Oneoff

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What else would you call an agnostic, deistic, believer in God?
If you believe in God why do you state you are agnostic which means a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God?

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United Kingdom
When I reregistered I chose 'Agnostic' because it seemed to be the most appropriate of the available options.
But I have been a firm believer in God since my earliest childhood.
It's just that I have grown to believe in a totally 'universal' God, as distinct from the God who was embraced by those within the Mediterranean confines who penned what we term as 'scripture', and who thought the 'world' was flat, and did not exist beyond the Straits of Gibraltar, simply because ships which sailed out into the Atlantic appeared to drop over the edge of their supposedly 'flat' world. (hence the warning inscriptions to the 'Pillars of Hercules').
To quote from 'their' scriptures "other sheep have I, and those also I must bring into the fold".
Hence my belief in a more 'universal' God who will somehow bring into his fold those from the far eastern antipathy of the Mediterranean (and elsewhere) who might never get to see the Hebrew originated 'scriptures', or hear what Christendom refers to as 'the gospel message'.
But that's only my best plausible overview of what might be the 'universal' mind and intent of God, and because I do not know that to be the case with absolute certainty, I have to consider myself to be 'Agnostic' (in the strict dictionary definition of the word).
But that seems to preclude me from posting in the majority of the site's sub forums ..... so be it if 'needs must'.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi, Oneoff. When I was two, my earliest memory was this: I was conscious, aware. Maybe six feet in front of me was a round light, perhaps the size of a beachball. It was very pure white, and bright. All around was dark. It was my first memory.
I was raised in a home where Jesus was the Christmas baby and He had something to do with the Easter bunny. Though my mother seemed to believe in Him.
When I was 14, (in 1973), I was into the hedonistic lifestyle...big time!
One day my sister came to visit us from Calgary (we were by Toronto), which was 2,000 miles away. She brought with her, her new husband. He turned out to be a Jesus freak. He wouldn't shut up about Jesus, which I found very uncool.
Anyway, he bugged me non-stop about going to church. Why would anyone want to go to church if it wasn't Christmas? After he nagged me for several days, I finally said, "If I go once, will you stop bugging me?" He said, "Yep."
So we went and it was terrible. They dressed funny, they talked funny, they acted funny, and the music was horrible. And it was bor-ing!
The service ended and I said to my brother-in-law, "Let's go!" Instead, he ran up front and started talking with 2 guys who were part of the church. Then they started walking back towards me. I felt like this was never going to end. When they got to me, they introduced themselves. Then one of them opened a bible and read something to me that I'd never heard before.
It read: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but receive everlasting life."
As they read it, I was somewhere else. A few feet in front of me was a curtain. A hand, holding a sword, thrust out from it and sunk the sword deep into my belly. I instantly knew it was true!
Then I was back with the guy who was reading to me. I broke, they led me in a prayer, and I became a believer in Jesus. I'd like to say I lived happily ever after, but as I knew no Christians, and my brother-in-law went back to Calgary, I eventually went back to my old life.
But he's never given up on me, even when I became an alcoholic/I.V. drug addict.
I'm 62 now and though my life has been one of pain and bitter disappointment, I've come to know Him as my best friend. I know where I'm going, that this life is just passing. I now, for the first time in my life, have no regrets.
Welcome to Christianity Board. I've been here since last July, and though it's full of imperfect people (me being one of them), I've never felt so loved. This is my family. It would be good to see it become yours. :)

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Oneoff. When I was two, my earliest memory was this: I was conscious, aware. Maybe six feet in front of me was a round light, perhaps the size of a beachball. It was very pure white, and bright. All around was dark. It was my first memory.
I was raised in a home where Jesus was the Christmas baby and He had something to do with the Easter bunny. Though my mother seemed to believe in Him.
When I was 14, (in 1973), I was into the hedonistic lifestyle...big time!
One day my sister came to visit us from Calgary (we were by Toronto), which was 2,000 miles away. She brought with her, her new husband. He turned out to be a Jesus freak. He wouldn't shut up about Jesus, which I found very uncool.
Anyway, he bugged me non-stop about going to church. Why would anyone want to go to church if it wasn't Christmas? After he nagged me for several days, I finally said, "If I go once, will you stop bugging me?" He said, "Yep."
So we went and it was terrible. They dressed funny, they talked funny, they acted funny, and the music was horrible. And it was bor-ing!
The service ended and I said to my brother-in-law, "Let's go!" Instead, he ran up front and started talking with 2 guys who were part of the church. Then they started walking back towards me. I felt like this was never going to end. When they got to me, they introduced themselves. Then one of them opened a bible and read something to me that I'd never heard before.
It read: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but receive everlasting life."
As they read it, I was somewhere else. A few feet in front of me was a curtain. A hand, holding a sword, thrust out from it and sunk the sword deep into my belly. I instantly knew it was true!
Then I was back with the guy who was reading to me. I broke, they led me in a prayer, and I became a believer in Jesus. I'd like to say I lived happily ever after, but as I knew no Christians, and my brother-in-law went back to Calgary, I eventually went back to my old life.
But he's never given up on me, even when I became an alcoholic/I.V. drug addict.
I'm 62 now and though my life has been one of pain and bitter disappointment, I've come to know Him as my best friend. I know where I'm going, that this life is just passing. I now, for the first time in my life, have no regrets.
Welcome to Christianity Board. I've been here since last July, and though it's full of imperfect people (me being one of them), I've never felt so loved. This is my family. It would be good to see it become yours. :)
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Me? I'm a dreadful cynic re fanaticism and all things paranormal

Reactions: Truman

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Quite a bit late, but realize I missed the welcome train. I'd call that person welcome. Haha. :) We be telling you about Jesus though and that died and rose again for you.

Reactions: April_Rose

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I reregistered I chose 'Agnostic' because it seemed to be the most appropriate of the available options.
But I have been a firm believer in God since my earliest childhood.
It's just that I have grown to believe in a totally 'universal' God, as distinct from the God who was embraced by those within the Mediterranean confines who penned what we term as 'scripture', and who thought the 'world' was flat, and did not exist beyond the Straits of Gibraltar, simply because ships which sailed out into the Atlantic appeared to drop over the edge of their supposedly 'flat' world. (hence the warning inscriptions to the 'Pillars of Hercules').
To quote from 'their' scriptures "other sheep have I, and those also I must bring into the fold".
Hence my belief in a more 'universal' God who will somehow bring into his fold those from the far eastern antipathy of the Mediterranean (and elsewhere) who might never get to see the Hebrew originated 'scriptures', or hear what Christendom refers to as 'the gospel message'.
But that's only my best plausible overview of what might be the 'universal' mind and intent of God, and because I do not know that to be the case with absolute certainty, I have to consider myself to be 'Agnostic' (in the strict dictionary definition of the word).
But that seems to preclude me from posting in the majority of the site's sub forums ..... so be it if 'needs must'.
I've found that the best way to get real answers is to ask honest questions. Welcome to the Board of the Lord! :)

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
we can start by asking, do you believe in the one true God? 'Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' John 14:6

I believe that the buddha doesn't claim to be a true God, in islam they believe that Mohammad was God but not Lord Jesus and that Jesus was a prophet but we find in the New testament, Jesus is Lord and that's the full book. do you believe in history, B.C. (before Christ) and A.D. possibly stands for (apres dieu) after God/Christ or more like anno domini, Latin for “in the year of the lord,” ? do you believe in what I hear there are altars that were built by the chosen men of God which are still here today? do you believe God would just exist without a book of instruction?

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United Kingdom
For three weeks I've been under the false impression that this thread had died ......when in fact the reason i received no alert notifications was that my computer had somehow logged me off.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For three weeks I've been under the false impression that this thread had died ......when in fact the reason i received no alert notifications was that my computer had somehow logged me off.

That happens to me sometimes too. Not sure why. :confused:

Reactions: Mayflower

Oneoff

Apr 14, 2021
East Anglia
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United Kingdom
[QUOTE="do you believe God would just exist without a book of instruction?[/QUOTE]
I just don't know .... that's just part of why I consider myself to be 'agnostic'.
I do wonder how people can consider that a book that has been the root cause of such incredible denominational division can be considered to be of 'text book 'import' (I presume that you have one of the 100 English versions of the bible in mind).

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="do you believe God would just exist without a book of instruction?
I just don't know .... that's just part of why I consider myself to be 'agnostic'.
I do wonder how people can consider that a book that has been the root cause of such incredible denominational division can be considered to be of 'text book 'import' (I presume that you have one of the 100 English versions of the bible in mind).[/QUOTE]
Sorry, anyway, to me, they're all basically the same and God says, if you seek, you will find. You would also have the Holy Spirit to guide you. I'm not very advanced yet so it's better to ask in the theology room about this. Thanks and welcome aboard again

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do wonder how people can consider that a book that has been the root cause of such incredible denominational division can be considered to be of 'text book 'import' (I presume that you have one of the 100 English versions of the bible in mind).

Textbook isn't relationship. That is the big difference. What I have is a relationship with Jesus Christ. I am a daughter of God. The Bible became a love letter to me rather then a textbook.