Obedience of you all...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 2:9, For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.

2Co 7:15, And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him.

It should go without saying that it is possible to obey the Lord in all things.

This is in contrast to the teaching that I sometimes hear in the church today, wherein pastors say from their pulpits, that it is inevitable that you are going to sin.

I know that my own past is not exemplary; but this does not have to mean that my present and future will necessarily be a failure when it comes to living out the Christian life.

No doubt, it is the attitude of the perfect that I have not apprehended that for which Christ has taken hold of me; but bear in mind that it is the attitude of the perfect: and that to the measure we have already attained, we must live by the same rule. We ought to be continually moving forward in our Christian walk; and not backsliding backward. Once we have made a step forward, let us not take any steps backward.

In 2 Corinthians 7:15, Paul commends the Corinthians for the obedience of them all; whereas previously he had given them a test to determine whether they were obedient in all things. This indicates to me that they were obedient in all things.

It is indeed possible to live the sanctified Christian life; to obtain that state wherein one may be sanctified wholly. 1 Thessalonians 5:24 says, Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

The Lord has shed abroad His love in the heart of the man who is born again. And this love is the fulfilling of the law; and the bond of perfectness. It is written (1 John 2:10) that if I love my brother, there is no occasion of stumbling in me. And it is also written (2 Peter 1:10) that if I give diligence to make my calling and election sure, I will never fall.

Now these things are not speaking of justification but sanctification, which takes place after we are justified. Our justification resides in the forgiveness of our sins (Romans 4:6-8); and because we are forgiven much we will love much (Luke 7:36-50, 1 John 4:19, Romans 5:5); and this love, which is not in word or in tongue only but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18) is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 8:4, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6).

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 2:9, For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.

2Co 7:15, And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him.

This is in contrast to the teaching that I sometimes hear in the church today, wherein pastors say from their pulpits, that it is inevitable that you are going to sin.

I know that my own past is not exemplary; but this does not have to mean that my present and future will necessarily be a failure when it comes to living out the Christian life.

No doubt, it is the attitude of the perfect that I have not apprehended that for which Christ has taken hold of me; but bear in mind that it is the attitude of the perfect: and that to the measure we have already attained, we must live by the same rule. We ought to be continually moving forward in our Christian walk; and not backsliding backward. Once we have made a step forward, let us not take any steps backward.

In 2 Corinthians 7:15, Paul commends the Corinthians for the obedience of them all; whereas previously he had given them a test to determine whether they were obedient in all things. This indicates to me that they were obedient in all things.

It is indeed possible to live the sanctified Christian life; to obtain that state wherein one may be sanctified wholly. 1 Thessalonians 5:24 says, Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

The Lord has shed abroad His love in the heart of the man who is born again. And this love is the fulfilling of the law. it is written (1 John 2:10) that if I love my brother, there is no occasion of stumbling in me. And it is also written (2 Peter 1:10) that if I give diligence to make my calling and election sure, I will never fall.

Now these things are not speaking of justification but sanctification, which takes place after we are justified. Our justification resides in the forgiveness of our sins (Romans 4:6-8); and because we are forgiven much we will love much (Luke 7:36-50, 1 John 4:19, Romans 5:5); and this love, which is not in word or in tongue only but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18) is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 8:4, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6).

You are preaching Total Sanctification, which is a false doctrine.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is scripture for it; and therefore it is faithful doctrine.

Commentary on Romans.

Paul speaks extensively on the issue. He spells out the goal but makes it clear we do not achieve it in this lifetime.

As he puts it he struggles every day to attain it but fails every day.

He speaks extensively about the war between our old nature and new nature.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the scripture says, "You will not carry out the desires of the flesh," he emphasizes, "so the desire of the flesh is still there" which is in effect opposite to the message of the verse; which tells us that we do not have to carry it out.

Other than that, what he said is not in contradiction to anything that I have said in the OP.

Reactions: Hisman

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul speaks extensively on the issue. He spells out the goal but makes it clear we do not achieve it in this lifetime.

As he puts it he struggles every day to attain it but fails every day.

He speaks extensively about the war between our old nature and new nature.

Both Jesus and Paul and John speak of being sanctified wholly, as well as does the author of Hebrews (and I think James and Jude touch on it as well). It is not set forth as a goal that is unattainable, but as a goal to be reached after.

Heb 10:14, For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15, These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pro 4:18, But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

If we keep shining brighter, it is not impossible that we should at some point reach the level of highest brightness:

1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1Jo 3:3, And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

1Jo 2:6, He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both Jesus and Paul and John speak of being sanctified wholly, as well as does the author of Hebrews (and I think James and Jude touch on it as well). It is not set forth as a goal that is unattainable, but as a goal to be reached after.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15, These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

We are judged faultless when we are born again: past, present and future

They were not talking about being sinless but OSAS.

Reactions: tzcho2

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The Lord has shed abroad His love in the heart of the man who is born again. And this love is the fulfilling of the law. it is written (1 John 2:10) that if I love my brother, there is no occasion of stumbling in me. And it is also written (2 Peter 1:10) that if I give diligence to make my calling and election sure, I will never fall.

You are inspired in this thread brother....good to see! :)

Reactions: justbyfaith

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are preaching Total Sanctification, which is a false doctrine.

Actually anything less than total sanctification as the goal is to frustrate the grace of God. God gives us grace so that we can fully do His will. His grace is SUFFICIENT for the task of a full sanctification.

Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are judged faultless when we are born again: past, present and future

They were not talking about being sinless but OSAS.

Kind of like through rose-colored glasses, huh? We are presented faultless when we are not really faultless? I think you missed the part about Him keeping us from falling.

But he said the same thing Paul did. So if he was false Paul was false.

Paul ministered entire sanctification in his letters. I already mentioned what the man (not Paul, mind you) did that makes him false:

When the scripture says, "You will not carry out the desires of the flesh," he emphasizes, "so the desire of the flesh is still there" which in effect undermines the message of the verse; which tells us that we do not have to carry it out.

Other than that, what he said is not in contradiction to anything that I have said in the OP.
I am positive you didn't watch one of video I posted on the issue of the KJV.

I did, I think even all of them. They were unconvincing.

Last edited: