Observing The Old Testament Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, I've confessed and repented therefore i want to respect Gods holy day the Sabbath, however I'm confused as there is a lot of controversy over whether Christians today of the new testament are to continue the observation of the old testament Sabbath. Exodus 20:8 tells us to observe the Lords holy day the Sabbath, but in the link below amongst othere sources and bible debates it suggests the OT Sabbath is no longer relevant? Is this another trick of Satan to twist God's word away from us? Or are we to continue with the OT Sabbath.

What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday? Do Christians have to observe the Sabbath day? | GotQuestions.org

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it's not "the opposite," really, Inexplicable. It's just... made better, in the words of the writer of Hebrews. By God Himself, in the Person of Jesus.

Grace and peace to you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EA9B5859-5A6D-406F-B820-53F93CB7B1FD.jpeg Hello @Inexplicable,

The Sabbath day is fulfilled with-in the Lord Jesus Christ ( I see him as our Sabbath Rest and we rest in all the work that he has done!) , however will share with you all the scriptures pertaining to this day okay?

General References to Sabbath
[See Genesis 2:3; Exodus 16:23; Pslam 118:24; Matthew 12:1; Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27; Hebrews 4:4]

Keeping of Enjoyed - Sabbath observance
[See Exodus 20:8; Exodus 31:15; Exodus 34:21; Exodus 35:3; Leviticus 26:2; deuteronomy 5:12; Nehemiah 10:31; Isaiah 56:2; Isaiah 58:13; Isaiah 58:14

Lawful to do good deeds, on Sabbath
[See Matthew 12:12;Mark 6:2; Luke 6:6; John 5:9; John 7:23; John 9:14; Acts 16:13; Acts 17:2; Acts 18:4]

Desecration of, under the Mosaic Law (Sabbath Desecration)

[See exodus 16:27; Exodus 16:28; Exodus 31:14; Numbers 15:32; Numbers 15:35; Nehemiah 15:25; Nehemiah 13:15; Jeremiah 17:27; Ezekiel 20:13; Ezekiel 22:8; Ezekiel 22:15]

First day of the week, Events that occurred on.
[See Mark 16:9; Luke 24:13-15; John 20:19; Acts 20:7]

A Spiritual revelation made to John
[See Revelation 1:10-11]

Credits - Thompson Chain Reference Bible. ( I could have messed up some of them either way very handle bible source to check out ).

God bless.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...however I'm confused as there is a lot of controversy over whether Christians today of the new testament are to continue the observation of the old testament Sabbath.
There's no need to be confused. The Christian Sabbath is "the Lord's Day" (Rev 1:10). Which is the first day of the week (commonly called Sunday). The OT Sabbath is still observed by unbelieving Jews (and Seventh Day Baptists and Adventists). Perhaps some believing Jews also, who wish to hang on to Moses. But the apostle Paul told us that the Sabbath days were "shadows" because the reality is Christ and His finished work of redemption.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, I've confessed and repented therefore i want to respect Gods holy day the Sabbath, however I'm confused as there is a lot of controversy over whether Christians today of the new testament are to continue the observation of the old testament Sabbath. Exodus 20:8 tells us to observe the Lords holy day the Sabbath, but in the link below amongst othere sources and bible debates it suggests the OT Sabbath is no longer relevant? Is this another trick of Satan to twist God's word away from us? Or are we to continue with the OT Sabbath.

What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday? Do Christians have to observe the Sabbath day? | GotQuestions.org
The sabbath was made for us - not us for the sabbath (Mark 2:27). We need a day of rest each week. I think it's wrong to insist it be any particular day. What if hospitals, firefighters, and police refused to work on Saturday or Sunday?

Reactions: Nancy

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

Wednesday if that is the only day off from work, some people work 7 days a week so are they breaking the sabbath commandment of coarse not.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the "OT Sabbath" because it was observed by God's Church in the NT, and true Christians have been observing it ever since. It is simply the Sabbath.

Reactions: Brakelite

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

If those commanding a Sabbath today were actually keeping the Lord's Sabbath as written in the OT, then that would be one thing.

But the pseudo sabbath they keep has built in exceptions to work in order to conform to modern 24/7 industrial, commercial, emergency, law enforcement, and military society.

They also include corban indulgences for the offering plate, after getting paid for working on their sabbath.

If anyone is actually claiming to keep the Lord's Sabbath of old, then I'd like to know who.

Other than that, sabbath and other holy days are by personal faith only, not by commandment of Jesus Christ.

If you read an apostle after the resurrection of Jesus, commanding us to keep a sabbath, or rebuking Christians for not doing so or profaning a sabbath, let me know.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no need to be confused. The Christian Sabbath is "the Lord's Day" (Rev 1:10). Which is the first day of the week (commonly called Sunday). The OT Sabbath is still observed by unbelieving Jews (and Seventh Day Baptists and Adventists). Perhaps some believing Jews also, who wish to hang on to Moses. But the apostle Paul told us that the Sabbath days were "shadows" because the reality is Christ and His finished work of redemption.
Colossians 2:16 - Therefore, no one is to act as your judge in regard to food and drink, or in respect to a festival or a new moon, or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 31:15
Whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 31:15
Whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death.
Written to the Israelites under the law. God's word makes it clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

If the sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to (Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3 and Numbers 15:32-36), anyone who profaned the sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people. Now who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? Perhaps the Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the old covenant of law, no sabbatarian today can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Written to the Israelites under the law. God's word makes it clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

If the sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to (Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3 and Numbers 15:32-36), anyone who profaned the sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people. Now who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? Perhaps the Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the old covenant of law, no sabbatarian today can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.
Very true. I was just pointing out one of the Sabbath COMMANDS.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Observance of the routine seventh day is mandatory for Jews, whereas
according to the 14th chapter of the epistle to Romans; the observance of
holy days is optional for Christians.
_

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Observance of the routine seventh day is mandatory for Jews...

As mandated by God and effective only prior to the resurrection of Jesus, God's Christ, yes. other Jews who deny Jesus is God's Christ, yes.

according to the 14th chapter of the epistle to Romans; the observance of
holy days is optional for Christians.
This is a very disparate thing, WH. You don't think Paul nullified Commandment 4 in Romans 14, do you?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't think Paul nullified Commandment 4 in Romans 14, do you?

The Jews' routine day of rest is a "covenanted" day which didn't exist as a
holy day of obligation until the pact that Moses' people agreed upon with
God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, viz: neither Adam,
nor Noah, nor Abraham, nor Isaac, nor Jacob were required to practice the
Jews' day of rest, ergo: the seventh day isn't universal; it is something
special with God and the Jews; plus it reminds them that the cosmos--
all its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the result of intelligent design.

Ex 31:16-17 . .The children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe
the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a
sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days The Lord
made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was
refreshed.
_

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If anyone is actually claiming to keep the Lord's Sabbath of old, then I'd like to know who.

I can show you Thousands.
Just come to my Country : Israel.
And from Friday at 3pm till about 6-6:30p on Saturday, if you get in a car and drive anywhere near the Old City ,( Jerusalem) you will seen hundreds, if not Thousands of Religious "Shabbat obsessed" Christ rejecting Jews (Hebrews ) on the street, standing, or walking, or in groups, all dressed in black... who will be screaming at you.

"Its SHABBAT, SHABBAT, SHABBAT".. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Jews' routine day of rest is a "covenanted" day which didn't exist as a
holy day of obligation until the pact that Moses' people agreed upon with
God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, viz: neither Adam,
nor Noah, nor Abraham, nor Isaac, nor Jacob were required to practice the
Jews' day of rest, ergo: the seventh day isn't universal; it is something
special with God and the Jews; plus it reminds them that the cosmos--
all its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the result of intelligent design.

Ex 31:16-17 . .The children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe
the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a
sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days The Lord
made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was
refreshed.
_
None of this seems to answer my question, Webers_Home. I would pose the same question to you: Do you think Paul nullified Commandment 4 in Romans 14? I still would say that what Paul says in Romans 14, that "(o)ne person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike... (e)ach one should be fully convinced in his own mind... (t)he one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord," while very much related, does not nullify Commandment 4 in any way.

But to at least part of what you say here, we read in the first few verses of Genesis 2, especially verses 2 and 3, that God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when He rested from all His work of creation. So I would say that the Sabbath was what it was from creation, not just after "the pact that Moses' people agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy" (not to mention that it was never a mutual "pact" at all but a command of God). And I would further be inclined to think that God informed Adam directly of this even before the Fall of Genesis 3 ~ although there's no way to verify that or really know, because it is not in Scripture ~ and it was passed down from generation to generation thereafter.

And, since God did bless the seventh day and declare it holy at creation, I would argue that it assuredly is universal. But certainly, He codified this command in the Law given through Moses to the Israelites, so we would agree on that.

Anyway, not to start any kind of argument or debate, really; just interesting conversation, really.

Grace and peace to you.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think Paul nullified Commandment 4 in Romans 14?

The apostle Paul had this to say about the Jews' religion:

"Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all. Rather, we uphold the
law." (Rom 3:31)

Although a routine day of rest remains codified for Judaism, there has never
been a routine day of rest codified for Christianity-- the same goes for
Abraham's circumcision. The ritual remains codified for Judaism, but has never
been codified for Christianity.

BTW: These very kinds of questions were debated by the Jerusalem Council
in the book of Acts, and discussed at length by the apostle Paul in the letter
to Galatians.
_

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can show you Thousands.
Just come to my Country : Israel.
And from Friday at 3pm till about 6-6:30p on Saturday, if you get in a car and drive anywhere near the Old City ,( Jerusalem) you will seen hundreds, if not Thousands of Religious "Shabbat obsessed" Christ rejecting Jews (Hebrews ) on the street, standing, or walking, or in groups, all dressed in black... who will be screaming at you.

"Its SHABBAT, SHABBAT, SHABBAT".. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was sort of looking for any Christian who claims it on this site.

But, as you show, the Jews religion, that the Jewish Christians escape from, is still just as proud and vain as ever.

I would say this qualifies alongside a fasting show:

Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Don't just shabbat, but show it!!!!

Ever see any tourists walking around smiling and taking photos of them as at a zoo? I would.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

.The apostle Paul had this to say about the Jews' religion:

"Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all. Rather, we uphold the
law." (Rom 3:31)

Although a routine day of rest remains codified for Judaism, there has never
been a routine day of rest codified for Christianity-- the same goes for
Abraham's circumcision. The ritual remains codified for Judaism, but has never
been codified for Christianity.

BTW: These very kinds of questions were debated by the Jerusalem Council
in the book of Acts, and discussed at length by the apostle Paul in the letter
to Galatians.
Hm. Well, Webers_Home, I'm not sure we have the same understanding of who true Jews really are, who makes up God's Israel. God's Israel and physical Israel are... not the same. Paul is very clear about it through all his letters.

Grace and peace to you.