

Thanks.
The church I belong to is a bit like that, no trimmings or trappings but solid on teaching. And we do have communion but in a less formal way and simple worship music from our own musicians. No one person is more important than anybody else.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mostly they’re routine, but I’ve had a few very meaningful Communion experiences. Anyway, the Lord’s Supper was one of John Wesley’s Means of Grace, as is “Holy Conversation”, which is what we’re doing now. Bet you didn’t know this was holy!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does "non-denominational" mean exactly? How can you have a bunch of people with different beliefs all coming together as if their differences don't count for anything. Is agreeing to disagree the right thing to do if you merely agree on the foundational things? Does it matter what you believe?

And what if the foundational things are all wrong, and have been from the beginning of the apostasy that Jesus foretold? Where does that leave those who accept them? (Matthew 7:21-23)

Are live bands really a sound inclusion if the music is a substitute for learning? Music elicits emotion, knowledge elicits thinking ability. Which does God want us to have....which are more likely to be easily swayed....by music, or sound Bible education?

What kind of Christians would say that this represents the teachings of Jesus Christ...? How does this praise God?
palm

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Aunty Jane, who has me on ignore anyway because she denies the deity of Christ, & therefore cannot bear to hear my testimony...

you could have at least posted some *quality* Christian rock music.

lyrics:

All fear, all pain, all hurt, all grief, all lies must bow to Jesus' name!
All kings, all thrones, everything that breathes life must bow to Jesus' name!
The earth, the sea, the sun, the stars, the sky must bow to Jesus' name!
Hallelujah!!

there is no one like You my God!
no one like You, my King - there is no one like You
Hallelujah!!

Kings, crowns, thrones, bow down!
Fall face down, bow down!
Kiss the ground, bow down!
Jesus, You hold the crown!
Bow down!

if you can't figure out how that praises God, something is wrong with you.

What kind of Christians would say that this represents the teachings of Jesus Christ...?

Rejoice in the Lord always!
Again I will say, rejoice!

(Philippians 4:4)

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There a only one true church all others are false sects! “Tradition of men” only Christ has authority to found the church
Jn 10:16

the flock that rocks is for the goats
Lambs and sheep prefer calm waters and green pastures

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4
Eph 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Saul was persecuting the church, and Christ said “why persecute me”? Acts 9:4

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 10:16

Jn 15:1-5 Christ united to his apostles (the church) bearing fruit! (The salvation of souls)

The church and the apostles exist by his commands and authority! Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 20:21-23

There is an unbreakable union between Christ and His Holy Church!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 mt 18:17 Mt 28:19 Lk 10:16 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Gates of hell shall NOT PREVAIL!

There is only one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors, it is the new covenant body of Christ! Matt 16:18 One fold
Jn 10:16 the household of faith! Gal 6:10

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Christ and His church are one, what Christ did the church continues to do, the church is an extension of Christ!
To attack the church is to attack Christ!
Acts 9:4 Jn 20:21-23

Eph 5: 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Prophecy of the new covenant church fulfilled in the apostles union with Christ!

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, so send in you. (The apostles) posses the same power mission and authority as Christ!
Peter, the apostles and their successors!

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18
matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23 Isa 22:21-22
eph 2:20

Ephesians 5:24
Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ...

The church is the ark of salvation, to attack the church is to attack salvation!

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

There is only one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors, it is the new covenant body of Christ! Matt 16:18 One fold
Jn 10:16 the household of faith! Gal 6:10

The church is an extension of Christ!
You cannot be united to Christ apart from His holy church!

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks.
enjoy it. Gather together with the body. As long as they are doctrinal sound and are active in discipleship of newer Christians. just enjoy

it will be a culture shock if you are used to traditional church. That does not mean it is bad

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tell me more about this "band type" music before I make a judgment on it. Is the musical part of worship participatory, or passive observance?

Congregational worship should be a participation sport, not a spectator sport. While my church may have one special music offering (the choir, a member with a special musical gift), we try to have at least three participatory hymns.

My sister goes to a Disciples of Christ denominational church. The DoC does not permit instrumental accompaniment with worship music. All worship music is congregational and acapella.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks.
I was brought up in the Anglican church and later became a Christian and was a member of the local one. But after a few years I was hungry for more than the same religious rounds and traditions and joined an non-denominational church where I found the freedom to enjoy God in worship and fellowship with others in a more relaxed way without the trappings and traditions. I loved it and grew so much because they weren't restricted by what they were allowed or not allowed. But they were solid.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Tell me more about this "band type" music before I make a judgment on it. Is the musical part of worship participatory, or passive observance?

Congregational worship should be a participation sport, not a spectator sport. While my church may have one special music offering (the choir, a member with a special musical gift), we try to have at least three participatory hymns.

My sister goes to a Disciples of Christ denominational church. The DoC does not permit instrumental accompaniment with worship music. All worship music is congregational and acapella.
I once went to a church where the room was almost in darkness whilst the muscians took centre stage with a rock concert feel to it - I didn't like it. Musicians are supposed to lead the worship and cause us to look at Jesus, not promote themselves

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does "non-denominational" mean exactly? How can you have a bunch of people with different beliefs all coming together as if their differences don't count for anything. Is agreeing to disagree the right thing to do if you merely agree on the foundational things? Does it matter what you believe?

And what if the foundational things are all wrong, and have been from the beginning of the apostasy that Jesus foretold? Where does that leave those who accept them? (Matthew 7:21-23)

Are live bands really a sound inclusion if the music is a substitute for learning? Music elicits emotion, knowledge elicits thinking ability. Which does God want us to have....which are more likely to be easily swayed....by music, or sound Bible education?

What kind of Christians would say that this represents the teachings of Jesus Christ...? How does this praise God?
palm
a non denomination church is just a church that gets rid of denominational type things. The do not wish to be associated with any denomination because of denominational bias. they just wish to meet as a body and spread the word and fellowship.

As for bands. I played in a band, It was not exclusive. We had the words on the screen for all to see. those who wanted to sin could sing, those who did not did not have to.

all the songs where either hymns or music you hear on christian radio. so most of them are known the congregation. (unless you listen to secular music only) and many of them have deep spiritual meaning.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
a non denomination church is just a church that gets rid of denominational type things. The do not wish to be associated with any denomination because of denominational bias. they just wish to meet as a body and spread the word and fellowship.

As for bands. I played in a band, It was not exclusive. We had the words on the screen for all to see. those who wanted to sin could sing, those who did not did not have to.

all the songs where either hymns or music you hear on christian radio. so most of them are known the congregation. (unless you listen to secular music only) and many of them have deep spiritual meaning.
The church I belong to was formed as people who were dissatisfied with the restrictions of the traditional churches and of many denominations joined together to try to live as the early church is describer in Acts. We had people from almost every denomination you can think of.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful