Only The Called Are Chosen, However, Not All The Called Are Chosen.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
Only the called are chosen, however, not all the called are chosen.

Matthew 20:16
So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Guy

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Only the called are chosen, however, not all the called are chosen.

Matthew 20:16
So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Guy
Funny thing is, "for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek. Not sure why it was added or removed especially since it is present elsewhere (in Chapter 22).

Regardless, let's read the whole situation (Matthew 22):

22:1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son,3 and sent his servants [1] to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.’ 5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Now what the text does not say is that it was customary of that day for the king to hand out garments for the guests to wear. You notice, the King did not give one of the "called" a garment and thus he was rejected. However I realize this is not always the case and doesn't have Biblical merit so let's keep exploring.
Many will hear and see the call of God. Creation, God's word, etc... We have ears. We can hear. We can hear the call of God with our human ears but we don't hear with our spirits... We can see Creation... But we can't see who it is pointing to unless he has opened our eyes.Many are called- but few are chosen by God. Those chosen by God have their spirit ears opened to the truth. Noone can hear (effectually, spiritually) on their own.

What's this mean in the context of the parable? Well, the King sent out (called) to everyone. Everyone could see what was going on. But only those that the king had given garments to were allowed to enter (the chosen).

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
What was being said there is all are invited (i.e called) to the kingdom of God but not all chosen.. God's invitation went out to everyone but very little accept it.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Funny thing is, "for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek. Not sure why it was added or removed especially since it is present elsewhere (in Chapter 22)....

What manuscript are you looking at when you say "for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek, in Mt 20:16?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010

What manuscript are you looking at when you say "for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek, in Mt 20:16?
If you can't see it, perhaps you just don't know and God will reveal it to you when he's ready.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
If you can't see it, perhaps you just don't know and God will reveal it to you when he's ready.

What are you talking about? I am commenting on YOUR statement that ""for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek." I want to know which manuscript you are looking at. All the Greek texts I have include these words.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
What are you talking about? I am commenting on YOUR statement that ""for many be called, but few chosen" isn't in the original Greek." I want to know which manuscript you are looking at. All the Greek texts I have include these words.

Aggravating as hell when people don't answer your question, isn't it?

BarryD

Feb 8, 2011
In the verse of 1 Corinthians 7:17 it is stated that " the Lord hath (has) called everyone, so let him walk". In Romans 8:30 it is stated that " moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified". My God is "the saviour of all men, specially of those that believe"! That's found in 1 Timothy 4:10.