Old Covenant / Grace / New Covenant What They Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Hi to All , Denver ask a good question , on Adultry and let us see WHY ?1) Where did the Old Covenant end ? A lot of debate on this ONE right ? 2) Most Dispensationalist , if their are any reading this post will know what I will say . The Old Covenant ENDED AT ACTS 28:28 , WHY ? 3) Because Israel was defeated by Titus the Roman General and Israel has been aside for over 2000 years and who, WHO , CAN ARGUE with THAT ? 4) But what about the Gospel , many will say , what about them ? 5) For it is EASY !!!!6) Jesus was BORN under the Law !!!7) Jesus lived UNDER the Law !!!8 ) Jesus DIED under the Law , and how can ANYONE dispute THAT ? 9) In Matt 5:17 , what is the Context ? Is it the GRACE OF God or is the Law of Moses ? 10) Anyone who said Law , go to the HEAD of the class .11) In Matt 5:20 , how do we in the body of Christ , receive righteousness ? To us it happens when we accept Jesus as our saviour Rom 10:9,10 .12) Under the Law , those that committed Adultry were stoned . But Jesus tells them in Matt 5 : 21-48 What ? Jesus expand on the Law.12a) v21 , v22 , you have to be careful what you say and can be in danger of Hell fire , by saying the word Raca .12b) v 23, reconcile with family BEFORE offering any gift on the Alter .12c) v27 ,28 , if you look at a woman with lust in your heart , it is the same as committing Adulty .12d) v29 , and how many are doing this , if thy eye offend thee , pluck it out .12e) if thy right hand offend thee , cut it off , I don't or have heard of anyone doing this , But I know what some will say ? That is SYMBOLIC , and it is NOT literal . If you say that it is NOT literal , then v 28, 29 then are NOT literal , pure and simple .13) The Gospels are STILL under the Law , but the Law was made more in intense by Jesus as you can see in Matt 5 . 14) But we see a change when Paul was saved in Acts 9 , for the message CHANGES , from Law to Grace , and like Peter said , that the things that Paul writes about are haed to understand and that those that do NOT understand Dispensationalism are my Biggest Opponents along with Covenant Theology , and they don't know that the Apostle Paul is the Biggest Dispensationalist of them ALL .15) Dispensationalism is written throught Romans - Philemon and are written to the Body of Christ that ONLY was revealed to the Apostle Paul .16) Now we come to another MIS-understood word, New Covenant and the mis- application during this Age of Grace , and these book are from Hebrews- thru Revelation , for the New Covenat WAS NEVER given to the Body of Christ . And I no, most , will not agree , so let the fun begin !!!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Pure speculation... Te Old Covenant is indeed done. but The Ten Commandments is still very much in effect... The statues, ordinances, the Mosaic Law is fulfilled in Christ, but not destroyed as it is still in effect, but aren't required. The only thing required to do is God's Ten Commandments. It does not start at Acts 28:28.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (Jordan @ Apr 15 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72614
Pure speculation... Te Old Covenant is indeed done. but The Ten Commandments is still very much in effect... The statues, ordinances, the Mosaic Law is fulfilled in Christ, but not destroyed as it is still in effect, but aren't required. The only thing required to do is God's Ten Commandments. It does not start at Acts 28:28.
1) Hi Jordan , Heb 8:8 says that it gone, and God has given Israel and Judah a New Covenant .2) I trust that you have a verse where the Body of Christ has to keep the 10 commandments ?

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
So are you saying that you don't believe that we are under grace, but still under the law? I think we are under grace. Since I think we are under grace that means to me that we are not under the Old Covenant (the Law) but now we are under the New Covenant (Grace). Heb 8:8 seems to be talking about Israel in particular, which I think means the Jews who don't believe in Jesus Christ. I don't know if this passage means they fall under the New Covenant too or if they will get a whole different Covenant. If I had to guess I would say it brings them under the New Covenant with us, as I don't know what the Jews could do for God that would be better than Jesus Christ. But GOD's ways are not my ways and I am mostly ignorant.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Christ came not to change the Law but to fulfill it the ordancanes Stautes ect are fufilled in Christ ... The Law has never been changed it is in effect today ...but we saved by Grace not the Law ... We are to follow the Law if we break it we repent of our sin.. through grace we are forgiven.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (Christina @ Apr 24 2009, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72945
Christ came not to change the Law but to fulfill it the ordancanes Stautes ect are fufilled in Christ ... The Law has never been changed it is in effect today ...but we saved by Grace not the Law ... We are to follow the Law if we break it we repent of our sin.. through grace we are forgiven.
Hi Christina , where dos it say that we are under the Law , but saved by Grace ? I need a verse ? Do you want to answer the Opening Post ?

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
QUOTE (dan p @ Apr 27 2009, 03:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73072
Hi Christina , where dos it say that we are under the Law , but saved by Grace ? I need a verse ? Do you want to answer the Opening Post ?
John 3:16 - Grace. I haven't seen anything in the Bible that says we are no longer required to keep the law. That means to me we still keep it and Christina's post is correct. Is there a verse that says we are no longer required to keep the law??

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
QUOTE (dan p @ Apr 27 2009, 02:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73072
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. There is a difference between the Law ... and the ordinances and Statutes ect(Hi For Life)

watchman

Feb 7, 2008
sad.gif

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (For Life @ Apr 30 2009, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73185
John 3:16 - Grace. I haven't seen anything in the Bible that says we are no longer required to keep the law. That means to me we still keep it and Christina's post is correct. Is there a verse that says we are no longer required to keep the law??
Hi for life , read Rom 6:15 , Gal 2:16-18 ; Gal 3: 5 ,10 11 , 12 , will help you .

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Has it all been fulfilled? no. we are still here and Christ isnt. We are under the Law saved by grace another words we are to follow the law the of of Ten commandments ... We are saved by grace ..by faith in Christ ...but if you break all the commandments you must repent in Christs name not one letter (jot,dot) of the law is changed. The only things that has changed is we can not be saved just by following the Law there is only way Christ .... We are to accept Christ as our savior and then follow the law and repent when we fall short. The religious ordinances, the statues ect were all fulfilled in Christ ... He became our sacrifice for all sin pass present future The health laws are as good for you today as the day God gave them ...is it a sin to break them now No but it can make you sickChrist came to fulfill nor to change to cancel out the law.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Something we are quick to forget is that any act of kindness , goodness , salvation within the law , salvation outside the law that God provides is purely from an act of grace from him to the human. It is not from anything we do. Never has been.Even when you are very good at following the law and all the commandments you still require a Saviour provided by him , Motivated by Grace provided by Him , we only receive and it should be humbling. However it is hard to be humble. Much easier to be proud about our theological knowlege of legalities in the New and Old covenants. This religious pride puts us up a notch , and brings God down a notch. These are the things we humans love to do.Got pride?? I know I do. I count on forgiveness and grace to get me through. Otherwise I have no hope under the law.Martin W.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus the Christ is indeed a Savior, but he is also a sacrifice. The law is not made void because Jesus's sacrifice was made to fulfill the law as Matthew 5 declares. Instead of offering a sacrifice for a sin, one now only need repent because Christ is the one and all time sacrifice. If the law is void, then Christ didn't die to fulfill the law, and he lied in Matthew 5 because he got rid of it.I don't like it at all when grace is used in this context in opposition to the law. Grace comes about to fulfill the law, the two work in concert, certainly not opposition.God himself speaking of the new covenant:QUOTE
Hebrews 10:16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
That's why it is indeed a sin to murder, blasphemy God, commit adultery, or any of the other things.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
QUOTE (dan p @ May 1 2009, 06:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73205
Hi for life , read Rom 6:15 , Gal 2:16-18 ; Gal 3: 5 ,10 11 , 12 , will help you .
Is there a verse that says we don't have to keep the law? Rom 6:15 says God forbid!! I suppose it has helped me with more verses that support my original view.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
QUOTE (For Life @ May 2 2009, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73241
Is there a verse that says we don't have to keep the law? Rom 6:15 says God forbid!! I suppose it has helped me with more verses that support my original view.
Hi For Life , and I have more verses for you to consider , Col :2:14-17 ; Gal 2:19 ,21 ; Ga; 4:8-10 ; Gal 5:3-4 ; and Gal 5:14 .