On Simplicity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has a believer ever said to you, “You are making your life as a Christian too complex. You have lost the simplicity that is in Christ.” ( 2 Corinthians 11:3) That might be so, to a degree, but what about David’s admonition in Proverbs 1:22, “How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity?”

Should we expect our walks with the Lord to be simple and void of questions or controversy? Maybe it is best to ask,”Does the Word convey effortless meaning and messages in a straightforward manner?”

As a student of literature, I learned fairly early to recognize what are termed literary devices easily found throughout short stories, novels and speeches to bring meaning to a message without being straightforward in stating the intent of a passage. As abundant as these devices are in American classic and contemporary works, they equally abound within Scripture.

Literary devices, I would contend, do not make Bible study entirely simple, effortless, and unquestioning. Instead, they tend to make Scriptures beautifully intricate.

Here are examples in the use of hyperbole, meaning an exaggeration used for emphasis or rhetorical effect.

• II Chronicles 1:15, "Also the king made silver and gold as common in Jerusalem as stones."
  • Mark 9:43, "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched."
Was gold as common in Jerusalem as stone? Are we to actually cut off our hand if we sin in using it?

Idiom is a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words. Examples in English would be “to pay through the nose,” “break a leg,” and “a bee in your bonnet.” Here’s a biblical example:

• Matthew 23:24, "Blind guides, who strain at a gnat and swallow a camel!"
Did the Pharisees literally attempt to swallow gnats and camels? Of course not!

Is this next example truly possible? Known as imagery, it is the use of figurative language to represent objects, actions or ideas.

• Revelation 12:1, "Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars."
Is this woman real or is this merely visually descriptive language?

Another very common tool is metaphor, a figure of speech in which a comparison is made between two seemingly unlike things.

· James 3:6, "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity."

Have you ever seen a tongue ablaze? I doubt it.

The frequent use of literary devices in the Bible can cause a sentence, when taken literally, to make no sense.

In the end, I would be more inclined to view Scripture as being more complex than simple. Have you ever witnessed a Christian say unto a sycamine tree, “Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea” and it actually happened? Of course not.

In Wally Lamb’s novel I Know This Much to Be True, the central event in the novel is the actual dismembering of the hand of Dominick Birdsey’s brother, a schizophrenic identical twin who took Jesus’ statement to “cut it off” to its literal conclusion.

Therefore, it is best to learn how to rightly divide the word of truth so as not to interpret and respond inappropriately.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Hope in God,

Of course, it's not the hand that causes sin, is it? Rather the flesh, and if it's causing you to sin, what should you do?

Much love!

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Has a believer ever said to you, “You are making your life as a Christian too complex. You have lost the simplicity that is in Christ.” ( 2 Corinthians 11:3) That might be so, to a degree, but what about David’s admonition in Proverbs 1:22, “How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity?”

Should we expect our walks with the Lord to be simple and void of questions or controversy? Maybe it is best to ask,”Does the Word convey effortless meaning and messages in a straightforward manner?”

As a student of literature, I learned fairly early to recognize what are termed literary devices easily found throughout short stories, novels and speeches to bring meaning to a message without being straightforward in stating the intent of a passage. As abundant as these devices are in American classic and contemporary works, they equally abound within Scripture.

Literary devices, I would contend, do not make Bible study entirely simple, effortless, and unquestioning. Instead, they tend to make Scriptures beautifully intricate.

Here are examples in the use of hyperbole, meaning an exaggeration used for emphasis or rhetorical effect.

• II Chronicles 1:15, "Also the king made silver and gold as common in Jerusalem as stones."
  • Mark 9:43, "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched."
Was gold as common in Jerusalem as stone? Are we to actually cut off our hand if we sin in using it?

Idiom is a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words. Examples in English would be “to pay through the nose,” “break a leg,” and “a bee in your bonnet.” Here’s a biblical example:

• Matthew 23:24, "Blind guides, who strain at a gnat and swallow a camel!"
Did the Pharisees literally attempt to swallow gnats and camels? Of course not!

Is this next example truly possible? Known as imagery, it is the use of figurative language to represent objects, actions or ideas.

• Revelation 12:1, "Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars."
Is this woman real or is this merely visually descriptive language?

Another very common tool is metaphor, a figure of speech in which a comparison is made between two seemingly unlike things.

· James 3:6, "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity."

Have you ever seen a tongue ablaze? I doubt it.

The frequent use of literary devices in the Bible can cause a sentence, when taken literally, to make no sense.

In the end, I would be more inclined to view Scripture as being more complex than simple. Have you ever witnessed a Christian say unto a sycamine tree, “Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea” and it actually happened? Of course not.

In Wally Lamb’s novel I Know This Much to Be True, the central event in the novel is the actual dismembering of the hand of Dominick Birdsey’s brother, a schizophrenic identical twin who took Jesus’ statement to “cut it off” to its literal conclusion.

Therefore, it is best to learn how to rightly divide the word of truth so as not to interpret and respond inappropriately.
James's Epistle does speak of tongue matters which really do indicate the idea of a tongue ablaze.... "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" (James 3.5)

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James's Epistle does speak of tongue matters which really do indicate the idea of a tongue ablaze.... "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" (James 3.5)
But, is the tongue truly on fire? Does a tongue catch fire in any passage within Scripture? Not hardly.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly not cut it off.
Oh yes!

:)

Simplicity itself!

Colossians 2
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, is the tongue truly on fire? Does a tongue catch fire in any passage within Scripture? No hardly.
Not disagreeing with all that you have said, but also consider your first questions in connection with this:

"For our God is a consuming fire." Heb 12:29
What do those words mean according to your literary definitions? What is God? We can find other verse of scriptures which seem to describe Him, but why the consuming fire? Is it not because God does burn up that which is not of Him? For example:

"Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Dan 3:24-25

The fire burned the ropes that bound them. God burned the ropes that bound them:

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matt 3:11-12

Call it what you like, but God in the type in Daniel showed what would really be happening. Is God really a "consuming fire" similar to the fire in a burning match stick, or on the burner of a gas stove, or in a forest fire?

It is all simple to someone God has given the understanding but complex to someone without that understanding...or?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh yes!

:)

Simplicity itself!

Colossians 2
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Much love!
Christ's Headship in its different aspects is a doctrine which is often neglected.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not disagreeing with all that you have said, but also consider your first questions in connection with this:

What do those words mean according to your literary definitions? What is God? We can find other verse of scriptures which seem to describe Him, but why the consuming fire? Is it not because God does burn up that which is not of Him? For example:

"Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." Dan 3:24-25

The fire burned the ropes that bound them. God burned the ropes that bound them:

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matt 3:11-12

Call it what you like, but God in the type in Daniel showed what would really be happening. Is God really a "consuming fire" similar to the fire in a burning match stick, or on the burner of a gas stove, or in a forest fire?

It is all simple to someone God has given the understanding but complex to someone without that understanding...or?

We who love Him, need not fear the consuming fire. Yea rather, we embrace it, we long for it to burn away all in us that is not of Him.

Peace be with you!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simplicity is found in our priorities

Keep doctrine as a hobby
Practice love as your profession
Mixing these will lead to
Unnecessary complexity and rabbit trails

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Simplicity is found in our priorities

Keep doctrine as a hobby
Practice love as your profession
Mixing these will lead to
Unnecessary complexity and rabbit trails

Hello aspen!

Sorry to disagree brother,
But holding fast to the Truth can not be a hobby, certainly not for our bishops...

Have you ever wondered when singing the Gloria, that you have hundreds of millions, down through the ages, singing that with you?
That was placed on my heart a couple months ago, and the tears just flowed...

Peace be with you!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello aspen!

Sorry to disagree brother,
But holding fast to the Truth can not be a hobby, certainly not for our bishops...

Have you ever wondered when singing the Gloria, that you have hundreds of millions, down through the ages, singing that with you?
That was placed on my heart a couple months ago, and the tears just flowed...

Peace be with you!

Nothing wrong with a little disagreement - we are all learning. Yes! The Gloria is sublime. Of course, Bishops and other religious are called to make doctrine their profession. Amen!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can see why someone who has never read the Scriptures might ask himself what in the world all those hidden descriptions and phrases mean. We, who have been saved and have accepted their long-held meanings, breeze right by them, normally without question.

I've heard and read explanations from men behind pulpits that were nothing more than poetic license as opposed to true insight and revelation. For instance, one man spent nearly an hour explaining how the hart that panted after the waterbrook was a bird, not knowing it was, in reality a deer. And not a single person in the group of attendees was bold enough to stop him, figuring, I suppose, that it was better to let him go on than to potentially embarass him.

The term "fire" has been used within Charismatic circles, over the past couple decades or so, to describe impartations and visitations, which, even in these days, is anticipated in all their meetings. They wait on the fire to fall upon them, similar to those cloven tongues like as fire.

These days, young people at a well attended CA church fall into spells as the "fire" falls due to their repetitive phrasing of song lyrics. Having come out of the Charismatic movement long ago, I still have friends who remained and who base their relationships on the number of times the fire fell on them. Incidentally, the doctrine from the man in charge at that CA location is riddled with a license to interpret Scripture as he pleases, and yet he is highly esteemed by those poorly under-studied, young and old alike.

Reactions: amadeus

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, is the tongue truly on fire? Does a tongue catch fire in any passage within Scripture? Not hardly.
If we had spiritual eyes, perhaps we could see the flames of hell on the unruly tongue. It's clearly not true in earthly terms, but I think it could be true spiritually.

I think the fiery serpents that bit the children of Israel had fiery tongues. I'm not sure if they were physical serpents or spiritual ones.

Numbers 21:6 And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

They would have been biting their heels.

Genesis 3:14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we had spiritual eyes, perhaps we could see the flames of hell on the unruly tongue. It's clearly not true in earthly terms, but I think it could be true spiritually.

I think the fiery serpents that bit the children of Israel had fiery tongues. I'm not sure if they were physical serpents or spiritual ones.

Numbers 21:6 And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

They would have been biting their heels.

Genesis 3:14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
So, you believe there actually was a talking serpent, and fire coming from serpents?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that some of the scriptures speak metaphorically while others are literal.
To understand it we need the Holy Spirit to help us understand.
A carnal mind is enmity against God...we must become spiritually minded.
Parables are to confound the wise but those who are humble before God and seek His truth it will be revealed to them the meaning of it.
Simplicity in faith is what we need to gain....simple faith as a child.
The study of scripture is complex. What is written in the OT is confirmed in the NT. And what is written in the NT is explained in the OT.
I don't believe dragons actually existed but Satan is called the dragon, the serpent, prince of darkness, the devil....these are characteristics of his nature.
Simple Faith leads us to His Hidden Wisdom!:)