Observing The Old Testament Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

.The apostle Paul had this to say about the Jews' religion:

"Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all. Rather, we uphold the
law." (Rom 3:31)

Although a routine day of rest remains codified for Judaism, there has never
been a routine day of rest codified for Christianity-- the same goes for
Abraham's circumcision. The ritual remains codified for Judaism, but has never
been codified for Christianity.

BTW: These very kinds of questions were debated by the Jerusalem Council
in the book of Acts, and discussed at length by the apostle Paul in the letter
to Galatians.
_
At this time the Jews religion called Judaism is as false as any other religion of man, that rejects Jesus as the Christ.

Such Jews are vailed with that of Moses when reading Scripture, even as Muslims are vailed with Mohammed.

In Ezekiel, The Lord Himself will once again bring circumcision, sabbaths, and even animal sacrifices for sin back to the natural seed of Abraham, finally giving to Abraham the land promised him from Euphrates to the Red Sea.

They will for the first time become a peculiar people and priesthood on earth, making intercession not just for themselves, but for all natural people during the reign of Christ. This was originally rejected by them, when the God of Israel first offered it to them all by voice from Sinai.

At that time hey put forth Moses only to speak with God on their behalf, and the unbelieving Jews today still do the same.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
NKJ Malachi 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I do not change....

CJB Hebrews 13:8 Yeshua the Messiah is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Gen. 2:2-3 NKJ
2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

I believe the Word of God is truth. Let every matter be established by 2 - 3 witnesses.

There is not one scripture that says the Sabbath day has changed. Yeshua is from the beginning as all things were created by and through Him.

GOD DOES NOT CHANGE

Shalom

Reactions: Brakelite

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NKJ Malachi 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I do not change....

CJB Hebrews 13:8 Yeshua the Messiah is the same yesterday, today and forever.

2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

I believe the Word of God is truth. Let every matter be established by 2 - 3 witnesses.

There is not one scripture that says the Sabbath day has changed. Yeshua is from the beginning as all things were created by and through Him.

GOD DOES NOT CHANGE

Shalom
The Sabbath of the Lord as given in the law of Moses has not changed. It's just no longer commanded in the Law of Christ.

That sabbath that christians say they are keeping as by law, is not even the Lord's Sabbath, because they fill there sabbath with exemptions for working in modern 24/7 economies.

Are you saying you are keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to the law, with no exception for ever working thereon?

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Sabbath of the Lord as given in the law of Moses has not changed. It's just no longer commanded in the Law of Christ.

That sabbath that christians say they are keeping as by law, is not even the Lord's Sabbath, because they fill there sabbath with exemptions for working in modern 24/7 economies.

Are you saying you are keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to the law, with no exception for ever working thereon?

1) "Sabbath of the Lord given to Moses". Yeshua is the word of God. The very same word that God gave to Moses. There is not one scripture verse that says the there is a Law of Moses and a Law of Christ it's the same Law. Yeshua does not change as He said Himself in Heb 13:8

2) There are no different Sabbaths. There is not one scripture verse that teaches the there are different Sabbaths. In the Bible the only day of the week that was given a name was the 7th day and it was called the Sabbath Gen 2:2-3. All the other days of the week were counted day 1, day 2, day 3 etc. They were on a totally different calendar as our modern day calendar the Gregorian Calendar is 3 - 4 centuries old not real long in the scheme of things. There is not one verse that says there is a Jewish Sabbath and a Christian Sabbath. One also needs to know the meaning of the word Sabbath in the original Hebrew text.

3) "Are you saying you are keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to Law"? I am doing what the Bible teaches.

One needs to know what keeping means in the original text of the Bible.

Again there is not one scripture that says the Sabbaths have been changed. Now the Lord's day (the day Yeshua was resurrected) does not mean in any way that the Sabbath was changed to that day. No where does the New Testament state this, it just means Yeshua was resurrected on that day. Which totally agrees and coincides with God's feast days as laid out in Lev 23. Yeshua died on Passover (a feast day) He was resurrected on the feast of first fruits also in Lev 23. Being the firstfruits from the dead. The Holy Spirit was poured out on the Feast of Weeks which in Greek is Pentecost another feast day in Lev 23. The return of Messiah will coincide with the last three feast in Lev 23 being the Feast of Trumpets, The Day of Atonement and the Feast of Tabernacles (The Wedding Supper of the Lamb).

Now the doctrines of men will and do teach that the Sabbath has changed and there is a different Sabbath this is a totally anti-Semitic doctrine, which in my opinion is the doctrine of demons. Think about this for a moment if God said to do one thing and then all of a sudden this changes to do something that is against what He instructed to do (the God that does not change) I wonder where that might come from. God's instructions are to bless us and protect us. Now the Law does not save or redeem us that is only done by the shed blood of the Passover Lamb Yeshua. The Law blesses us. Yeshua said in John 14:15 "If you love me, keep My commandments (Laws). Well friends I love Yeshua and I do my best to keep them not for salvation but because I love Him. When Yeshua said this the New Testament and the letters of Paul were not written yet and the New Testament wasn't even compiled into a "book" until centuries later. So what commandments? Well there is only one lot and they are the instructions of Yahweh.

One needs to also understand the Lord's day and The Day of the Lord are two different things altogether. Yeshua Himself observed the Sabbath day and the feasts His whole life, Yeshua was Jewish of the household of David from the Tribe of Judah as did the Apostles. All the Apostles were Jewish. Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin. Paul bears witness several times in His letters especially Acts and in Corinthians, that he kept the 7th day Sabbath and the Feasts, nothing changed. Decades after the death and resurrection of our Messiah.

To sum up God does not change, His word has not changed. Yeshua is the word and He is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Law given to Moses by God is God's word period. The God of the Old Testament is the same God of the New Testament. The God of Israel, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Not one scripture teaches that the Sabbath was changed from the 7th day to any other day. If that is true well then God is a God that is a liar and makes mistakes and is not faithful to His word and cannot be trusted. As it would mean that He changes. I know it is confrontational, I used to be one that spoke out against what I am saying here. I repented, God forgave me and now I do what He teaches in His word as much as I understand that to be and I am growing daily in that right from Gen 1:1 through to Rev 22:21.

NKJ Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble.

I mean does this sound like being bound up and bad. This was from David a man after God's own heart.

By the way the Book of Revelation cannot be understood without an understanding of the feasts of Yahweh (not Jewish feasts) but Yahweh's feast Lev 23:2 and a Hebrew Wedding and also the Hebrew prophets who were all Israelites from the tribes of Israel.

Shalom

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) "Sabbath of the Lord given to Moses". Yeshua is the word of God. The very same word that God gave to Moses. There is not one scripture verse that says the there is a Law of Moses and a Law of Christ it's the same Law. Yeshua does not change as He said Himself in Heb 13:8

False: For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Both the law and the priesthood made under that law, is changed from that of Moses and Aaron, to that of Christ our high priest forever.

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Like unbelieving Jews, you still read Scripture with the vail of Moses over your heart, which is why you still try to keep a Sabbath as by law. Until you turn to the law of Christ written by His apostles, you will not be free from pretending you are keeping the law of Moses.

Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

The sacrifices of a worldly sanctuary were by law, not by expedience.

1) Yeshua does not change as He said Himself in Heb 13:8

God does not change, even when He became a man. But He can certainly change His law in any way, and at any time He wants. He's the Lawgiver, not us.

Ands according to Ezekiel, He will once again have the law of Moses given again for the natural seed of Abraham in the land promised to him from Euphrates to the Red Sea.

2) There are no different Sabbaths.

True. The one Christians say they are keeping today is a phony pretense with built in exceptions for working on their pseudo-sabbath, as well as Corban indulgences for the offering plate from their pay.

3) "Are you saying you are keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to Law"? I am doing what the Bible teaches.

Once more. So you never allow for doing any work on your sabbath day?

One needs to know what keeping means in the original text of the Bible.

Keeping means doing means obeying. I don't play semantics. Nor do I need to go to original languages to know what my language is saying. I'm not a Muslim, that must read Arabic to know the true teachings of Mohammed.

Now the Lord's day (the day Yeshua was resurrected) does not mean in any way that the Sabbath was changed to that day.

Since I do not keep the Lord's Sabbath as by law, then it doesn't matter which day that would be. No day is any better nor worse to me, except for Sunday, when I go to church, and I don't go to work, because I know longer need to. I'm not in the military anymore.

One needs to also understand the Lord's day and The Day of the Lord are two different things altogether.

Fine by me.
By the way the Book of Revelation cannot be understood without an understanding of the feasts of Yahweh (not Jewish feasts) but Yahweh's feast Lev 23:2 and a Hebrew Wedding and also the Hebrew prophets who were all Israelites from the tribes of Israel.
Shalom

I understand many things in Revelation, without even thinking of Lev 23. I understand that the marriage supper of the Lamb and His bride is Jesus Christ with His New Jerusalem, which is the ministerial mother of all His church and body.

It could be interesting to see how Lev 23 enlightens more of Revelations.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
False: For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Both the law and the priesthood made under that law, is changed from that of Moses and Aaron, to that of Christ our high priest forever.

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Like unbelieving Jews, you still read Scripture with the vail of Moses over your heart, which is why you still try to keep a Sabbath as by law. Until you turn to the law of Christ written by His apostles, you will not be free from pretending you are keeping the law of Moses.

Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

The sacrifices of a worldly sanctuary were by law, not by expedience.

God does not change, even when He became a man. But He can certainly change His law in any way, and at any time He wants. He's the Lawgiver, not us.

Ands according to Ezekiel, He will once again have the law of Moses given again for the natural seed of Abraham in the land promised to him from Euphrates to the Red Sea.

True. The one Christians say they are keeping today is a phony pretense with built in exceptions for working on their pseudo-sabbath, as well as Corban indulgences for the offering plate from their pay.

Once more. So you never allow for doing any work on your sabbath day?

Keeping means doing means obeying. I don't play semantics. Nor do I need to go to original languages to know what my language is saying. I'm not a Muslim, that must read Arabic to know the true teachings of Mohammed.

Since I do not keep the Lord's Sabbath as by law, then it doesn't matter which day that would be. No day is any better nor worse to me, except for Sunday, when I go to church, and I don't go to work, because I know longer need to. I'm not in the military anymore.

Fine by me.

I understand many things in Revelation, without even thinking of Lev 23. I understand that the marriage supper of the Lamb and His bride is Jesus Christ with His New Jerusalem, which is the ministerial mother of all His church and body.

It could be interesting to see how Lev 23 enlightens more of Revelations.

Ok friend you have your views and I have mine I am not going to pull you down. I was asked my position so I gave it to what the scriptures say. The God I serve and worship does not change. I know without any doubt that the Sabbath is the 7th day and was never changed. That the Law is not the Law of Moses or Aaron but the Law of God our creator. That the 2 greatest commandments Love the LORD (Yahweh) the God of Israel with all your heart, mind soul and strength, and to love your neighbor as your self both direct quotes from the Law, on these hangs the rest of the Law and prophets. Yeshua taught this, He actually advocates for the Law by this teaching alone and many others as He fulfilled all righteousness and without sin. The Law reveals what sin is. Yeshua was without sin meaning He kept the Law 100% and is our example. He will say to some depart from me you who practice lawlessness. What does that mean to a 1st Century person? A lawless person is exactly that one without law. One also needs to understand that the "Oral Law" of the Pharisees and Sadducees is not the same as the Law of God. The Öral Law" are also man's doctrines.

Yes the priesthood did change but His original plan was they were supposed to be a whole nation of priests, a holy nation, but because of their sin of the golden calf this is why the tribe of Levi was set aside for that role. God is in the process of restoring all things and this is why Peter teaches this in his letter that we will all become a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special treasure. This is what God said of the nation of Israel the Israelites they were supposed to be this people, but failed over and over again just as we do, praise God for His mercy and grace that is anew everday. Thank you Yeshua for your shed blood that Cleanses us from our sins. May we be able to endure until the return of our Messiah.

NKJ Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.

I mean does this sound like being bound up and bad. This was from David a man after God's own heart.

Again I understand your position and frustrations as I was exactly the same. May Yahweh guide you by His Spirit as you continue to read and study His life giving word. Please try and remember the Bible was written in the Hebrew language, within a Hebrew culture. Our God is the God of the Hebrews and He chose to manifest as a Jew (literally) from the Tribe of Judah in the person of Yeshua our Messiah. This is what my Bible says. Our Bibles must be read with this in mind and not from a denominational man made bias (doctrine) nor from a 21st century Greco/Roman mindset which is often quite different from a Hebrew mindset (the author's and writers of our Bibles)

Shalom

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I understand your position and frustrations as I was exactly the same. May Yahweh guide you by His Spirit as you continue to read and study His life giving word. Please try and remember the Bible was written in the Hebrew language, within a Hebrew culture. Our God is the God of the Hebrews and He chose to manifest as a Jew (literally) from the Tribe of Judah in the person of Yeshua our Messiah. This is what my Bible says. Our Bibles must be read with this in mind and not from a denominational man made bias (doctrine) nor from a 21st century Greco/Roman mindset which is often quite different from a Hebrew mindset (the author's and writers of our Bibles)

Shalom
Not agreeing on keeping the Lord's Sabbath as by law, is nothing. I expect it.

My only question to you was if you are actually a professing Christian that actually keeps it as written:

Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

This includes working at home.

My only frustration is getting a straight answer from you.

Do you ever make exceptions for working on your sabbath days, like all these other posers who have built in exceptions to work on their sabbaths in modern economies.

Yes or no?

One who is keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to the Scripture, would not so much as hesitate, and say of course not! I do not profane the Lord's Sabbath!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not one scripture verse that says the there is a Law of Moses and a
Law of Christ

A major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that Moses'
law slams violators with a number of severe penalties and curses for non
compliance, whereas the law of Christ doesn't.

A second major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law specifies an extensive catalogue of atonements whereas Christ's
law specifies only one.

A third major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law doesn't permit human sacrifice whereas Christ's law does.

A fourth major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law enslaves people to the law of sin, whereas the law of the Spirit of
life in Christ Jesus liberates people from the law of sin.

FAQ: What is the law of sin?

REPLY: Cursed is anyone who does not affirm the terms of this law by
obeying them. (Deut 27:26) cf. Ezek 18:4, Rom 6:23, & Gal 3:10
_

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not agreeing on keeping the Lord's Sabbath as by law, is nothing. I expect it.

My only question to you was if you are actually a professing Christian that actually keeps it as written:

Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

This includes working at home.

My only frustration is getting a straight answer from you.

Do you ever make exceptions for working on your sabbath days, like all these other posers who have built in exceptions to work on their sabbaths in modern economies.

Yes or no?

One who is keeping the Lord's Sabbath according to the Scripture, would not so much as hesitate, and say of course not! I do not profane the Lord's Sabbath!

Yes we observe the 7th day Sabbath. We have our fellowship meetings on that day.

Shalom brother

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

A major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that Moses'
law slams violators with a number of severe penalties and curses for non
compliance, whereas the law of Christ doesn't.

A second major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law specifies an extensive catalogue of atonements whereas Christ's
law specifies only one.

A third major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law doesn't permit human sacrifice whereas Christ's law does.

A fourth major difference between Moses' law and the law of Christ is that
Moses' law enslaves people to the law of sin, whereas the law of the Spirit of
life in Christ Jesus liberates people from the law of sin.

FAQ: What is the law of sin?

REPLY: Cursed is anyone who does not affirm the terms of this law by
obeying them. (Deut 27:26) cf. Ezek 18:4, Rom 6:23, & Gal 3:10
_

So God is not the same? He changes. There is only One Law. Messiah is the Word made flesh. Law reveals what sin is just ask Paul. Messiah pay the penalty for sn which is death. That does not mean the law is gone it means the penalty is paid. This is why Deut 28 shows the blessings for applying and the curses for not same Law for both and Lev 26. There is a positive and negative aspect to the Law

Yeshua Himself said

NKJ John 7:16 Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.

The New Testament was not written when this was said before He died and rose again, so technically still before the renewed covenant.

What was the doctrine of the one who sent Him (The Father) the only doctrine they had were the Hebrew Scriptures, the Tanak, The Old Testament. This is exactly the same as the Bereans in Acts when they tested everything Paul taught they searched the scriptures. What were they? The same Hebrew scriptures. They kept the feasts and weekly Sabbaths and the rest of it.

Let me ask you a question what part of God's Law is bad? Do you know what His laws are?
I guess we can murder now, I guess we can worship idols and other gods now, I can I can go into a shop and steal now because I am under grace. I guess I can commit adultery or sleep with family members. This is what many denominational and many churches have done by saying God's Law is bad and look at the state of many of them and look at the state of many of our western so called Judeo Christian based societies. Up to the eyeballs in sin. No wonder the world is in a mess they are not blessed they are reaping Deut 28 and Lev 26. Why because God's word is TRUE and has not changed.

Again read the Laws and tell me what ones are bad. Remember this is the same Law that David speaks of multiple times in Psalm 119

NKJ Psalm 119:1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD!

I mean seriously read Psalm 119 and see what David says about the LAW of God which includes commandments, statutes, testimonies, judgements. Yep I am happy to be Like David if I can.

NKJ Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.

Yep I am happy to delight in the Law and meditate on it day and night and apply it to my life. Praise Yahweh for His words for they bring life and life more abundantly. Consider the words of Yeshua.

NKJ Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written,`Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

Again directly quoting from God's Law Deut 8:3 also declared before the New Testament was written. What is the word of God when He said this? The Law, The prophets, The Writings, the Tanak and The Old Testament.

The God I serve does not change. Yeshua is the same yesterday, today and forever. Halleluyah!!

Shalom

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we observe the 7th day Sabbath. We have our fellowship meetings on that day.

Shalom brother
Once more, just to be clear, that I may honor your Sabbath keeping as the Lord's.

There are no exceptions allowed for working therein?

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Once more, just to be clear, that I may honor your Sabbath keeping as the Lord's.

There are no exceptions allowed for working therein?

Just to be clear not "my Sabbath" His Sabbath as taught in His word.

Sabbath - ‎Shabbat שַׁבַּת - to cease, desist, rest this word is the word used in Gen 2:2 and 3 the English word in that verse for rested.
Work - melakah
מְלַאכְתּוֹ - occupation, work, business. Also, in the same verses of Gen 2:2 and 3 the English word work.

Put both together. This is what my family do. This does not save you it is a day set apart from the other 6 days to worship, pray, praise and give thanks to our God. A holy day simply meaning (set apart) day from the other 6 days of the week. Dedicated to worship and fellowshipping with family and other believers.

The working part of it which you seem to be so insistent on well that is different for different people and fellowships. That is between them and Yahweh as they are led by His Spirit. Ranges from in my opinion the extreme ultra orthodox Jewish view and their Oral Law teachings in the Talmud/Mishnah right through to more liberal views of believers.

Shalom

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, I've confessed and repented therefore i want to respect Gods holy day the Sabbath, however I'm confused as there is a lot of controversy over whether Christians today of the new testament are to continue the observation of the old testament Sabbath. Exodus 20:8 tells us to observe the Lords holy day the Sabbath, but in the link below amongst othere sources and bible debates it suggests the OT Sabbath is no longer relevant? Is this another trick of Satan to twist God's word away from us? Or are we to continue with the OT Sabbath.

What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday? Do Christians have to observe the Sabbath day? | GotQuestions.org
The expression 'Old Testament Sabbath' is an overlay. The scripture speaks of the Sabbath given to Man (humanity). It is no more old testament than is don't kill, don't steal or don't commit adultery.
We are to remember the Sabbath....ie, not forget it or change it or give it some other spin. The account of the creation week is clear......it is the seventh day which God rested on.....it is the seventh day we are to remember. This matter is not difficult to understand.

Reactions: Ancient