One of a Kind

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wanted to inform everyone that in order to extend the use of the articles I share, I will be sending them biweekly, as the source is thinning a bit. I’ll occasionally be sending personal articles in the meantime. God's blessings to the Families, and God be blessed!

One of a Kind

God loves all mankind, even those whom He knows are going to perish! He loved mankind even before creating, knowing that out of all of the creatures, even of the angels, man would be the only creature that would be like Him. He has established that there would be nothing else in all creation like man. Surly, we are the most important of all creatures in His eyes.

Man was created in God’s “image,” that is, after what He looks like—possessing a head, eyes, hands, etc.; but of course invisible. Thus, something as close to His heart as man is, He desires they would choose what He chooses, same as parents wishing for their children’s choices to be after their choices.

I’m certain there’s nothing that saddens God more than the perishing of the unbelievers (who choose not to trust God), especially considering the fact that He knew most would perish even before bringing them into the world. But He knew of course that it would be worth the perishing of the majority to inherit those of the few (Luk 15:10; Mat 7:13, 14).

If one were to correctly determine the capacity of God’s love for mankind, it would involve the same level of love He has for His Son!
NC

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God loves all mankind, even those whom He knows are going to perish! He loved mankind even before creating, knowing that out of all of the creatures, even of the angels, man would be the only creature that would be like Him. He has established that there would be nothing else in all creation like man. Surly, we are the most important of all creatures in His eyes.
Hello Netchaplain, I agree with you about most of the above, even sentence #1 (at least in a certain sense) .. e.g. Matthew 5:43-48; Romans 5:8; 1 Timothy 4:10, but I'm always at a bit of a loss trying to reconcile that sentiment (that "God loves ALL of mankind") with what has happened many times throughout history, beginning with the Flood.

I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts about this. Thanks :)

Man was created in God’s “image,” that is, after what He looks like—possessing a head, eyes, hands, etc.; but of course invisible.
Since neither צֶלֶם ("image") nor דְּמוּת ("likeness") necessarily refers to our having a "physical" resemblance to God, what has led you believe that that is what v26 is referring to (perhaps because of the many anthropomorphisms that we find about God in the Bible)?

God is "spirit" .. John 4:24 doesn't seem to help (as
πνεῦμα means "spirit", not spiritual "body"), in fact, one of the things that the Lord seems to be doing in that verse is contrasting God's spiritual nature with ours, which is physical.

There is also His omnipresence to consider, of course.

Quite frankly, how could we possibly know (but if what you believe is true, doesn't that mean that we should be both spirit and invisible too, just like God) ;)

Thoughts (some of them silly) aside, I await your answer.

Thanks for your help!

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - I'm pretty sure that our LDS friends teach that God has a physical body, but is there a church and/or denomination within the pale of historic Christian orthodoxy that does so as well, IOW, one that teaches that God is "physical", rather than "spirit", having a head, eyes, hands, etc. albeit "invisible"? Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wanted to inform everyone that in order to extend the use of the articles I share, I will be sending them biweekly, as the source is thinning a bit. I’ll occasionally be sending personal articles in the meantime. God's blessings to the Families, and God be blessed!

One of a Kind

I know you mean well, but I don't think we should view ourselves as supreme among God's heavenly creatures. I think angels are also referred to as God's "sons," (Job 1.6) which make them creatures created in God's image, as well.

Actually, I don't really know this. However, angels appear to act very much like men, and we are said to have been created just a little lower than them on the echelon. My thought is that since we know so little of angels, perhaps we should be careful not to assert our place as central? (Jude 1.9-10) In the scene in heaven in Rev 4-5 we note that angels are right in the center of the throne and all around, portraying both Man and Creature.

Though angels may minister to us, we are not superior to them. They aid us in our earthly tasks, apparently. Those who are the greatest serve the most. We are central and of preeminent importance to God *on earth,* which is the domain God gave exclusively to us as lords and managers. We rule over our environment on behalf of our Lord and Master.

Man was created in God’s “image,” that is, after what He looks like—possessing a head, eyes, hands, etc.; but of course invisible. Thus, something as close to His heart as man is, He desires they would choose what He chooses, same as parents wishing for their children’s choices to be after their choices.
Agreed. We align ourselves with God, but more importantly, embrace Him in our heart, making Him the center of our existence.
I’m certain there’s nothing that saddens God more than the perishing of the unbelievers (who choose not to trust God), especially considering the fact that He knew most would perish even before bringing them into the world. But He knew of course that it would be worth the perishing of the majority to inherit those of the few (Luk 15:10; Mat 7:13, 14).
I really don't know whether majority or minority perish from the New Earth and pass away into Outer Darkness? But I do know that Jesus said a relative few actually live out lives of obedience, ie go the "narrow way."

So, relatively few will, perhaps, obtain a good reward in the Kingdom, though I personally think many who did little will actually be able to enter the Kingdom of God. They may have not had clear access to a true knowledge of Christ. And some will no doubt simply fail their calling out of weakness.

But I completely agree that God is a God of Love no matter who He is dealing with, the Lost or the Found. He is unchanging in who He is, in all of His holiness.

He can't be other than Love, because that is how He has defined Himself. It may not be our definition of "love," but it is in fact God's own definition of what He thinks "Love" is!

He treats even His enemies with love, though He may have to punish them with separation from the blessings of His presence. He cannot contaminate His holy presence with unholy rebels.

So God will be "love" to both friend and rebel for all eternity, treating them not as carnal men but as a loving God. He will not, however, force His presence and His holiness upon men, because that is not how He defines "love."

But I'm sure He will have a place for everyone in eternity, giving them the measure they deserve and a place where they can do the most good. I will leave that determination to the One whose place it is to do it.
If one were to correctly determine the capacity of God’s love for mankind, it would involve the same level of love He has for His Son!
NC
Amen!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Netchaplain, I agree with you about most of the above, even sentence #1 (at least in a certain sense) .. e.g. Matthew 5:43-48; Romans 5:8; 1 Timothy 4:10, but I'm always at a bit of a loss trying to reconcile that sentiment (that "God loves ALL of mankind") with what has happened many times throughout history, beginning with the Flood.
Hi, and appreciate y our reply and comments! Though God judges sinful people for unbelief, He still only has love for them. "God so loved the world" Jn 3:16; "God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved."

Since neither צֶלֶם ("image") nor דְּמוּת ("likeness") necessarily refers to our having a "physical" resemblance to God, what has led you believe that that is what v26 is referring to (perhaps because of the many anthropomorphisms that we find about God in the Bible)?
Image is how something looks, e.g. angels have wings but people don't; and likeness is the abilities of what one has that is like another, e.g. reasoning, like God does.
God is "spirit" .. John 4:24 doesn't seem to help (as πνεῦμα means "spirit", not spiritual "body"), in fact, one of the things that the Lord seems to be doing in that verse is contrasting God's spiritual nature with ours, which is physical.
In what verse? ("in that verse")
There is also His omnipresence to consider, of course.

Quite frankly, how could we possibly know (but if what you believe is true, doesn't that mean that we should be both spirit and invisible too, just like God) ;)

It was God's desire to create man and the universe to introduce the physical, as the Lord Jesus now has an eternal physical body.
We are created "like" God is in His image and likeness; "like" God, but not "as" God.
I'm pretty sure that our LDS friends teach that God has a physical body, but is there a church and/or denomination within the pale of historic Christian orthodoxy that does so as well, IOW, one that teaches that God is "physical", rather than "spirit", having a head, eyes, hands, etc. albeit "invisible"?
What anti-Christians teach has no interest to me.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know you mean well, but I don't think we should view ourselves as supreme among God's heavenly creatures. I think angels are also referred to as God's "sons," (Job 1.6) which make them creatures created in God's image, as well.
Hi, and like your reply, though it is a bit different from my understanding. I believe Scripture means that man was the only creature after His image and likeness: "Man is the principal part of the creation, and for the sake of whom the world, and all things in it were made, and which being finished, he is introduced into it as into an house ready prepared and furnished for him . . . it being proposed he should be made not in the likeness of any of the creatures already made, but as near as could be in the likeness and image of God." -John Gill

"This chapter is also to be read with wonder and adoration by man; as he finds himself to be constituted lord of the earth (Gen 2:19), next in rank under the Creator of all, formed in the image of his Maker, and therefore capable not only of studying the works of nature, but of contemplating and reverently communing with the Author of nature." -Albert Barnes

Though angels may minister to us, we are not superior to them. They aid us in our earthly tasks, apparently. Those who are the greatest serve the most. We are central and of preeminent importance to God *on earth,* which is the domain God gave exclusively to us as lords and managers. We rule over our environment on behalf of our Lord and Master.
Yes, we have not the power of angels, but are more important to God than they are.
I really don't know whether majority or minority perish from the New Earth and pass away into Outer Darkness? But I do know that Jesus said a relative few actually live out lives of obedience, ie go the "narrow way."
When this life is through, those who will be saved will be "few" in comparison to those who will perish.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, and like your reply, though it is a bit different from my understanding. I believe Scripture means that man was the only creature after His image and likeness: "Man is the principal part of the creation, and for the sake of whom the world, and all things in it were made, and which being finished, he is introduced into it as into an house ready prepared and furnished for him . . . it being proposed he should be made not in the likeness of any of the creatures already made, but as near as could be in the likeness and image of God." -John Gill

"This chapter is also to be read with wonder and adoration by man; as he finds himself to be constituted lord of the earth (Gen 2:19), next in rank under the Creator of all, formed in the image of his Maker, and therefore capable not only of studying the works of nature, but of contemplating and reverently communing with the Author of nature." -Albert Barnes

Yes, we have not the power of angels, but are more important to God than they are.

When this life is through, those who will be saved will be "few" in comparison to those who will perish.
You do hold to traditional views, with Man at the center of the universe. But look what happened with Copernicus and Galileo, when they dared challenge the idea that the earth was the center of the universe?

So I suggest we just step back and ask ourselves, Is the biblical record speaking of the centrality of Man in creation in the context of the earth, or in the context of the entire universe? I don't know--I'm just asking.

However, I think the Bible is manifestly focused upon our purpose here on earth, and that's perhaps where our focus should remain? I don't think angels have a pass here unless God gives them a specific call to do so, to aid us in our quest.

I think Satan and his angels have a very limited pass but are also, in a sense, "trespassers" when they indulge in evil activities among men. They seek Man's "permission," as such, to carry on their evil activities here. That's why, I think, the Law of Moses spoke so prohibitively of any of Israel's indulgences in the occult, denying anybody in covenant with Him to have any contact with "spirits."

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the biblical record speaking of the centrality of Man in creation in the context of the earth, or in the context of the entire universe? I don't know--I'm just asking.
Not that it's very significant, but I believe it's in relation to the universe, since it was created when man was created.
However, I think the Bible is manifestly focused upon our purpose here on earth, and that's perhaps where our focus should remain? I don't think angels have a pass here unless God gives them a specific call to do so, to aid us in our quest.
My reference to man's significance concerns him being the most important to Himself, man being the sole entity that is after God.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not that it's very significant, but I believe it's in relation to the universe, since it was created when man was created.

My reference to man's significance concerns him being the most important to Himself, man being the sole entity that is after God.
Yes, the universe and the earth were one creation. It remains for me to question whether the Bible is an earthly document focused primarily on the earth, as opposed to covering the entire universe?

After all, the universe is vast, and the earth is small. Should we place men above the angels when the Bible said that man was created a little lower than the angels? Should we view ourselves as more important than angels when angels, like Satan himself, appear to be more powerful than men, when we defeat him not by our own gloating, but only by reference to the Lord's power?

I wish to rid myself of any trace of cockiness, or of any indulgence in too much self-importance, when in reality, the Bible is silent on some of this? I do not hear it said, Scripturally, that *only* Man was created in the image of God? Certainly, that is true among earth's inhabitants, but is it true throughout the universe? That is what I question.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we place men above the angels when the Bible said that man was created a little lower than the angels?
Brother Randy, the three passages that speak of being "made a little lower than the angels" is in reference to the "Son of Man" (Psa 8:4, 5; Heb 2:6, 7; Heb 2:9). I don't think it could be referring to man, because he was never equal or above the angels in power and authority, but in importance to God. Who would be more important than one who is the only one made after God's image and likeness!

It's not about lifting man, but impressing how much God loves man; and it's ok of course that we may continue to disagree on this issue.

I do not hear it said, Scripturally, that *only* Man was created in the image of God?
I believe the absence of Scripture proclaiming any other created in His image demonstrates that man is the only one in His image. I think if there were any others it would be mentioned, due to the significance of God's only claim about man being in His image.

Plus, I think we've exhausted our discussion about it, unless there's anything else you want to add. We can't allow ourselves to take any issue to far (not that we're already quarreling - "a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all" - 2Ti 2:24).

Love You Brother, appreciate all your replies, and God bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother Randy, the three passages that speak of being "made a little lower than the angels" is in reference to the "Son of Man" (Psa 8:4, 5; Heb 2:6, 7; Heb 2:9). I don't think it could be referring to man, because he was never equal or above the angels in power and authority, but in importance to God. Who would be more important than one who is the only one made after God's image and likeness!
I've wondered this too, if the passage is speaking of Jesus as the Son of Man. But if the passage is saying that Jesus is lower than the angels, doesn't that make us lower than the angels too? Perhaps you're just saying that Jesus, as the "Son of Man," was temporarily depreciated in order that he might be exalted on behalf of us sinners?
I believe the absence of Scripture proclaiming any other created in His image demonstrates that man is the only one in His image. I think if there were any others it would be mentioned, due to the significance of God's only claim about man being in His image.
That's certainly a possibility that I've entertained in the past. But it isn't anything more than a question for me--thanks for indulging me. I always seem to have to have a comment on any thoughtful subject! ;)
Plus, I think we've exhausted our discussion about it, unless there's anything else you want to add. We can't allow ourselves to take any issue to far (not that we're already quarreling - "a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all" - 2Ti 2:24).

Love You Brother, appreciate all your replies, and God bless!
No, you're right. I haven't any more to add--just making conversation. Thanks! :) And I continue to very much appreciate you too--you wouldn't believe a poster just responded to me by calling me a "devil" just because I asked him what he meant by a statement? ;)

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've wondered this too, if the passage is speaking of Jesus as the Son of Man. But if the passage is saying that Jesus is lower than the angels, doesn't that make us lower than the angels too?
We have always been lower than the angels in power, but greater in importance. The Gospel has always been something the angels have always "desired to look into" (1Pe 1:12).
you wouldn't believe a poster just responded to me by calling me a "devil" just because I asked him what he meant by a statement? ;)
Could be someone special, not possessing a normal sense.

Reactions: Randy Kluth