One of God’s Great Don’ts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Fret not thyself, it tendeth only to evil doing” Psalm 37:8 [R.V.]

Fretting meaning getting out at the elbows mentally or spiritually. It is one thing to say “Fret not,” but a very different thing to have such a disposition that you find yourself able not to fret. It sounds so easy to talk about “resting in the Lord” and “waiting patiently for Him” until the nest is upset--until we live, as so many are doing, in tumult and anguish, is it possible then to "rest in the Lord” If this “don’t” does not work there, it will work nowhere. This “don’t” must work in days of perplexity as well as in days of peace, or it never will work. And if it will not work in your particular case, it will not work in anyone else’s case. Resting in the Lord does not depend on external circumstances at all, but on your relationship to God Himself.

Fussing always ends in sin. We imagine that a little anxiety and worry are an indication of how really wise we are; it is much more an indication of how really wicked we are. Fretting springs from a determination to get our own way. Our Lord never worried and He was never anxious, because He was not “out” to realize His own ideas; He was “out” to realize God’s ideas. Fretting is wicked if you are a child of God.

Have you been bolstering up that stupid soul of yours with the idea that your circumstances are too much for God? Put all “supposing” on one side and dwell in the shadow of the Almighty. Deliberately tell God that you will not fret about that thing. All our fret and worry is caused by calculating without God.

By Oswald Chambers July 4th

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, true Christians never fret and worry..:)
Nonchristians on the other hand are like ricketty wagons without springs, jolted by every pebble on life's road..:)

wagon wreck.jpg

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quoting and giving credit to this Dr. Erwin Lutzer
Dealing with Anxiety: Why does Jesus say we shouldn’t worry?
a shorter version and in some of my words..

Jesus said we should not worry because of who we are as believers and in the Father. “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Matt. 6:26). If He takes care of the birds, will He not take care of us? If we begin to worry, we begin to lose faith and diminish our valuable our Father has placed upon us. We are priceless.

And then why worry: “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (Matt 6:27). As some has said, worry is like putting on the brakes and stepping on the gas at the same time. It would be worth it if it added to the length to our life; but in fact, it most probably shortens it.

And we are believers, not unbelievers or pagans. “For pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.” (Matt 6:32).

When we worry we act like the pagans who do not know the Heavenly Father.

As this Dr Lutzer says" Two people get cancer, one is a Christian, the other is not. How tragic if the Christian accepts it no better than the pagan!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...And we are believers, not unbelievers or pagans. “For pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.” (Matt 6:32).

When we worry we act like the pagans who do not know the Heavenly Father.

As this Dr Lutzer says" Two people get cancer, one is a Christian, the other is not. How tragic if the Christian accepts it no better than the pagan!
Amen...!

"For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." Luke 6:32-35

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My late mother and father were big worriers, my mother used to chain-smoke to "calm her nerves", and my workaholic dad used to drink to relieve his work stresses.
They've both been dead for many years so all that lifetime of worrying didn't do them a bit of good..:)

Reactions: APAK

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My late mother and father were big worriers, my mother used to chain-smoke to "calm her nerves", and my workaholic dad used to drink to relieve his work stresses.
They've both been dead for many years so all that lifetime of worrying didn't do them a bit of good..:)
No, the worrying will not accomplish what we might hope. My mother divorced my father, who did love and serve God, when I was a toddler and we moved away from him from Oklahoma to California before the end of WWII. She worked hard over the years and strived for what she thought she wanted. She got comfortable in the materials thing of this carnal life, but I do not believe, she got what she thought was available in them.

I am led to believe she found something better by reading her Bible before her death, but she was in Oregon and Arizona and far from me [in Oklahoma again], so I do not know much other than what others have told me. I hope for her sake she found Him before her end.

Reactions: APAK and Dropship

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an
“Fret not thyself, it tendeth only to evil doing” Psalm 37:8 [R.V.]

Fretting meaning getting out at the elbows mentally or spiritually. It is one thing to say “Fret not,” but a very different thing to have such a disposition that you find yourself able not to fret. It sounds so easy to talk about “resting in the Lord” and “waiting patiently for Him” until the nest is upset--until we live, as so many are doing, in tumult and anguish, is it possible then to "rest in the Lord” If this “don’t” does not work there, it will work nowhere. This “don’t” must work in days of perplexity as well as in days of peace, or it never will work. And if it will not work in your particular case, it will not work in anyone else’s case. Resting in the Lord does not depend on external circumstances at all, but on your relationship to God Himself.

Fussing always ends in sin. We imagine that a little anxiety and worry are an indication of how really wise we are; it is much more an indication of how really wicked we are. Fretting springs from a determination to get our own way. Our Lord never worried and He was never anxious, because He was not “out” to realize His own ideas; He was “out” to realize God’s ideas. Fretting is wicked if you are a child of God.

Have you been bolstering up that stupid soul of yours with the idea that your circumstances are too much for God? Put all “supposing” on one side and dwell in the shadow of the Almighty. Deliberately tell God that you will not fret about that thing. All our fret and worry is caused by calculating without God.

By Oswald Chambers July 4th
awesome quote John,
This is THE one area that God has certainly brought me to. Waste of time, energy and lack of faith as well = sin. If it's out of your control, why fret anyhow?!! It's insane really! But as you say big brother, we all have our times, so to speak.

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an

awesome quote John,
This is THE one area that God has certainly brought me to. Waste of time, energy and lack of faith as well = sin. If it's out of your control, why fret anyhow?!! It's insane really! But as you say big brother, we all have our times, so to speak.
Amen, sister!

Reactions: Nancy